Marathon Weekend 2018

My POT was 12:16/mile and my projected finish time submitted was 5:20. Track Shack said they added 0:30/mile to my POT to account for the distance difference. And, Trackshack acknowledged that the POT was properly entered prior to the 10/3 deadline.

Using any one of several online pace calculators, a 2:40 half corresponds to a 5:30-5:40 full. I'd say they got you exactly right.

Not sure what you mean by not honoring it. What PoT did you submit? What estimated finish time did you put? Taken together, rD will assign you a corral. It's possible, but unlikely, they simply ignored both data points.

It's unlikely many people expect their half time to be merely doubled for their marathon time. Common sense says you slow down as the distance increases.
Understood, but why even permit a 10-miler as POT for a marathon? I didn't make that rule up. I just followed it. Besides, that POT was over 4 months ago, and my 20 mile long runs are being completed at least 0:30 faster than the POT I submitted for the 10 miler. Again, if the goal is to keep people down who submit 10 mile or HM distance POTs then they should just do away with the submissions for those two distances altogether.

Understood, but why even permit a 10-miler as POT for a marathon? I didn't make that rule up. I just followed it. Besides, that POT was over 4 months ago, and my 20 mile long runs are being completed at least 0:30 faster than the POT I submitted for the 10 miler. Again, if the goal is to keep people down who submit 10 mile or HM distance POTs then they should just do away with the submissions for those two distances altogether.

I’d guess they use the 10 miler as just another entry point for people to use. A lot of people heading into a Disney marathon may not have run a full or even a half for that matter. And while there aren’t a ton of ten mile races it does give people another option to use. Best option, probably not but is what it is.

Also Disney or any race simply can’t know what each individual person’s progress is. So while it’s great that your training hasn’t resulted in faster paces, it has no bearing on anything once you turn in a POT. Some people turned a POT like 10 months ago.

You can save the calculator. I'm an experienced runner. In fact, I was a an ironman triathlete in the mid-90's before I had to give it because of a brain tumor. I recently got back into running about a year ago, and understand the sport and timing as well as anyone.

Obviously you don’t understand, considering the conversation that’s taking place (and going in circles) right now. We have athletes here of all calibers and there is zero reason to try to pull some kind of athlete card. Also, there are people posting in this thread that probably weren’t even alive yet in the mid-90s so not sure why that card is being pulled to begin with. :confused3

Is the possible confusion over the term "POT" (Proof Of Time)?

The definition of Proof of Time in Disney's eyes is for you to submit your best possible time at either a 10 mile race, HM race or M race. In almost all cases this will be a recent PR level performance within the allowable submission window. An assessment on your current fitness (or best possible fitness) during their defined time frame. If you choose to run a shorter distance (10 miler or HM), then your PR level time is converted using a race equivalency calculator to estimate what you may be capable of based on that result at a different distance (in this case a marathon).

Whereas, it seems as if your definition of "Proof of Time" is defined as running what you believe to be your desired Disney race pace distance (in this case a marathon) for a shorter distance during the timeframe defined by Disney. Hence, you're "proving" you are capable of running 10 miles or 13.1 miles at your desired 26.2 mile Disney race pace.

Does that seem to define the confusion between Disney's definition and your possible definition (just my guess as I don't know for sure and am just trying to be helpful)?

You can save the calculator. I'm an experienced runner. In fact, I was a an ironman triathlete in the mid-90's before I had to give it because of a brain tumor. I recently got back into running about a year ago, and understand the sport and timing as well as anyone.

I’m sorry that TrackShack - the acting race director for RunDisney - as well as many veteran RunDisney athletes on this message board aren’t giving you the answer you’d like to hear.

You were corralled where TrackShack saw fit based on their corralling criteria. It’s their race series to define protocol as they see fit ... all of which you agree to by registering.

Marathon Weekend DIS List FORM
Race - 10K
Name (optional) - Kris
DIS Name - Garneska
Costume - None
Corral - B???
Planning to attend the Pre-race Meetup? - not sure
Front, Middle, or Back of the corral - Not sure
Expected Pace - 9 min miles

Race - Full
Name (optional) - Kris
DIS Name - Garneska
Costume - None
Corral - B but dropping to C to start with DH
Planning to attend the Pre-race Meetup? - no
Front, Middle, or Back of the corral - Not sure
Expected Pace - 10 min miles

Race - Full
Name (optional) - Alex
DIS Name - Novatrix
Costume - None (possibly Mickey Mouse if the weather is on the cooler side)
Corral - D
Planning to attend the Pre-race Meetup? - Probably not... I try not to inflict my half-awake, zombie self on others. I'll just clutch my coffee and stare into the distance somewhere off to the side. ;)
Front, Middle, or Back of the corral - Most likely front to middle, wherever I can scope out a personal bubble
Expected Pace - 10:00/mile

Again, if the goal is to keep people down who submit 10 mile or HM distance POTs then they should just do away with the submissions for those two distances altogether.
I submitted a 10 miler as my POT: 1:10:41 race time for a 7:04 pace. But my HM pace is much slower (1:36 time / 7:19 pace). And FM is even slower (3:32 for an 8:04 pace). So, based on my race results, I'm at the high end of the 'add 30 seconds to 1 minute to your 10 mile time' estimator. I don't think Track Shack is keeping me down for this race as I'm in Corral A -- but overall, I think the things keeping me down are Father Time, Mother Nature and other minor details like effort/training/nutrition/sleep/work/family. :)

Sorry to hear about your brain tumor Jim -- all the best to you on your race. BTW, my first marathon was Mickey 2011 and I started in the last corral and ran a 4:56 -- and had a blast. So, while a bit crowded, I think you can still maintain your goal pace even starting further back.

Race - 5K
Name (optional) - Lauren
DIS Name - lauriko
Costume - TinkerBell
Corral - E?
Planning to attend the Pre-race Meetup? - No
Front, Middle, or Back of the corral - Front
Expected Pace - pictures pictures everywhere!

Race - 10K
Name (optional) - Lauren
DIS Name - lauriko
Costume - Minnie Mouse inspired
Corral - E?
Front, Middle, or Back of the corral - Front
Expected Pace - taking it slow, so who knows?

Race - Half
Name (optional) - Lauren
DIS Name - lauriko
Costume - not sure yet
Corral - F
Front, Middle, or Back of the corral - Front to Middle
Expected Pace - 13:00ish

Race - Full
Name (optional) - Lauren
DIS Name - lauriko
Costume - Aurora inspired, I hope
Corral - F
Front, Middle, or Back of the corral - Front to Middle
Expected Pace - 13:00ish

Super excited and a bit freaked out to be taking on Dopey, but happy to be hanging out with great friends and having fun!

Obviously you don’t understand, considering the conversation that’s taking place (and going in circles) right now. We have athletes here of all calibers and there is zero reason to try to pull some kind of athlete card. Also, there are people posting in this thread that probably weren’t even alive yet in the mid-90s so not sure why that card is being pulled to begin with. :confused3

I think we should be friends. :flower3:

Anyone else in the midst of their Dopey Sim or did theirs last weekend? I'm curious about your experience with it and how you feel it helped you.

I've decided that my strategy will be sort of a weird mostly walking slow 5K, 10K, and Half where I go for a maximum amount of time and just try to enjoy the course, pictures, and barely beat the balloons. And then I'm going to save myself for the Full and enjoy running it :)

So far, the Dopey Sim has actually proven helpful to find where that slow pace is and how to get there. I'm sticking to around a 15 minute mile, which is about 1 minute of running and 4 minutes of walking. That will be adjusted during the race for photo stops, so it may be "stand around in a line for 10 mins and run 2 mins until the next picture line" on race day.

What I want to feel is the affect of the 4 early mornings combined with the long run on Saturday. It's also allowed me to try shoes and I recognize that my Brooks aren't good for walks, while my New Balance aren't good for runs. I think I now found my shoes for each race too by doing this.

Tomorrow is 10 miles at 15 min/mile. A very long 2.5 hours, but I've downloaded some PodCasts to listen to so i can laugh and enjoy the time on my feet.

@courtneybeth I’ve heard of people walking/mostly walking the shorter races but that idea freaked me out - seemed like more time on my feet than necessary - so I never did it. I just took all of the races at a relaxed, similar pace and that worked great for me. :) but everyone is different and I think it’s smart to test it out first.

I’ve run Disney races on both coasts, but this is my first marathon distance with Disney. I’ve been looking forward to riding Expedition Everest during, but are there other rides open as well?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter