Marathon Weekend 2020

FYI for those following the BG saga for RotR: they changed things today and did not open the BG until 7:00 AM, though they opened the park at about 6:40. No rides were open until 7:00 and everyone had to wait on Hollywoood Blvd until the CM dropped the "rope". To get a BG, everyone had to log in to the app when it went live after 7:00, rendering getting to the park at 5:00 or earlier a moot point since everyone had access to the app and BG after it opened at 7:00. This happened without any advance notice so there was lots of complaining from those who arrived super early and were not given any advantage over those that arrived at 6:50. All BG were distributed prior to 8:00, so you still need to get there by opening to ensure a BG. There is no indication if this will continue in this fashion, so YMMV, but we will see what happens tomorrow.
I’m sure it will change again. This one was a more interesting move that seems to have upset a good amount.

Thank you DB! This is what I figured, but it always helps to hear it from someone else. :) I know that worst case scenario, I can eek out at least 7-8 miles on a treadmill, but I'm pretty confident I can do at least double digits outside, so long as all this rain doesn't come with a side of lightning. I'm annoyed with being robbed of a really pleasant final long run... but maybe this will result in a perfect day for the actual marathon?! Hope springs eternal, lol!

I'll be right there with you as we're headed to Disney for the weekend. Steph sold it to me as heat acclimation training. So I'm scheduled for 3 hrs Sunday morning. Guess I'll prepare myself to get soaked too now.

I'm frequently stalking both the Waiver link and the Runner Tracking link... with no shame or guilt. No news to report yet.

Waiver:
https://www.trackshackresults.com/disneysports/waivers/WDWWavr20/verify.php
Runner Tracking:
https://track.rtrt.me/e/WDW-WDW-2020#/tracker

The Expo opens exactly 3 weeks from right now.

And, could today be the day we receive our bib numbers? The Runner Tracking link was active last year on Wednesday 12/19 -- which was 3 weeks before the Expo opened.

It's getting closer...

I'll be right there with you as we're headed to Disney for the weekend. Steph sold it to me as heat acclimation training. So I'm scheduled for 3 hrs Sunday morning. Guess I'll prepare myself to get soaked too now.
GAH! I'm sorry - here's hoping it's just a normal rain, nothing horizontal, no lightning, no street/sidewalk flooding and we can congratulate ourselves next week on being badass enough to get it done! And yep, at least it'll be a warm rain, so no hypothermia. Pro tip: WDW's restroom paper towels are REALLY good for drying soaked running shoes. Even better than newspaper. :thumbsup2

:offtopic: Sorry @rteetz - I know this isn't the place for it, but if it's okay, I'll give a quick answer to @mbrittb00 . My son needs the DAS because he is on the Autism spectrum and has a REALLY hard time being in lines and crowds full of people. FP works just as well for him, but for things that don't use FP, or for which we can't get a FP because we're local and don't get a 60-day advantage, DAS allows him to wait somewhere calmer, quieter, less crowded that doesn't make him want to jump out of his skin. The problem with ROTR right now is that you can't get a DAS until you get a BG. And you can't get a BG without waiting in a big crowd for the park to open. Since my son can't handle the crowd to get in, we can't even get into a BG to get a DAS later. Luckily, we are local and can just wait and see if things get better for us down the road, but if we were visiting now and this was to be our only trip, no way would my son be able to do ROTR. I don't have any ideas about how WDW could do better for folks like us, but the DAS system is kind of a failure for some people for this one ride.

So the problem isn't that the BG themselves are not DAS friendly, but the process necessary to get one. I have found it somewhat strange that one of the main rationals for the FP+ system, was so that people didn't have to get there at park opening to get attraction FPs, yet they have completely reversed course on this. Hopefully they can come up with some system where by you all wouldn't have to wait in the large crowd. Glad to hear you all are local and can wait the crazyness out. I have a son that has sensory issues (no where near that of someone with Autism, so please don't think I'm trying to compare), so I "somewhat" understand. I know our/his limitations, so I wouldn't even consider Galaxy's Edge with him for at least another 6 months.

FYI for those following the BG saga for RotR: they changed things today and did not open the BG until 7:00 AM, though they opened the park at about 6:40. No rides were open until 7:00 and everyone had to wait on Hollywoood Blvd until the CM dropped the "rope". To get a BG, everyone had to log in to the app when it went live after 7:00, rendering getting to the park at 5:00 or earlier a moot point since everyone had access to the app and BG after it opened at 7:00. This happened without any advance notice so there was lots of complaining from those who arrived super early and were not given any advantage over those that arrived at 6:50. All BG were distributed prior to 8:00, so you still need to get there by opening to ensure a BG. There is no indication if this will continue in this fashion, so YMMV, but we will see what happens tomorrow.

I’m sure it will change again. This one was a more interesting move that seems to have upset a good amount.

Someone on FB said Disney hosted travel agency owners early this morning, so it's possible this change was only to accommodate that and not a new policy. Tomorrow will tell!

So my question for you all is this: if I just can't take anymore on Sunday (my planned 22-mile day), what mileage do you think I should aim for if 22 isn't happening?

If you've already done two Dopey sims, you should be just fine with whatever you can get in, especially if you don't have any time goals. Heck, I'm super impressed you've already got in two 20 milers! I wouldn't stress about it - you're body will remember what to do on marathon day.

So the problem isn't that the BG themselves are not DAS friendly, but the process necessary to get one. I have found it somewhat strange that one of the main rationals for the FP+ system, was so that people didn't have to get there at park opening to get attraction FPs, yet they have completely reversed course on this. Hopefully they can come up with some system where by you all wouldn't have to wait in the large crowd. Glad to hear you all are local and can wait the crazyness out. I have a son that has sensory issues (no where near that of someone with Autism, so please don't think I'm trying to compare), so I "somewhat" understand. I know our/his limitations, so I wouldn't even consider Galaxy's Edge with him for at least another 6 months.
Yep, you've got it, exactly! My son is high-functioning and has been going to WDW since birth, but as he's aged and WDW's crowds have increased, the sensory overload has started to hit him hard. The BGs feels like the most "fair" system outside of a physical line, but just doesn't address the difficulties folks who use DAS experience. Hopefully things calm down in a couple months and we all get the chance to experience ROTR!

Exactly. And unlike PV I’m not local and neither is the friend who I took with me all the way to FL. We nearly had the GE portion of the trip screwed because I was getting serious sensory overload from being tired and the changes with the storm coming in later. And my friend not being able to handle crowds.

Yep, you've got it, exactly! My son is high-functioning and has been going to WDW since birth, but as he's aged and WDW's crowds have increased, the sensory overload has started to hit him hard. The BGs feels like the most "fair" system outside of a physical line, but just doesn't address the difficulties folks who use DAS experience. Hopefully things calm down in a couple months and we all get the chance to experience ROTR!

Just wanted to say thanks for addressing it better. I was pretty tired yesterday. And had sensory overload from the storm that came through wrecking my sensitivity to pressure change.

Back home. Bag got delayed but it’s on it’s way at least.

So can I ride Smuggler's Run without a boarding group number? We are only going to DHS on the 5K day so I'm still not sure I will be there in time for park opening. I want to shower and we are only relying on Disney transportation.

Disney confirmed last night that yesterday's operating procedure is how it is going to be done moving forward.

Unless if course, they change it again.
I feel like it's probably going to change again before we get there but who knows! Christmas/NY's weeks are typically the largest crowds of the year, and they have to be considering the safety issue of having so many people stacked up outside the park so early in the morning. Hoping it gets sorted out (and that the reliability of the ride becomes more consistent) by the time we arrive!

It looks like I'm in the same boat as a lot of you as far as subpar weather this weekend.

I did my Dopey simulation last week (3.1, 6.2, 13.1, 23) with the intention to run a half this weekend at marathon pace. It's looking like the half may potentially be cancelled, so I'm wondering if I should just run another 20 on Saturday before the weather rolls in.

This will be my 5th Dopey, so I'm used to the high level of training. I'm just worried my taper may be too long. In years past I have always finished my Dopey simulation this week and it felt like the right amount of taper. I know some people only taper 2 weeks, but I tried that in a marathon back in May and it was not enough for me. Or maybe taper madness is setting in and I'm just overthinking it.

GAH!!! Now my Sunday forecast includes thunderstorms. It keeps pushing whatever front this is out in time, so maybe by Sat it'll be clear for the weekend. If not, I guess I'll move my 22-miler to Sat and see what I can suffer through on a treadmill Sunday.

I'm just worried my taper may be too long. In years past I have always finished my Dopey simulation this week and it felt like the right amount of taper. I know some people only taper 2 weeks, but I tried that in a marathon back in May and it was not enough for me. Or maybe taper madness is setting in and I'm just overthinking it.
I'm completely with you on this. 2 weeks is too short for me, 3 weeks just right. Would 4 or 5 be too much? IDK, but I may soon find out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter