Marathon Weekend 2022

Doing my first Dopey for Marathon Weekend 2022. Trying to figure out the best strategy for the different runs. Do you try to go for good times in the 5k and 10k and cruise the half marathon and just run to survive the marathon? Go for good time on the 5k, take it easy on the 10k, go for time in the half marathon, and then try to cruise the marathon? Or do you just to pace yourself through the first three days to save your legs for the marathon?
I like to take my time and enjoy the 5K and 10K: I'll run-walk between photo stops, but I make a LOT of photo stops - so I'm out there longer than on my training runs, but putting in less effort. I tackle the half and full about the same: extra walk breaks if I feel the need, push the pace in the second half if I feel up to it, make sure I enjoy the experience and don't regret not stopping for some pics.

You guys are ignoring the 400 lb Disney gorilla in the room.
If you aren't in the first couple of corrals to start, good luck running a PR or respectable time in the 5 & 10K.
Is this my cue? Ran a 20-minute PR in the WDW full, as part of Dopey, from a back corral. Didn't "stumble into it": I trained well and ran smart by sticking to the tangents as much as possible and not wasting energy dodging and weaving in congested areas. It very much IS possible!

You guys are ignoring the 400 lb Disney gorilla in the room.
If you aren't in the first couple of corrals to start, good luck running a PR or respectable time in the 5 & 10K.
It gets so packed you would be running a 7 & 13K trying to navigate through the running masses.
(One caveat is what this years attendance will be of course*)

All of that said, many people do stumble into a PR during marathon weekend.
The weather, the course, your biorhythms, whatever...it does happen.
I've run marathons here where I was barely sore the next day...Disney Pixie-dust perhaps?
I like to take my time and enjoy the 5K and 10K: I'll run-walk between photo stops, but I make a LOT of photo stops - so I'm out there longer than on my training runs, but putting in less effort. I tackle the half and full about the same: extra walk breaks if I feel the need, push the pace in the second half if I feel up to it, make sure I enjoy the experience and don't regret not stopping for some pics.

Is this my cue? Ran a 20-minute PR in the WDW full, as part of Dopey, from a back corral. Didn't "stumble into it": I trained well and ran smart by sticking to the tangents as much as possible and not wasting energy dodging and weaving in congested areas. It very much IS possible!

Same. I've ran a several Disney DLS and had a good race. A couple of PRs even. You can have a great race no matter where you start from. :)

Doing my first Dopey for Marathon Weekend 2022. Trying to figure out the best strategy for the different runs. Do you try to go for good times in the 5k and 10k and cruise the half marathon and just run to survive the marathon? Go for good time on the 5k, take it easy on the 10k, go for time in the half marathon, and then try to cruise the marathon? Or do you just to pace yourself through the first three days to save your legs for the marathon?

I tend to take it easy during the 5k and 10k, race the half, and goof off completely during the full. One year I had to race the full to get a qualifying time for Comrades which was not nearly as fun as starting with shots, having multiple beer & shot stops along the way, and adding in a few rides for good measure.

My strategy: Drink beer. Raise hell.

Everything else will work itself out along the way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter