Magic band

disneydreamer1980

DIS Veteran
I thought Disney was only selling MB+ now? I ordered a MB online that I thought was cute. It arrived recently and I just noticed that it’s a normal MB. Not a plus. Kind of upset because I wanted a plus and I’m pretty sure it was labeled as a plus on the site. It was the same price as a typical plus and it came with a charger for a MB+ which is strange too. Im just confused because I thought they were only selling pluses on the website now.

The very strange thing is that it came with a charger. If it makes you feel any better, I "upgraded" to a + for our last trip and wish I didn't. It's a pain to have to charge and I don't really think it's worth it any so called extra features.
It stinks that yours cost the same as a plus - maybe it was mismarked.

Maybe post a photo of front and back for people to see and confirm what you got.
I agree with this - it would be bizarre if it was packaged with a charger and wasn’t a plus. Are you sure it’s not? (The only plus I’ve ordered came packaged with the charger, it wasn’t separate).

I mean the old ones didn't have chargers. If it fits in the charger with the little spots on the back, it's a plus. If not, I'd contact Disney customer service and assume it is a packing mistake where the wrong product ended up in the box. I use to work at a distribution center. This kind of thing can happen, especially with product that looks similar. I'd just contact customer service.

Which one in particular did you order? If it came with a charger, it's going to be a MagicBand+. Look on the back of the puck and there should be 2 dots for charging a button that will turn the band on (green), off (red), and connection (blue).

I actually chatted online with someone the other day about magic bands. Traveling with my mom and sis in law and niece in September. They rarely go but still wanted bands. I was hoping to get them the regular Magic bands since they were cheaper…but I was told all Magic bands are now Magic band +’s

I wish they still sold the basic colors in MagicBand2. There’s no reason not to stock the basic ones for those who still want the type that doesn’t require a charger.

I wish they still sold the basic colors in MagicBand2. There’s no reason not to stock the basic ones for those who still want the type that doesn’t require a charger.
You can still get the Magic Band 2 on eBay, and as long as it’s unlinked you can still set it up and use it. Just a quick check shows me unlinked Magic Band 2 options from ~$20.

Yes, but the batteries will be older. I’d like them to be fresh so they capture the ride pics.

Yes, but the batteries will be older. I’d like them to be fresh so they capture the ride pics.
Fair - I've purchased them this way with no problems (and our bands from 2022, purchased on eBay, still captured ride photos in October 2023), but I guess there are no guarantees of that.

The older MBs always worked well for us, but our MB+ bands were a bust. We didn’t find them to be consistently reliable and ended up using a back-up key card half the time. We just request the key cards at the front desk now and they are fine and basically stress-free. And one less item I need to remember to pack. But I know some folks still enjoy using the bands.

The older MBs always worked well for us, but our MB+ bands were a bust. We didn’t find them to be consistently reliable and ended up using a back-up key card half the time. We just request the key cards at the front desk now and they are fine and basically stress-free. And one less item I need to remember to pack. But I know some folks still enjoy using the bands.
Just as a note, the only thing that should be a problem with older MBs is eventually linking ride photos (and just for the automatic ones) - anywhere with tap point should continue to work even once that capability is gone.” (Park entrances, lightning lanes, etc)

So...if I'm understanding everyone right, regular Magic Bands that are a few years old will still work for park entry, LL entry, paying for stuff, and PhotoPass, yes? No need to "upgrade" to the new plus version?

So...if I'm understanding everyone right, regular Magic Bands that are a few years old will still work for park entry, LL entry, paying for stuff, and PhotoPass, yes? No need to "upgrade" to the new plus version?
Old MBs will work for anything that involves tapping Mickey to Mickey. No need to upgrade!

That is true for MB+ as well even if they’re not charged.

MB+ need to be charged, and old MB need a functioning battery, to link ride photos that don’t have tap points.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter