"Maintain the integrity of the show"...Your opinions on this

MaC410

DIS Veteran
So I just read a little while ago that a certain popular vlogger (not sure if I'm allowed to say names because I don't want to be seen as advertising or anything) known to spend much time in the Disney parks was asked yesterday to deny photo requests from fans in order to "maintain the integrity of the show". The general thinking coming from this is that Disney doesn't want guests to see other guests requesting to take pictures with someone and mistake that person as part of "the show".

How do you feel about stuff like this? Do you think something like this does hurt the integrity of "the show"?

I feel like I'm torn. I do understand Disney's reasoning but at the same time people like this vlogger pretty much are free advertisement for the Disney parks. I know I'm not alone but I learn about things through some of these vlogs and they get me to do things at Disney World I'd probably not do if I didn't see these videos.

I think I am with Disney here. A one off or so is no big deal but vlogging is becoming a big business and as this happens more and more, it is best to nip it in the bud in my opinion. One thought I had was Tim's mustache is so prominent I can see Disney guests who are watching confusing him as a Disney character of unknown origin. Just a thought!

So I just read a little while ago that a certain popular vlogger (not sure if I'm allowed to say names because I don't want to be seen as advertising or anything) known to spend much time in the Disney parks was asked yesterday to deny photo requests from fans in order to "maintain the integrity of the show". The general thinking coming from this is that Disney doesn't want guests to see other guests requesting to take pictures with someone and mistake that person as part of "the show".

How do you feel about stuff like this? Do you think something like this does hurt the integrity of "the show"?

I feel like I'm torn. I do understand Disney's reasoning but at the same time people like this vlogger pretty much are free advertisement for the Disney parks. I know I'm not alone but I learn about things through some of these vlogs and they get me to do things at Disney World I'd probably not do if I didn't see these videos.
The vlogger is being discussed on the Unplugged Board:
Tim Tracker advised not to take selfies with guests at Magic Kingdom

One thought I had was Tim's mustache is so prominent I can see Disney guests who are watching confusing him as a Disney character of unknown origin. Just a thought!

It's funny I was actually thinking the same thing about the mustache haha!

Yeah, I kind of see Disney's point here. Speaking generally (not about the Trackers), but you don't want to get to a point where there is a crowd or a line forming around a non-authorized figure of any sort

Totally ridiculous. On any given day there are literally hundreds of thousands (if not more) of selfies taken at WDW by guests. Is Disney's new policy going to be that you can only take selfies with relatives? Are they going to tell ALL vloggers and Instagrammers that they can no longer take selfies with people. Picture taking is ALWAYS somewhat distracting in the parks - who hasn't had to suddenly stop walking when they realize they are about to walk in front of someone who is trying to take a picture of their family - that situation often results in a small "crowd" of guests waiting for the person to get their photo so they can pass. I'm willing to bet the vast majority of people have no idea who Tim or any other vlogger is and don't even notice if they are taking selfies with fans.

I think I am with Disney here. A one off or so is no big deal but vlogging is becoming a big business and as this happens more and more, it is best to nip it in the bud in my opinion. One thought I had was Tim's mustache is so prominent I can see Disney guests who are watching confusing him as a Disney character of unknown origin. Just a thought!

Agreed. A couple vloggers here and there might not be a big deal now, but it's much easier to enforce a rule if you put it in place early on and stick to it consistently. Frankly, it ties in with their existing rules about posing for pictures when attending MNSSHP in costume, so I don't see how this is surprising at all. Beyond crowd management, it's also about protecting their intellectual property, which includes avoidance of apparent ownership or endorsement of his vlog when they do not in fact have any legal rights or control regarding whatever he chooses to publish.

I didn't understand at all what the initial post was talking about
After reading other comments I get it.
What I don't get is why would you want your photo taken with some random guy who vlogs about Disney? Folks consider them famous? I guess I'm too old to get that. Bloggers/vloggers aren't famous. They are just regular old people. I don't see the need for a photo with them. I think it's rather stupid for Disney to have any opinion on it at all.

Private property, Disney has a subtle policy on this ... as a guest on property they expect you to adhere. No reason for anyone to get upset about it. They asked them to stop taking pictures with guests, so stop. What's the big deal? Disney isn't asking you to not make money, not video while in the park, not blog/vlog.

And if one says, why is it a big deal to Disney? TimT stands out, people recognize him. Even if they don't if folks are taking pictures with him, others will wander over, join in, maybe form a line to meet him. In Disney's book it's a distraction, it then appears to be a maybe Disney official meet & greet, if Tim says something un-Disney or inappropriate in conversation ... it just gets muddy.

What I don't get is why would you want your photo taken with some random guy who vlogs about Disney? Folks consider them famous? I guess I'm too old to get that. Bloggers/vloggers aren't famous. They are just regular old people. I don't see the need for a photo with them. I think it's rather stupid for Disney to have any opinion on it at all.

Hahahha, same here!!! I barely have the patience to stand in line for Disney characters, let alone some random blogger whether or not I truly enjoy their content!

With the internet, anyone can be a celebrity now!

They provide entertainment to hundreds of thousands of people that subscribe to their channel. I don't think their content and means of providing entertainment disqualifies them from being famous.

There were some other vloggers a while back who had a meet up and quite a few folks came and then they were asked to disperse and yeah, I think these things can turn into a mess

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter