Marathon Weekend 2018

I run with headphones because I can't stand the sound of my breathing and my feet hitting the pavement. If I can hear myself breathe I find it harder to get into a good rhythm. Or if I can hear other people who are heavily mouth breathing and I mean in the very, very obnoxious sense of mouth breathing. There is a local guy who every three or four deep breaths will make a loud grunting noise. I find it very distracting.

I'm someone that get's frustrated with noise too. Unfortunately I run with Aftershokz headphones, which are awesome when I'm outside and want to remain aware of my surroundings. They are less awesome when there are loud people next to me on the treadmill. There is a lady at our gym that smacks herself up and down her legs with cupped hands the whole time she walks on the treadmill. I am not sure what it's supposed to do to her legs, but it is kind of annoying. I wish I had closed headphones on the days that she gets on the treadmill next to me.

Last edited:
Happy Winter Solstice everyone!! Just finished my Chesire cat outfit for the HM last night so 3 done and 1 to go. Took a stab at sewing my own sparkle skirt. I'm pleased with how it came out and hopefully it will hold up the 13.1 miles. I'll be running with my DD who's not a costume gal, but likes funky knee socks. I got her a pair of Chesire cat ones to wear and now trying to convince her it's cool to twin with mom. Will see how it plays out on race day.

No this is new. It will be nice for sure.

Ummm I don't think this is new. Here's a picture of the MP of the HP field house for the 2017 marathon wekend

All the shirts for Goofy and Doper runners, Bibs, Prepurchased Merch And Official RunDisney Merch were all in the HP Field house.

5k/10k/Half and Full runners picked up their shirts in Jostens. There is a bigger Disney Merchandise Booth in Josten too.

upload_2017-12-21_13-43-13.png

Ummm I don't think this is new. Here's a picture of the MP of the HP field house for the 2017 marathon wekend

All the shirts for Goofy and Doper runners, Bibs, Prepurchased Merch And Official RunDisney Merch were all in the HP Field house.

5k/10k/Half and Full runners picked up their shirts in Jostens. There is a bigger Disney Merchandise Booth in Josten too.

View attachment 289620
This is the Visa Center this year (formerly Jostens)

Screen Shot 2017-12-21 at 12.52.27 PM.png

This is Champion Stadium

Screen Shot 2017-12-21 at 12.53.18 PM.png

This is HP

Screen Shot 2017-12-21 at 12.53.43 PM.png

This is the Visa Center this year (formerly Jostens)

View attachment 289622

This is Champion Stadium

View attachment 289623

This is HP

View attachment 289624

Crap that makes it worse. In the past years if you were doing Goofy or Dopey you could get everything in HP without needing to go across to visa. Since this was a smaller number of runners it was usually pretty quick to get in an out. This setup means everyone is going to do there runDisney merch shopping in HP.

View attachment 289620
Although they did have runDisney merch in the same building as the Dopey bib and shirt pickup the last two years, it wasn’t a very big area and didn’t have everything that the area in the other building had (sorry I get the names of the two buildings mixed up).

Race - Half Marathon
Name (optional) - Christian Anglim
DIS Name - Canglim52
Costume - intense runner
Corral - B
Planning to attend the Pre-race meet up? - Yup!
Front, Middle, or Back of the corral - front
Expected Pace - 1:40

Race - Marathon
Name (optional) - Christian Anglim
DIS Name - Canglim52
Costume - intense runner
Corral - B
Planning to attend the Pre-race meet up? - Yup!
Front, Middle, or Back of the corral - front
Expected Pace - 3:40

Last edited:
Crap that makes it worse. In the past years if you were doing Goofy or Dopey you could get everything in HP without needing to go across to visa. Since this was a smaller number of runners it was usually pretty quick to get in an out. This setup means everyone is going to do there runDisney merch shopping in HP.
While smaller they did this for Wine and Dine this year and it seemed to work. I prefer having all the runDisney merch in one place rather than having to go back and forth.

But since the bib pickup is on the upper level, maybe you can avoid the merch area if you want??? You would have to exit and come back in to get upstairs before... so two entrances??

Disclosure: My best marathon is 4:03. I used run/walk of 4:28/0:27 for the first 13 miles (and then ran it in).

I'll try and take a stab at it! I'm not a run/walker. I'm a researcher in Vitamin D who likes to read endurance running scientific articles. So I'm by no means an expert on physiology or the run/walk method. But I'll try to explain it.

Just my two cents and like I said I'm by no means an expert on the subject.

I disagree ("...I'm by no means an expert...") -- that's the best explanation I've read on the science of run/walk :)

That I’m not sure. I’d have to do more research. There isn’t a lot readily available online. I’d probably have to contact track shack if I wanted to do an in depth history article.

I want to know SIMPLE things... like did they have character photos on the initial running of the Disney Marathon. Its a very clever innovation!

Although they did have runDisney merch in the same building as the Dopey bib and shirt pickup the last two years, it wasn’t a very big area and didn’t have everything that the area in the other building had (sorry I get the names of the two buildings mixed up).
Yeah it was smaller and I think I wound up going both places anyway because I had friends running other races and had to go with them.

But since the bib pickup is on the upper level, maybe you can avoid the merch area if you want??? You would have to exit and come back in to get upstairs before... so two entrances??
I know for goofy several years ago packet pickup was upstairs in HP. I think at that point the other races were all downstairs. I'm just being a grumpy old man. I want to shop for Merch but I don't want a lot of other people to be there and I don't want to pay for early access. Unfortunately my wants and reality don't align.

I want to know SIMPLE things... like did they have character photos on the initial running of the Disney Marathon. Its a very clever innovation!
Another good question. I know I saw an article with Jon Hughes and he loves working with Disney entertainment on that kind of stuff.

Oh man, saw this and am now feeling rather overwhelmed and slightly anxious! I’ve been so spoiled by the easy peasy DLR rD expos! :sad: Definitely grateful these threads exist! They’ve been amazingly helpful and informative!
There are signs and helpful CMs everywhere - I can totally see how it's overwhelming now but it'll be fine! :)

Oh man, saw this and am now feeling rather overwhelmed and slightly anxious! I’ve been so spoiled by the easy peasy DLR rD expos! :sad: Definitely grateful these threads exist! They’ve been amazingly helpful and informative!

You and me both o_O

So I have race retreat with early expo to pick up Dopey bibs. Hubs opted to skip cheer squad and is only doing the "Daisy" challenge with the 5K and 10K. So it looks like we're going to be hitting everything at some point. I'll make sure he gets in line early for his bib pick up while I go on a shopping spree :rolleyes1

We can only hope. I know in years past, they've funneled everyone from upstairs to downstairs in a kind-of one-way traffic flow. I dread them doing the same again this year if all of the merchandise shoppers have to make the same journey. With a lot of luck, someone will have thought about this and found a way to keep the crowds for upstairs and downstairs separate.

Right I hate to be a bit of a thicko, but, where is the main merchandise bit? I’ve been to dopey 2016 and dark side 2017 so I kinda know where the buildings are but I’m so confused as to which building the main merchandise is in?!

Y’know just getting my priorities right :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter