Marathon Weekend 2018

Congrats @DopeyBadger! Your continued success is such a product of your training and hard work! I am excited to see what you do with the Marathon tomorrow!

I was very excited about my 10K yesterday - 51:03. That was the second fastest 10K for me. Today was a bit tougher finishing the Half in 1:57. Maybe closing out MK last night was not such a good idea...

I totally missed the meet-up again as I pushed my time. Will actually get out on time tomorrow. I hope everyone had good races today and all you Marathoners good luck tomorrow!

I was glad to meet some of you this morning. I had a blast today, I think I only missed two of the character stops.

Too me, I think the larger corrals actually made the start longer with the mini-waves. Two years ago I saw the balloon ladies (during the half) right before they hit Magic Kingdom parking plaza, and today, while running a slower pace, did not see them at all on World Drive. By the time I climbed the overpass, they must have made their way onto World Drive

I thought the release times were about the same. We started in the back of D at 5:48, which is about what I would expect from past years. The waves helped a bit with congestion since we had clear-ish running once we turned onto World Drive.

Congrats to everyone who ran today!

Congratulations to everyone who had a great race today!

I don't mean to be a Debbie Downer, but I'm flying solo this trip and could really use a shoulder to cry on.

I've had issues with getting to WDWMW injured the two times I've run it in the past. So Billy and I set up a plan designed to get me healthy to the starting line this year. Everything went just about as well as it could have and I came into the weekend planning to take it easy in the first three races and then take a shot at a marathon PR.

The 5k went great. Then Friday morning I got up with a cough that had settled into my chest. The 10k was run at one of my easy training paces and felt like the effort of a tempo run! Uh oh! I haven't been sick in years! I can only imagine that it was the combination of the stress of travel, my wife's surgery right before Christmas that didn't go well, and the abnormal cold and crowds here I'm not normally exposed to.

I hit the cold with everything they had in the gift shop here and didn't leave the resort yesterday. I came up with an energy conservation plan for the half using intervals I've had good luck with in the past. They worked. Right about to the MK. Fatigue started to set in and I couldn't forestall it. My stomach, abs and ribs ached from the cold air and coughing. I couldn't get warm. I fought it til the end, walking a lot of the last 5 miles. Hands down, the worst race of my life.

I don't have anything left in the tank. I'm drained. I don't want to risk another cold morning start and turning this cold into pneumonia if I don't have a realistic shot at finishing. I was supposed to support a coworker running her first marathon with her nerves in the corral. I'm going to let her down.

Now, I'm sitting in the room just down. This weekend was the culmination of anticipation that started with last year's cancelled half. A training plan of 522 miles executed to perfection to get me here and ready. All for nothing.

I shouldn't say all for nothing, I guess. I've enjoyed the morning pre-race meet ups. I was really looking forward to Hurricane Hannah's yesterday. And at least I'm here. Not everyone who signed up made it. At any rate, thanks for reading my pity party. I really needed to get it out to folks who would understand. I hope everyone running has a great marathon tomorrow!

I’m beginning to wonder if I’ll make it to the expo by 3 when it closes...been sitting at Contemporary for over an hour waiting on the bus. I could take a cab/Uber but it’d be stuck in the same traffic. :confused3

On a positive note, congrats to everyone who ran today!!

I don't mean to be a Debbie Downer, but I'm flying solo this trip and could really use a shoulder to cry on.

I've had issues with getting to WDWMW injured the two times I've run it in the past. So Billy and I set up a plan designed to get me healthy to the starting line this year. Everything went just about as well as it could have and I came into the weekend planning to take it easy in the first three races and then take a shot at a marathon PR.

The 5k went great. Then Friday morning I got up with a cough that had settled into my chest. The 10k was run at one of my easy training paces and felt like the effort of a tempo run! Uh oh! I haven't been sick in years! I can only imagine that it was the combination of the stress of travel, my wife's surgery right before Christmas that didn't go well, and the abnormal cold and crowds here I'm not normally exposed to.

I hit the cold with everything they had in the gift shop here and didn't leave the resort yesterday. I came up with an energy conservation plan for the half using intervals I've had good luck with in the past. They worked. Right about to the MK. Fatigue started to set in and I couldn't forestall it. My stomach, abs and ribs ached from the cold air and coughing. I couldn't get warm. I fought it til the end, walking a lot of the last 5 miles. Hands down, the worst race of my life.

I don't have anything left in the tank. I'm drained. I don't want to risk another cold morning start and turning this cold into pneumonia if I don't have a realistic shot at finishing. I was supposed to support a coworker running her first marathon with her nerves in the corral. I'm going to let her down.

Now, I'm sitting in the room just down. This weekend was the culmination of anticipation that started with last year's cancelled half. A training plan of 522 miles executed to perfection to get me here and ready. All for nothing.

I shouldn't say all for nothing, I guess. I've enjoyed the morning pre-race meet ups. I was really looking forward to Hurricane Hannah's yesterday. And at least I'm here. Not everyone who signed up made it. At any rate, thanks for reading my pity party. I really needed to get it out to folks who would understand. I hope everyone running has a great marathon tomorrow!

Colds can just zap it out of you especially once it gets in your chest and affects you breathing. Pretty great job of just getting out there and finishing what was a tough race for you!! Gage how you feel but like you said don’t risk making it way worse.

I’m in the same place as far as my legs being done by MK, having the worst race of my life and feeling like I have nothing left in the tank for tomorrow. I don’t have the health issues, so I’m going to give it a go, but things could go all sorts of sideways tomorrow.

I know that this weekend seems snakebit for you, but there can be other Marathon Weekends if you are so inclined. Your health is the most important thing.

My heart breaks for you.

Sending virtual hugs your way! You know what’s best for your health, but I’m so so sorry you’re sick and not going to make it.

Im really very sorry! I understand what you’re going through as I had a similar situation last year! Rest! Feel better!

@camaker i am so sorry you are sick. I am going to join your pity party. My DH is running his first full Sunday and he got Norovirus on Wednesday night. He was down ALL day Thursday. For him it is an awful day one but it runs through him fast. I went to 10k on Friday, felt fine. He was glad he was not running. Today he feels much better ready to tackle Sunday. Guess what I got last night? Yep now I have it, not near as bad so I am still hoping I can run tomorrow. My goal fir Disney was to not get injured, this may slow me down to accomplish that.

Anyways wanted to join the pity party, though you are in worse shape than me.

I’m really sorry @camaker. It’s so frustrating when things happen that you simply can’t control. You’ve had an amazing year, so I hate that this weekend has been such a trial. :(

Congrats @DopeyBadger !!

We had a pretty good race. Probably too much park time the last few days but both of us were feeling the fatigue around Mile 8, so that’s worrisome for tomorrow, but today is nothing but rest and eating so I’m hoping that gets us rejuvenated for tomorrow.

Our original plan was to get some beer after the race and then cheer on finishers but we got cold and decided to bail. But this was a nice conclusion to the race.

EBA3A834-8250-4EDC-98D5-19B5FB789FA9.jpeg

Your coworker will certainly understand. Rest up today... maybe even hit up instacare if you can and get a diagnosis. Maybe they can give you something that will help clear it up sooner than later, not necessarily to try and get the race in but just to get you better. Maybe they can get you feeling good enough to cheer her at the finish!

Please don’t feel down and know that your hard work is so a part of everything you’ve done.

At least get to the start and cross it. Give it your all and see how far you can go. Take it one mile at a time and know you’ve already made great strides to getting here. Keep resting. :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter