Magic Band+ on the Dream?

Correct. The KTTW card has your name, dates of sailing and the name of the ship. As PP mentioned, some port security want to verify that you are actually sailing on that ship. A KTTW card provides that extra level of verification, where an MB+ would not.
The port security personnel would need MagicBand readers, and for ports that might only see 1-2 Disney ships a month (or fewer), that would be a training nightmare.

The port security personnel would need MagicBand readers, and for ports that might only see 1-2 Disney ships a month (or fewer), that would be a training nightmare.
It's not about the readers, it's about proof that you are supposed to be on that ship. Because MB+s can be reused, they do not have specific ship names or itinerary dates on them (and while you can have them customized, they don't always have your name on them). So, unlike the KTTW card which does have that info, a MB+ doesn't prove that you are a passenger on that ship.

Princess uses medallions, which are similar but better technology. They are voyage specific and have your name, ship, and itinerary dates on them. They don't get scanned at port security (just when you get back on the ship), but some port security will ask to see your medallion to confirm you are on that ship (and usually photo ID to prove you are who the medallion says you are). No special training or technology needed for the port security (just understanding how to read a medallion).

That’s strange. How did you use you KTTW for initial boarding on a post-Covid cruise? I thought the KTTW cards were always waiting for us on the fish hanger outside our stateroom. They scanned our boarding paperwork with the QR code on it in the terminal and for initial boarding each time, and we have done seven cruises post-Covid after they stopped giving out the KTTW cards at terminal check-in.

I know they want the KTTW card when re-boarding during port stops, but the initial boarding was different.
Ah, sorry, I misspoke. They use your boarding pass (QR code) to scan you on the ship, not your KTTW card. You are correct, those are waiting for you on your FEs. I'll edit my post to clarify, thanks for noticing that!

It's not about the readers, it's about proof that you are supposed to be on that ship. Because MB+s can be reused, they do not have specific ship names or itinerary dates on them (and while you can have them customized, they don't always have your name on them). So, unlike the KTTW card which does have that info, a MB+ doesn't prove that you are a passenger on that ship.
That can't be correct. To use your MagicBand to unlock your room, the Band has to be linked to your room on your cruise...and to use your MagicBand to pay for a beverage or a T-shirt, the Band has to be linked to your account.

Perhaps you are referring only to the physical exterior of the band, which may - or may not - be personalized with your name. But the reader could interface with the ship's systems to verify that you were a passenger onboard...

That can't be correct. To use your MagicBand to unlock your room, the Band has to be linked to your room on your cruise...and to use your MagicBand to pay for a beverage or a T-shirt, the Band has to be linked to your account.

Perhaps you are referring only to the physical exterior of the band, which may - or may not - be personalized with your name. But the reader could interface with the ship's systems to verify that you were a passenger onboard...
With regards to being used as ID/proof that you are on a ship for port security, it has nothing to do with readers. Port security does not scan your bands. They look at your photo ID and some will also ask for some sort of ship ID to prove you are on a ship that is currently in port. They do not scan anything. The DCL cast members will scan your KTTW card or MB as you get back on the ship. But that's different that using it as ID/proof for port security.

So yes, when I said they have your name on it, I meant they physically had your name on it (again, nothing to do with scanning it onboard).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter