Mama Melrose - changed my opinion

GrandFloridian4

Cruising is MAGICal & WONDERful
On a recent thread, I posted in support of MM, but last night we really had a disappointing experience, sorry to say. We had eaten at MM many times & each time had an enjoyable experience, but last night wasn't the case.

I made PS for my DH & me for 7:30 pm. with no problems. We arrived at 7:15 & checked in immediately, along with another party of 4 for the same time. The hostess told us both that it should be approximately 5 min. Great! We're gonna get in either early or, at least, on time ---- we thought!

For the next 15 min. maybe 3 more parties came in, checked in & were seated by 7:30. We figured they were the ones with the reservations prior to ours. However, around 7:40, still not seated, we watched a number of other parties, a few of them 2 people, several of groups 4 or 6 people, walk in, check in, & be seated within 10 min.

Although we did not mind the wait - it was allowing us to increase our appetites & we were enjoying looking at all of the pictures on the wall - I asked my DH to just check with the hostess to make sure that we hadn't missed our call because a few 2-parties had been seated & they had come in after 7:30 & were called within minutes. The hostess informed him that we were "still on the waiting list & that they were "doing their best" to get everyone seated". So, we just asked for a menu to look at, as did the other party that came in at the same time as we did & had the reserv. for the same time as us.

By 7:55, several other parties had come in, checked in, waited a few minutes & were called & seated. By now, the DH of the other party waiting had approached & asked the hostess what was going on. She replied the same way to him, but began to speak quietly to another hostess. My DH & I figured that it must be packed inside with the wait we had. Imagine our surprise when, finally called to be seated at 8:00 pm, we observed several - probably 10 - empty tables, 1/2 of which remained empty our entire meal?!? Were they "saving" these tables? Had parties not shown for their reservations? Although we were not upset about waiting, I wondered why we were not seated earlier, when we checked in at 7:15, our PS was for 7:30 & other parties of 2 arriving 7:35-7:40 were seated long before us. Had they arrived late for their reserv. & still been seated before us?

My DH & I both ordered the minestrone soup - which was delicious! We both ordered the Chicken Parm. for dinner & both of us thought it was "fair". The breasts were thick & juicy, but the sauce was very bland & there wasn't much of it. I asked for a side of sauce for us to share. C.P. is my DH's favorite meal & he orders it at many places (probably too much;) ) & he felt that MM's was less tasty than even Olive Garden's. I'd have to agree. We've had the Penne Vodka before & liked it, but it's been awhile. And I know my DS did not care for his pizza at MM's when we went last year.

Our waitress was friendly, but not particularly good. As she put our soups down, we asked for pepper (salt & pepper are not on the tables) & she said, "Ok" & then proceeded to wait on two other tables. After over 5 min. I asked another waitress if she would get us some pepper & she responded, "Your waitress can get that for you" & I told her we had asked, but hadn't received it yet & would like it for the soup. After a few minutes she brought it out. She also brought us our entree's. About half-way thru our meal, our original waitress showed up, removed our soup bowls & asked if everything was o.k. We asked if she could bring us some bread & some extra sauce. She brought the sauce & a glass of water, but no bread. We just gave up & didn't ask again. (I have to say, that after reading here on the boards about what servers may do to your food if they don't care for you, I decided not to drink any of the water that she gave me without my asking for it. :rolleyes: If she couldn't bring us things we'd ask for, I certainly wasn't going to eat or drink things we hadn't asked for!!:eek: )

When the bill came, we decided that we were going to split the tip between the waitresses. So we called over the other, helpful waitress & gave her a cash tip & charged, as we usually do, our waitress' 1/2 of the tip to our bill.

Curiously, as I mentioned before, at least 1/2 of the tables - some large, some small - that were vacant as we were seated, were still vacant as we left!?!

I don't think we'll be rushing back here anytime soon. Although we didn't have a 'horrible' meal or experience, it wasn't as we remembered & there are enough other places to eat. I don't know if they've changed their chef's, but we remembered the food to be better than it was. However, to end on a positive note, I'll say again, that the minestrone soup was very tasty & we did enjoy it very much.

We had a nearly identical experience at MM back in May '05 and haven't returned because of it. I too had the chicken parm and thought it was sub par to Olive Garden. Our waiter was terrible and he tried to mask his lack of effort by being over friendly...normally I'm happy to have a friendly, outgoing waiter, but it grew old REALLY fast when we couldn't get our food (we had to beg for drinks, appetizers, etc). The place was EMPTY as well and while it didn't take us long to be seated, it did take forever for our food to come out. There were two other families seated 10-15 mins after us, ordered 10-15 mins after us and got their food about 15-20 minuted BEFORE us. And, our entrees were cold. Obviously they had been sitting in the pick up area for a long time.

We live in an area where fabulous Italian food is abundant. I just figured my standards were too high by default, but MM was definitely the worst of all our meals in many years at WDW.

I guess I'm the odd ball here. I loved MM and can't wait to eat there again! We had about a 20 minute wait for our 5:30pm ADR, our service was great, the veal osso bucco was EXCELLENT and the two others in my party enjoyed their meal too (penne pasta and I don't remember the other). We even got a free dessert, compliments of our waiter; no idea why!
Thanks for the warning though! I'll try to arrive early for our dinner and I'll make sure to tell DH not to get the Chicken Parm.

We love MM, but also noticed many empty tables during our meal. They were telling walk ins that they were booked for the night and had quite a few ppl waiting to be seated :crazy: :crazy:

Same thing happened here (although we did not have a long wait to be seated for our ADR). Walk-ins were being turned away and when we were seated (about 10 mins) over half the restaurant seemed to have vacant tables. We were told, at Flying Fish ealier, that there is a serious shortage of help at WDW. If there are a shortage of servers (or competent servers) that would explain not filling the tables and overwhelmed staff.

Sorry to hear you didn't have agood experience.

I hope if you decide to go again it's much better for you

If they are for any reason short on waitstaff, then they will not seat all tables. If they filled the tables, but had no one to work them... well that would just be bad. It could be as simple as someone calling in right before their shift and they were still hunting a replacement or had none on call at that moment.

LilyWDW said:
......If they filled the tables, but had no one to work them... well that would just be bad. It could be as simple as someone calling in right before their shift and they were still hunting a replacement or had none on call at that moment.

Good point!

Wow. That's a bummer. Should be interesting.........we eat there next week with the Fant. dinner pkg. With three children, I hope we don't have to wait 45 minutes to be seated like you.

But thanks for the review. :)

I'm afraid to even ask what may happen to your food/water if they don't like you... :confused3 :eek:

That is a perfect example of why we have yet to eat at MM !!
We had reservations a few years ago for when they opened, Noon I think it was.
Got there, we were the second group in the door, after a family of 5. We had ADR's for 2, they had ADR's as well. We all sat or stood around, looking at the lobby decor.

Twenty minutes later, they had seated everyone who came in behind us with ADR's (which could not have been earlier than ours, since it just opened), and were beginning to seat walk-ins. We, and the family of 5, were still standing/sitting there, with the first possible ADR times of the day. When the wife of that group asked at the podium (very politely), they told her she would just have to wait another couple of minutes. When she asked why, since they were already seating people without ADR's who came in at least 15 minutes after us, the hostess had no clue, and went about addressing other patrons.
We walked out, as did that family.
Haven't considered going back since....

Robert P said:
That is a perfect example of why we have yet to eat at MM !!
We had reservations a few years ago for when they opened, Noon I think it was.
Got there, we were the second group in the door, after a family of 5. We had ADR's for 2, they had ADR's as well. We all sat or stood around, looking at the lobby decor.

Twenty minutes later, they had seated everyone who came in behind us with ADR's (which could not have been earlier than ours, since it just opened), and were beginning to seat walk-ins. We, and the family of 5, were still standing/sitting there, with the first possible ADR times of the day. When the wife of that group asked at the podium (very politely), they told her she would just have to wait another couple of minutes. When she asked why, since they were already seating people without ADR's who came in at least 15 minutes after us, the hostess had no clue, and went about addressing other patrons.
We walked out, as did that family.
Haven't considered going back since....

Wow! That's sounds almost identical to what happened to us!?!?! Can understand a shortage of help not filling all tables, but everyone AFTER your PS time walking in & being seated for the next 30 min.???? Didn't make sense to us!:confused3

We were there for lunch this past week. We waited no more than 5 mins for our ADR. We did notice a lot of empty tables with a big wait in the lobby. By the end of our meal, they did seem to fill. Maybe they stagger the seating for each server so not everyone is ready to order, eat and leave at the same time?

Good lunch, not great.

We were at MM in June. On dining plan and had ADR's. I don't remember if we waited long for our table, just remember we won't go back. We had only been there one other time and remember it as being good. We too have many good local italian family places to eat in our area so I was expecting the same quality of food. DH had the chick parm too and had to order more sauce. It was very tasteless. I had the penne vodka and that was tasteless too. I make it at home and it's not too hard. Can't understand where the flavor goes? We were very dissapointed we wasted a meal credit on this place. Sorry !

We were seated before our res time, had excellent service, the food was good (have the tiramusu!!) and I did notice empty tables but like someone said I think they staggered them.
Unfornately a thunderstorm cme and we didn't see Fantasmic..oh well.

After reading the above complaints about MM it makes me look forward to my evening home cooked favorites like grilled porterhouse steaks, or even Cowboy Speghetti. We will probably plan on most of our evening meals at the campsite if the reviews continue like these.

Jim

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter