Lunch stop on way in from HNL airport to Aulani?

twodogs

DIS Veteran
We are flying from Dallas, and will arrive after 8.5 lovely hours on American Airlines (no food provided other than purchased snacks; we will bring some as well) around noon on a Saturday. I was wondering if it would be a good idea to stop right around the airport area to eat after getting the rental car? Everyone will be tired and hungry, I'm sure. We will have my parents, and my kids, ages 8 and 10. Need something easy, but prefer not fast food. I would wait until we got to Aulani, but with the travel time to Aulani from the airport, check in (if room even available), etc, I think it will be upwards of 2-3 hours after we arrive (we will check bags, so have to claim them and get rental car). Any suggestions of places to eat near airport or along the route to Aulani?? And I know that there are lots of warnings about vehicle break-ins, so would it be ok to leave our luggage in the SUV (it will be an Expedition or Suburban size, but not sure if they have covers on the back area or not?)?

Thanks! This is our first visit, so we are unsure on a lot of things...

We always do this when flying into Hawaii! Since you are landing around noon on a Saturday, traffic is probably not going to be a big deal but it is still a bit of a drive from the airport to Aulani (20 mins or so). What we did was stopped in Kapolei, the town just before Aulani. We were getting drinks, snacks, fresh fruit and coffee at Safeway anyway so we ate in that area to avoid stopping more than once. In the Target Plaza is Aloha Salads which is quick but not too fast foodish with salads, soups, bubs and wraps-sort of like Panera http://www.alohasalads.com/about
In the same plaza is Kua Aina and it is on our list for next time, gourmet burgers and fries is what I have read http://www.kuaainahawaii.com/
There are options within the airport too like Burger King, Quiznos, Lahaina Chicken, California Pizza Kitchen etc but obviously expensive and, from my experience, maybe not the cleanest option

Thanks! That is just what I was looking for. We will need to stop for groceries too, since we have a 2 bedroom villa, so it sounds like we can eat, then shop then head to Aulani. Thanks so much for the detailed response!!

May seem like an odd choice for a first meal in Hawaii, but recommend Dixie Grill. ( http://www.dixiegrill.com fairly close to Aloha Stadium). Good BBQ, fairly reasonable in price and just a fun place. Used to go there for lunch all the time when stationed at Hickam AFB.

Traffic wise I'd head out west before grabbing food and stop by Kapolei before Aulani. Heading west any time after 1pm is shady. Traffic builds and doesn't end until about 7pm.

Not sure how adventurous you are, but living in the Kapolei area I have a few suggestions:

Kapolei Shopping Center/Kapolei Marketplace (same location as Safeway):
Julie'Z (Filipino food)
Sushi Bay
L&L
En Fuego (delicious garlic ahi salad!)
Plantation Tavern (a little on the pricier side but delicious, locally sourced food)

Kapolei Commons (same location as Target)
Genki Sushi
Down to Earth (health food store, good veggie/vegan options)
Aloha Salads (Kamuela Cobb, my personal favorite)
Subway
Kua Aina is delicious!

Costco is right across the street if you're looking for fast, cheap and familiar.

As far as grocery stores, I prefer either Tamura's Market or Foodland. Both are locally owned and are generally cheaper than Safeway. However, with as many people as you have with you, Costco seems the better option.

Like I said, not sure how adventurous you folks are, but I love those places. Aulani will cost you at least 2-3 times more, and isn't necessarily better.

Hope that helps!

Don't know when you are traveling to Aulani, but American Airlines just announced that it will be serving food in coach on flights from Dallas to Honolulu starting in May. Also, snacks will be offered again in coach starting in February.

Y'all are just awesome on this board! Thanks again for all the detailed options and woo hoo for AA serving some food in Coach. We leave 5/28 so hopefully that includes us!!

Costco is a good place to get groceries. That area near Target is new and very nice. WalMart on the east end of the business strip and Target, Costco on the west end. Maybe Exit 1 and airport is exit 16 (I think?) I got the small tray of chicken salad, tray of croissants and had fast lunch for days.

I would be cautious about leaving anything in my car - anywhere. Perhaps one person could stay with the car.

Also you might want to find a restaurant that has a restroom. In Hawaii there is no law that restaurants have to have a restroom.

Aulani exit is not far beyond exit 1 (maybe 1 mile), so its close. There are restaurants across the street called Monkey Pod and Just Tacos. I have gotten sandwiches at the ABC store there also. My daughter lives in Honolulu and visits Aulani often. We 've stayed at Marriott timeshare (next door) and enjoyed sunsets, dinner, drinks and live entertainment at the Marriott's "Longboards" . You may enjoy walks along those cut-out lagoons or "bay things". Ohh sigh. Wish I was there!

Thanks all! Any other ideas are welcomed! We will leave someone in the car while we shop at Target.

So, I was planning to do a quick Target run and eat at Genki Sushi on my way to Aulani from HNL. Is this a bad plan if I have no one to leave with the car? Sorry for hijacking!!

May seem like an odd choice for a first meal in Hawaii, but recommend Dixie Grill. ( http://www.dixiegrill.com fairly close to Aloha Stadium). Good BBQ, fairly reasonable in price and just a fun place. Used to go there for lunch all the time when stationed at Hickam AFB.
Thanks for this tip! I just sent them a message to see how they'd handle my food allergy. Would like to try them out in June.

We have left our stuff in the car in Kapolei and in other Hawaiian towns. In a locked trunk, out of sight but still it was all there. The thing is Kapolei (where Target etc is) is very suburban. I guess it is a risk and I probably wouldn't leave high end electronics sitting on my passengers seat or all my suitcases in hanging out the back of a jeep but I wouldnt do that at home (Toronto area ) either. There are some areas of Oahu that are worse than others, the North Shore tends to get a lot of smash and grabs and I probably wouldnt leave my stuff in the car in Waianae or parts of Waikiki but Kapolei is really not bad. Obviously up to you and your own discretion...

Highly recommend Big Kahuna Pizza near the airport (within minutes). It came highly recommended by more than a few locals and it did not disappoint!

Highly recommend Big Kahuna Pizza near the airport (within minutes). It came highly recommended by more than a few locals and it did not disappoint!

That place looks great and so close to the airport! And they have milk shakes!! We may have a winner!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter