• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Marathon Weekend 2018

Well I think that is a different scenario than many of us on this board. Yours was the difference between the first or second corral, and a matter of 12 seconds. So I can understand them putting you in Corral B. For others of us, there is a HUGE difference from being put in Corral D and Corral H (the last corral). Putting sub 4 hour marathoners in a group of 7 hour marathoners seems a bit more drastic and confusing.

I didn't realize there were people on this board who submitted proof of time equating to a sub 4 hour marathon that were put in the 7 hour corral. My apologies!

Race - Marathon
Name (optional) - Craig
DIS Name - cburnett11
Costume - No
Corral - F
Planning to attend the Pre-race Meetup? - yes
Front, Middle, or Back of the corral - Front
Expected Pace - 13:00

I received an email today from runDisney about the expo and waivers, at the bottom they had a logo display of "friends of runDisney" and New Balance was still listed. I'm assuming they haven't updated it yet, not that they are going to surprise us with NB shoes?

Also I asked this a few days ago but I'm pretty sure it's buried in all the posts of our corral excitement (or disappointment). We have Race Retreat. How do we get into the Expo at 10am on opening day? Do we print out the form from Active and they scan the QR code?
Last year they sent an email with a PDF attachment that had a QR code in it. You had to use that to get on the expo transportation early and to get into the expo.

Well I think that is a different scenario than many of us on this board. Yours was the difference between the first or second corral, and a matter of 12 seconds. So I can understand them putting you in Corral B. For others of us, there is a HUGE difference from being put in Corral D and Corral H (the last corral). Putting sub 4 hour marathoners in a group of 7 hour marathoners seems a bit more drastic and confusing.

If you submitted a PoT equivalent to a sub-4 and a sub-4 estimated finish time and ended up in the last corral, then the Runner Relations desk should be able to help you out. If you didn't submit one of those two, or neither of them, then it's unlikely you'll be able to have any changes made. It's why they tell you to make sure you get both a PoT and a finish time entered as part of your registration before the October deadline.

If you submitted a PoT equivalent to a sub-4 and a sub-4 estimated finish time and ended up in the last corral, then the Runner Relations desk should be able to help you out. If you didn't submit one of those two, or neither of them, then it's unlikely you'll be able to have any changes made. It's why they tell you to make sure you get both a PoT and a finish time entered as part of your registration before the October deadline.

And when you are insane, you check it 4 bazillion times to be sure you entered it all correctly. Not that I would know anything about that.

Judging by comments on this thread, I assuming Disney does not post which characters are on the coarse and where? Are there any that have been consistently over the last few years for the half? Just trying to plan out the stops. And also, why doesn't Disney post where characters will be?

Besides what others have mentioned, you can usuallly count on Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, Chip, and Dale to be in WWOS. They will have referee or sports costumes on.

Speaking of Characters...I saw our 2 resident bald eagles fly over head when I was running today which reminded me I really really want to stop for an animal picture at Animal Kingdom (never have before)....
but can't remember are they usually set up before or after entering AK, I think it's before entering but it's been 2 yrs so my mind could be totally wrong. Thanks!

Always seen them as you come into the back of AK as you head in Africa.

Judging by comments on this thread, I assuming Disney does not post which characters are on the coarse and where? Are there any that have been consistently over the last few years for the half? Just trying to plan out the stops. And also, why doesn't Disney post where characters will be?
As others said it rotates so there is no guarantee. There may be stops with no characters there, or they may be switching.

Speaking of Characters...I saw our 2 resident bald eagles fly over head when I was running today which reminded me I really really want to stop for an animal picture at Animal Kingdom (never have before)....
but can't remember are they usually set up before or after entering AK, I think it's before entering but it's been 2 yrs so my mind could be totally wrong. Thanks!
Before

It's one of the best parts of the run-up to the marathon weekend. Everyone's excitement on this thread just adds to my own excitement. It's almost time!!!
Yeah I like the rapid pace of the thread.

As a 4:30 marathon finisher stuck in Corral H, how bad will it be congestion wise? Am I going to be able to run my race, or is it basically going to be maneuvering around people the entire time?

Well I think that is a different scenario than many of us on this board. Putting sub 4 hour marathoners in a group of 7 hour marathoners seems a bit more drastic and confusing.

Did you go from 4:30 to sub 4 overnight?

Because they don't know exactly which characters will be out there until very close to race day. Choosing the costumes takes time and is CM and weather dependent. Some are almost always out, as has been mentioned, but there's no guarantee on any of them. Plus, from an rD perspective, the whining from a character not being where he/she/it was published to be is almost certainly not worth the hassle.
PCFriar80 will be available for pictures around the 24.5 mile marker at the BC. I'm waiving all fees! :wave2:

I know its early but I am already watching the weather. Accuweather has the full weekend in their 25 day forecast now.

1/4 H - 75 L - 54
1/5 H - 74 L - 54
1/6 H - 74 L - 53
1/7 H - 73 L - 53

Yes these will change 100 times before marathon weekend. I am not including rain chances yet since its way too early for that.
Last year the marathon day changed from warm to chilly (I dont consider last year as "cold", I'm northern and had a laugh when I saw a windchill advisory for 30degrees...we don't get those until single or negative digits). The forecast is going to change while we there, Thursday will have Sunday one temp, then Friday will have Sunday 20 degrees different.

Marathon Weekend DIS List FORM
Race - Dopey
Name (optional) - Ed
DIS Name - SunDial
Costume - none
Corral - No idea yet.
Planning to attend the Pre-race Meetup? - Yes as long as the buses move efficiently.
Front, Middle, or Back of the corral - Varies
Expected Pace - around 13:30 for 5K, 10K and Half. Around 11:45 for the full.

Last year the marathon day changed from warm to chilly (I dont consider last year as "cold", I'm northern and had a laugh when I saw a windchill advisory for 30degrees...we don't get those until single or negative digits). The forecast is going to change while we there, Thursday will have Sunday one temp, then Friday will have Sunday 20 degrees different.

Very true. The temps forecasted at this point are simply average high/low for January.

Marathon Weekend DIS List FORM
Race - Marathon
Name (optional) - Chris
DIS Name - Whereinflorida
Costume - none
Corral - B
Planning to attend the Pre-race Meetup? - Yes
Front, Middle, or Back of the corral - Back
Expected Pace - 9:05

I received an email today from runDisney about the expo and waivers, at the bottom they had a logo display of "friends of runDisney" and New Balance was still listed. I'm assuming they haven't updated it yet, not that they are going to surprise us with NB shoes?

Don't want the running shoes - I just want the "Event Check-in" option to earn more Rewards points. Have to get that NYC Marathon or London Marathon bib somehow. :rotfl:

I thought you said you didn’t submit a prior race time, and that’s why you got the corral that you did? So yeah, your scenario is different from @VAfamily1998.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter