• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

MAJOR Pixie Dust!!

I have a hard time believing people are requesting an upgrade in their room requests.

You probably wouldn't believe what you would find, lol. If there's a way to try and get upgraded, people have probably done it.

Simple google search takes you to other sites that can't be named/linked here and it's people asking what they can do to increase the chance of an upgrade. Whether it be things they do before their trip or at the check-in counter.

It's pretty pathetic actually that people go with the expectations of getting upgraded, when in fact, it's pure luck.

Very true mousehockey37! We've never been the kind to announce every birthday,anniversary,etc. just to see what extra we can get. We're lucky enough just to be able to afford to go to Disney and then this happens! Disney Magic!

I'm very happy you got a pretty magical upgrade, but please realize that not everyone that announces happiness in their life is trying to get extras, or as another poster here termed it, is "pathetic." My DBF and i have celebrated our "date-iversary" at WDW for 10 years running and plan to celebrate #11 this August along with our recent engagement. We are just happy to be in our favorite place, celebrating our togetherness and how deliriously happy we are. Announcing this to Disney doesn't mean we're looking for something for nothing or are pathetic.

I'm very happy you got a pretty magical upgrade, but please realize that not everyone that announces happiness in their life is trying to get extras, or as another poster here termed it, is "pathetic." My DBF and i have celebrated our "date-iversary" at WDW for 10 years running and plan to celebrate #11 this August along with our recent engagement. We are just happy to be in our favorite place, celebrating our togetherness and how deliriously happy we are. Announcing this to Disney doesn't mean we're looking for something for nothing or are pathetic.

That's fine, go ahead and put it on there. It's allowed, do it.

What I'm referring to are the people who book lower and basically go and try to bribe their way to an upgrade. How/What they do is up to them, but there are people out there that expect it to happen and then come here crying when they don't get it and say Disney killed the magic of their trip when it doesn't happen.

I never said you couldn't put down special occasions, it's actually quite common. You just have to have a lot of things either go right or wrong or both when the dude doing the room assignments gets in that day, lol.

All I've said in this entire thread is that this particular OP got an upgrade without trying for one. Pure Disney Pixie Dust. No expectations.

To you @Scott MC my DGF and I are like you and yours. We go and are just happy to be there and if anything beyond that happens, awesome!

Congrats on your upgrade! We were upgraded for free from a standard room at the Poly to CL several years ago. We requested nothing...however DH ordered flowers from the Disney Florist to celebrate our anniversary to be delivered to our room. Whether that contributed to our upgrade is anybody's guess but we enjoyed it! No Poly upgrade on our most recent visit last month..but we didn't expect one.

Yippee OP, love to hear of pixie dust!

We have been very lucky and upgraded several times and we re always taken aback .. never expected but so lovely to feel that special sprinkle of pixie dust. Enjoy!!!!

That's fine, go ahead and put it on there. It's allowed, do it.

What I'm referring to are the people who book lower and basically go and try to bribe their way to an upgrade. How/What they do is up to them, but there are people out there that expect it to happen and then come here crying when they don't get it and say Disney killed the magic of their trip when it doesn't happen.

I never said you couldn't put down special occasions, it's actually quite common. You just have to have a lot of things either go right or wrong or both when the dude doing the room assignments gets in that day, lol.

All I've said in this entire thread is that this particular OP got an upgrade without trying for one. Pure Disney Pixie Dust. No expectations.

To you @Scott MC my DGF and I are like you and yours. We go and are just happy to be there and if anything beyond that happens, awesome!

The most that's ever happened due to our announcing our Anniversary in terms of doing that and nothing else is that at check-in at the BC, the CM asked if we'd like to get a King Bed room (which I guess is rare at the BC). We said "sure," and went to the room. And it had the most terrible view you could ever imagine. We went right back to the desk and politely asked which room we were originally assigned and it came out that we'd booked standard and been upgraded to a garden view room. Not the world's most amazing view but way better than the king bed room which turned out to be standard. The CM at the desk thought in her heart of hearts that we'd rather a king bed. So in this case, our announcing brought us negative pixie dust-with good intentions!
Otherwise, call us attention whores, but we like being wished happy anniversary by CMs and characters! If at some point, that brings us a room upgrade, then that's delightful, but we don't put it on our reservation expecting it.

The most that's ever happened due to our announcing our Anniversary in terms of doing that and nothing else is that at check-in at the BC, the CM asked if we'd like to get a King Bed room (which I guess is rare at the BC). We said "sure," and went to the room. And it had the most terrible view you could ever imagine. We went right back to the desk and politely asked which room we were originally assigned and it came out that we'd booked standard and been upgraded to a garden view room. Not the world's most amazing view but way better than the king bed room which turned out to be standard. The CM at the desk thought in her heart of hearts that we'd rather a king bed. So in this case, our announcing brought us negative pixie dust-with good intentions!
Otherwise, call us attention whores, but we like being wished happy anniversary by CMs and characters! If at some point, that brings us a room upgrade, then that's delightful, but we don't put it on our reservation expecting it.

I've gotten to the point that when we go, it's normally around my birthday. Well, over the course of the week with the birthday button, I'd actually stop wearing it and I'd put it on my camera bag. It actually started to get annoying at times or I'd feel bad that I just didn't hear the "Happy Birthday" anymore because I'd heard it so much.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter