Marathon Weekend 2016

Bad news for me. I was just laid off from my job. Unless I can get something else lined up in the next two weeks, I don't see how I can possibly do the marathon. I'm so sad and disappointed.

I'm so sorry to hear this. Are you going to be able to get a refund for any of your travel expenses?

Bad news for me. I was just laid off from my job. Unless I can get something else lined up in the next two weeks, I don't see how I can possibly do the marathon. I'm so sad and disappointed.

Dang, I'm so so sorry. Hopefully something will work out.

I have a kind of strange question. I know that a lot of people wear garbage bags to help them stay warm in the corrals. Is there a place to get rid of them at race time? I want to do this too but I wouldn't want to create a hazard for someone behind me...
Also, is main st. bakery open during the 1/2?
Thank you all in advance!

They also have bins on the side where you can toss clothing to be donated. I usually go to the thrift store and buy a sweatshirt or jacket for a couple dollars and wear that while waiting for the race. Then I toss it in the donation bin when I warm up.

They also have bins on the side where you can toss clothing to be donated. I usually go to the thrift store and buy a sweatshirt or jacket for a couple dollars and wear that while waiting for the race. Then I toss it in the donation bin when I warm up.
My friends wife has found a couple things that work particularly well. Old bathrobes from the thrift store are excellent for keeping warm and easy to take off, old fleece blankets are great to wrap up in, and as the Hitchiker's Guide points out towels are also quite versatile.

That's awful. I am sorry to hear that. Can you get unemployment until you find something at least? How is the economy in your area? I hope you find something soon!!!

So sorry to read that. Hope you can find something quickly.

My friends wife has found a couple things that work particularly well. Old bathrobes from the thrift store are excellent for keeping warm and easy to take off, old fleece blankets are great to wrap up in, and as the Hitchiker's Guide points out towels are also quite versatile.

Yes! Clothes are a much better way of keeping warm than plastic garbage bags. Disney collects thousands of pounds of clothes each year during marathon weekend and donates them to those in need afterward. Plus, they're much safer than black trash bags. They're easier to toss over the fence of the corral or into one of the collection boxes. Trash bags end up getting dropped in the road and becoming hazards that people trip on.

Last edited:

I am so sorry to hear this! I really hope something works out for you. What a horrible time of year for layoffs!

The meetup is on Friday at 4pm at Pop. Look for the people wearing bright green WISH shirts.

we are park hoping that day but plan to break for a bit right around this time and we are staying at AoA so I should be able to pop over and at least say hi to whoever might be there

awful news, I really hate when companies do that this time of year not that there's ever a good time but during the holidays is especially nasty

I am so sorry to read this and wish you well in your job search. Stay positive.

I am so sorry to read this. Hope you are able to find something you like to do.

Lol, see that means we were probably sitting right next to each other and didn't even know it. I know for me, I'll have the list of 5K finishing times to see if I can spot anyone at the finish. :)

We very well could have been. There were not many runners at that holding point.

Very rough news at a bad time -- I'm so sorry this is happening... and happening now :(

Past Dopey runners - We have to walk through the Dopey tent after each race correct? But then they only actually check anything after the Full? The event guide wording makes it sound this way and I thought this is what I remember people saying.

Past Dopey runners - We have to walk through the Dopey tent after each race correct? But then they only actually check anything after the Full? The event guide wording makes it sound this way and I thought this is what I remember people saying.

You are correct. Walk through the tent after each event. On marathon day, they will slow you down and check the computer system to verify your picture matches at expo and each finish (when you walked through the tent). If everything works out, you get your Dopey medal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter