Made Emeril's Molten Lava Cake last night. OMG!!

Minnie824

DIS Veteran
It was soooo good! And not that difficult to make. I went out and bought ramekins especially to make this...had them warm with ice cream too....way too filling but delicious. Here's the recipe if anyone wants to try it.

Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, 2001
1 1/2 teaspoons unsalted butter, plus 1/4 pound (1 stick)
1 teaspoon all-purpose flour, plus 2 tablespoons, plus 4 teaspoons
6 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped
2 tablespoons cold heavy cream
2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
2 large eggs
2 large egg yolks
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Pinch salt

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Grease and flour 4 (6-ounce) ramekins or baking dishes with the 1 1/2 teaspoons of butter and 1 teaspoon of flour in each, tapping out the excess flour. Set on a baking sheet.
In a double boiler, or a metal bowl set over a pan of simmering water, melt the remaining 1/4 pound of butter with the chocolate, cream, and powdered sugar, stirring until smooth. Remove from the heat.
In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, egg yolks, sugar, vanilla, and salt until thick ribbons form, about 3 minutes. Sift 2 tablespoons flour into the egg mixture and fold together. Fold the chocolate into the egg mixture. Divide among the prepared dishes and bake until the sides of the cake are set and the tops are puffed but still soft, about 12 minutes.

Remove from the oven and let cool in the ramekins for 2 minutes, then unmold onto dessert plates.

Are these the type of cake where the center is liquidy. If so I want to try these. I have a bunch of bakers chocolate here. I wonder if there is a way to substitute this.

Oh, this is my most favorite dessert, I love the lava cakes! I haven't tried Emeril's yet, but I bet its outstanding.

I might just get motivated and attempt this. Thanks for the recipe! :)

I hope it's ok with Minnie that I post this - but if anyone is looking for a similar recipe, just done differently, here is one off of the cooking light website.

INGREDIENTS
Cooking spray
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
3/4 cup granulated sugar, divided
1/2 cup Dutch process cocoa
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup 1% low-fat milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large egg yolks
4 large egg whites
1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
1 tablespoon powdered sugar

INSTRUCTIONS

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Coat 8 (4-ounce) ramekins with cooking spray, and sprinkle with 2 tablespoons granulated sugar.

Combine 1/2 cup granulated sugar, cocoa, flour, and salt in a small saucepan. Gradually add milk, stirring with a whisk until blended. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook until thick (about 3 minutes), stirring constantly. Remove from heat; let stand 3 minutes. Gradually stir in vanilla and egg yolks. Spoon chocolate mixture into a large bowl; cool.

Place egg whites in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at high speed until foamy. Gradually add 1/4 cup granulated sugar and cream of tartar, beating mixture until stiff peaks form. Gently stir one-fourth of egg white mixture into chocolate mixture; gently fold in remaining egg white mixture and the chopped chocolate. Spoon into prepared ramekins.

Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes or until puffy and set. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.

YIELD: 8 servings

NUTRITIONAL INFO
calories: 206 carbohydrates: 34.1 g cholesterol: 55 mg fat: 5.5 g sodium: 75 mg protein: 5.2 g calcium: 33 mg iron: 1 mg fiber: 2.3 g

Cooking novice here!!

I know this is a stupid question, but what are RAMEKINS???:confused: :confused: :confused:

Ramekins are little dishes about the size of custard cups. Mine have straight sides like little mini-souffle dishes.

Ramikins are cute little non porous ceramic dishes. The standard color is white, but you can find them in many colors. They are sold in every cooking store.

Wow! Sounds heavenly! I think I'm going to try Tykes version, maybe tomorrow even, or Thursday! I love cocoa! They sound delicious. That is mg of fat right Tykes, not g. :eek:

Sounds wonderful! Will have to try making it this week. Thanks for the recipe.:D

Yes, Saffron, it's mg of fat - That has shocked me a couple of times with Cooking Light recipes when I just read it quickly :)

Tamie

ps. It's best served warm. I would think a little dollop of real whipping cream would be wonderful with it too :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter