Magical Express is going away on Jan. 1, 2022

Why is nobody talking about taking everybody to DS and dropping them to spend money they have since they just got there while they wait for their rooms to be "ready." It may be more genius than we think, and even more devious.

I was just thinking the same thing. If they still offered the bag delivery service, had themed trains, and if there were no (or just a couple) stops between... and they had check-in services set-up in DS for any issues/requests... I could see that being an appealing option.

But our kids are older now... when they were younger we took advantage of the resort pool while waiting for our room. So that plan wouldn't work as well anymore.

Why in the world is everyone talking about the train as a solution?

1) its not going to be ready any time soon, if ever.
2) unless the station is directly behind cirque or directly across street, youve just ditched a bus service for a train ride followed by a bus?
3) are they really going to have enough trains to meet demand?

Disney sells convenience and luxury stays... Messing with uber/lyft or renting a car ISN'T convenient at all. I'm simply pissed and amazed Disney didn't lead with a replacent to MDE. Poor Disney management at its finest will drive us to Universal maybe literally...

:mad:
Yep, those are great questions. And like I said in earlier comments, why can’t everyone just wait until those are answered? Everyone is jumping to conclusions and freaking out, as if Disney will have zero alternatives to ME. Disney has almost a year before this takes affect.

You say it’s all about $$$$. How do you know that? How do you know it’s not about an issue with Mears, which would not be a first? Couldn’t the timing be January 1, 2022 because that’s when the contract with Mears expires? I mean, Mears has furloughed around 80% of its employees and has permanently eliminated a large number employees. And from what I understand, Mears and Disney were already at odds. Sorry, but I am going to wait for more information to come out before I jump down Disney’s throat on this decision.

The main issue is terrible marketing communications. They cut a great benefit and did not say anything about an alternative they can provide other than there are already other options guests can take on their own. That's why everyone is mad.

Yes there will eventually be a train (2023? doubtful). And I have no problem jumping down their throat because of lack of clear communications or better explanation. I would have been happy if they had said rather than cutting the service completely, they have to start charging guests for the service which I expected years ago. Start off with $10 - $15 per person for the next two years and then cut the service once the train starts to actually run. It's the experience on ME that makes it one of a kind.

The main issue is terrible marketing communications. They cut a great benefit and did not say anything about an alternative they can provide other than there are already other options guests can take on their own. That's why everyone is mad.

Yes there will eventually be a train (2023? doubtful). And I have no problem jumping down their throat because of lack of clear communications or better explanation. I would have been happy if they had said rather than cutting the service completely, they have to start charging guests for the service which I expected years ago. Start off with $10 - $15 per person for the next two years and then cut the service once the train starts to actually run. It's the experience on ME that makes it one of a kind.

They already do charge for the service.... every room pays for magical express regardless of whether they use it. Its part of the room fee they pay. Thats why the pr spin that not as many people are using it makes no sense.

This is an interesting, but I guess not surprising, announcement. Not suprising because of the November deal between Disney and Brightline for a station @ WDW.

Regardless of that rail deal, I noticed another announcement about the retiring of Extra Magic Hours and replacing with a 30min early entry benefit every day for resort guests.

With Magic Express and EMH going away, will Disney replace these resort guest benefits with something similar (post-COVID and rail stop completion)? I have to imagine they will. Maybe complementary rail passes (to replace ME) for example.

If not, what exactly would the cost-benefit be for staying on-site?
The benefit of staying onsite ( as a cash paying customer) would be you now get to pay to park the rental car you never needed before.

Again, my point was the minute I heard a train was set to go from the airport to Disney Springs I said "goodbye Magical Express". I mean why would they have a stop in Disney Springs with the airport. Who flies into Orlando and thinks, "Wouldn't it be great to take a train straight from the airport to Disney Springs? Suitcases? Or we can just wheel them around while we shop!" Whether they line up with each other for closing/opening is not the point, it was that everyone said it was impossible and no way that would ever happen. Well, look what is happening. Hello train stop, goodbye ME...it's not a coincidence.
Well it looks like OKW and SSR will become higher demand resort to stay at for people who do not want to rent a car or ride Uber.

ME wasn’t run by Disney. It was run by Mears. I am guessing there is probably something going on behind the scenes with Mears. I am reserving judgement until all the details on available services is released.
I don't think there is anything going on it is just that WDW wants to push the costs back on the consumer. I would believe Mears will decide to keep up this service but you will now have to pay for it and Mears will have to pay WDW a fee for being a " preferred" Disney provider.

I get it. We just added 300 points direct at CCV. It’s too late to back out. $56k. If this were announced a couple of weeks ago I would not be buying more points. Will our MFs go down since it includes transportation fees? I doubt it.
Bless your heart. I hate that for you.

I don't think there is anything going on it is just that WDW wants to push the costs back on the consumer. I would believe Mears will decide to keep up this service but you will now have to pay for it and Mears will have to pay WDW a fee for being a " preferred" Disney provider.
This and probably will be paying for FP too when they return. It seems like it is a leak that can never be plugged now. What will be the next thing that was once included or "free" that they will charge for? I am not tied to Disney with DVC and I am beginning to think that is probably a good thing for my family now.

I will head down at the end of this month for just a few nights with my daughter and will be utilizing ME for the very first and only time. We will just have carry on luggage so the new baggage claim stuff will not effect us. With Disney continuing to take and take, I can't help but to think it will at some point hurt the value of DVC.

I get it. We just added 300 points direct at CCV. It’s too late to back out. $56k. If this were announced a couple of weeks ago I would not be buying more points. Will our MFs go down since it includes transportation fees? I doubt it.
We added on a resale at CCV and just waiting for the points to get to our bucket and I feel the same way, we wouldn't have purchased more points knowing this.

WDW was already pushing the cost to the customer. As a DVC member, the cost for this service was found under the “Transportation” line item in our maintenance fees. Disney was never picking up the cost and providing it as a free service.

What a nightmare with all your luggage and three car seats...

Train from the airport and a Disney bus from DS to your resort. Luggage moved by truck from the airport to the resort(s). Did I miss something?

If you take an Uber, it can drop you wherever you're staying, just like now.

WDW was already pushing the cost to the customer. As a DVC member, the cost for this service was found under the “Transportation” line item in our maintenance fees. Disney was never picking up the cost and providing it as a free service.

Somebody pays for everything. Better figure out if it's you. ;)

Perhaps we should all look at this from Mears perspective. Sure, it's a cost cutting measure from Disney and from what I've read, being done as the rise of ride-share services diminished the "bubble" effect provided by DME. Still, the revenue Mears was receiving from Disney in providing the DME service isn't something they're just going to give away. The question is going to be how much will they charge to provide the same services that Disney guests received for free?

My bet is they announce they will provide DME like services, and I wouldn't be surprised if one can arrange these services right from within the My Disney Experience app or the Disney website. I'd also expect that price to start off very affordable to ease the sting of now having to pay for the service, but to steadily rise once people begin to forget that DME used to be a free service.

I'd also expect that the service wouldn't be just for Disney property guests, but also off property and other theme parks as well.

For Mears, this is a huge win.

Not a chance. I'm sure Disney would justify it by stating that transportation fees are the busses that run from resort to parks

Mears just released a statement stating that they will continue to offer transportation but no details on cost or specifics were available at this time. Some hope is still alive. Hopefully it won't be too costly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter