Marathon Weekend 2025

SAFD:

I avoided voting for anything I haven't ridden so far but since I haven't been on either Rise or Guardians I guess I'll have to break that and go Guardians. I'm basing it on first, what I think I'll like better and second which has less down time. The imagineers should be ashamed of Rise being down so often.

Manson for the other slot.

All of these votes for GOTG have me thinking I need to try it again - rode it once and maybe it was something I ate but I was more queasy than anything and that really coloured my opinion of the ride. Currently it's the only ride other than Tea Cups that I simply will not ride.
There's a thread on one of the other boards about strategies for people who get sick on Guardians, might be worth checking out. For me it's neck and neck between Guardians and Rise but the repeatability of Guardians is huge, I feel like I could go on it several times in a day and have a blast, whereas with Rise it's become a one-and-done for me. And the mechanical issues aren't ideal. It still blew my mind when I first rode though.

For whatever reason my biggest issue is the 3d rides. Not terrible, but occasionally I'll feel like I have to close my eyes to recalibrate. Needless to say I'm not upset about the increased chatter about parks (looking at you Universal) doing less with this stuff because the maintenance cost for the glasses is getting annoying.

I am trying to decide what ride I will recommend or not to DH…
Rides we know he cannot do as he tried before: FoP, Everest, Teacups, Dumbo and any spinning, Star Tour, Millennium Falcon and pretty all simulators (UO is not great for him). He also has avoided Space Mountain and RRRC because he would not see where he is going.

Rides he hasn’t done but should be ok: Tron and Slinky

Rides he hasn’t done but I am not sure: RotR, MMRR, Remi, GotG… I guess that this is the order we should try them… and maybe stop at RotR from what I read here.
I would say that MMRR should be okay. The only part that can start to get me is the waterfall part (if you haven’t ridden it, it’s where each car goes into its own little pocket). Closing eyes in this area should prevent anything.
I don’t have any problems with RotR
Screened based rides are the ones that bother me the most. FoP I can generally ride, but it does start to make me a little queasy by the end. Star Tours is sometime okay and sometimes not - I skip more often than I ride it.
A lot of Universal screen based rides also get me. I did okay last time when I was proactive and took Bonine before I went (except Forbidden Journey - that is the worst).

I would say that MMRR should be okay. The only part that can start to get me is the waterfall part (if you haven’t ridden it, it’s where each car goes into its own little pocket). Closing eyes in this area should prevent anything.
Agree! My mom can't do most rides due to vertigo, motion sickness, balance issues in general. She is okay on Midway Mania oddly enough (car spinning once is fine, just can't spin around and around) and MMRR is totally fine, she does look down during the waterfall scene like you mentioned. She skips Rise because of the drop and the ship simulation part before the actual ride but those probably only bother the super sensitive people. I wouldn't touch Remy or Guardians with a 10 foot pole if I had any susceptibility to motion sickness, I think those are some of the worst offenders (from that I hear).

I am trying to decide what ride I will recommend or not to DH…
Rides we know he cannot do as he tried before: FoP, Everest, Teacups, Dumbo and any spinning, Star Tour, Millennium Falcon and pretty all simulators (UO is not great for him). He also has avoided Space Mountain and RRRC because he would not see where he is going.

Rides he hasn’t done but should be ok: Tron and Slinky

Rides he hasn’t done but I am not sure: RotR, MMRR, Remi, GotG… I guess that this is the order we should try them… and maybe stop at RotR from what I read here.
My DH doesn’t get motion sickness but he does have issues with dizziness and vertigo. He usually avoids anything that spins like teacups.

I just recently told him he probably shouldn’t ride GOTG. The last time we were at BG Williamsburg, he rode Verbtolten and the indoor dark part made him dizzy. He didn’t ride DarkKastle after that so he wouldn’t have a vertigo attack. He did ride DarkKastle on a prior visit and had no issue though.

All of these votes for GOTG have me thinking I need to try it again - rode it once and maybe it was something I ate but I was more queasy than anything and that really coloured my opinion of the ride. Currently it's the only ride other than Tea Cups that I simply will not ride.
I tried again and took extra motion sickness medication. I didn’t feel sick immediately but by the middle of the ride I was ready to puke again. It’s the only time on a ride I haven’t just gotten dizzy/nauseous, but my entire body starts shaking and I sweat all over. At least after the second ride I could walk, but it definitely confirmed Cosmic Rewind is not for me. :(

SAFD:
Rise - I'm a huge SW fan and this is the most immersive ride I've ever done. Guardians is incredible, but I have to take my motion sickness meds and keep my eyes closed for most of the ride so I don't get sick (DON'T look at the spinning moon!)

Safari - this was really tough. HM is my favorite MK attraction and an example of imagineering creativity at its finest, but I love how the safari is always a little bit different. This past trip, we got to see the new baby elephant and it was the highlight of my trip! Also - before DH and I had kids, we took a trip to Africa and went on lots of safari treks so it brings back all of those memories as well.

I am prone to motion sickness on spinning rides and motion simulators, and while dramamine or bonine worked well, they made me feel off. I started taking ginger capsules after seeing a great Mythbusters episode -- look it up. Poor Grant. I SWEAR by them now! I pop a few with breakfast on a park day when I know we may be riding something triggering, and carry them with me to redose every 3-4 hours. YMMV but it is a game changer for me!

I love how the safari is always a little bit different. This past trip, we got to see the new baby elephant and it was the highlight of my trip! Also - before DH and I had kids, we took a trip to Africa and went on lots of safari treks so it brings back all of those memories as well.
So fun that you got to see baby Corra!!

Funny you say that every ride is different. Shouldn't those ostrich eggs be hatching soon??

I am prone to motion sickness on spinning rides and motion simulators, and while dramamine or bonine worked well, they made me feel off. I started taking ginger capsules after seeing a great Mythbusters episode -- look it up. Poor Grant. I SWEAR by them now! I pop a few with breakfast on a park day when I know we may be riding something triggering, and carry them with me to redose every 3-4 hours. YMMV but it is a game changer for me!
I used to take ginger pills as well, but for some reason they stopped working as well when I got pregnant. Oddly, Bonine used to make me drowsy, but now it doesn't!

On the sick-or-not rides topic, I’ll offer my weirdo data points…

There is only one very specific type of motion that makes me feel nauseous, and I’ve only ever felt in in two places:
1. The backseat of my late grandfather's enormous 1970s Lincoln
2. Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey at Universal

Literally have never had any other kind of motion sickness in my life. Cast-iron stomach. My favorite sensation in the world is being on a boat in foul weather.

I cannot do excessive spinning - I had a few concussions in my youth and ever since, I can’t do things like the Tea Cups or a Tilt-a-Whirl without winding up with a migraine. BUT coasters with milder spinning elements like GOTG and Escape from Gringott’s are perfectly fine.

Last edited:

There is only one very specific type of motion that makes me feel nauseous, and I’ve only ever felt in in two places:

Literally have never had any other kind of motion sickness in my life. Cast-iron stomach. My favorite sensation in the world is being on a boat in foul weather.

I cannot do excessive spinning - I had a few concussions in my youth and ever since, I can’t do things like the Tea Cups of a Tilt-a-Whirl without winding up with a migraine. BUT coasters with milder spinning elements like GOTG and Escape from Gringott’s are perfectly fine.
Another iron stomach here, which is why I didn't think twice when I did FoP when they went through all the motion sickness warnings. But it got me 🤢

On a related note, my family did an Alaskan cruise a few years ago, and the first night was through very choppy waters. Best sleep of the cruise!

Another iron stomach here, which is why I didn't think twice when I did FoP when they went through all the motion sickness warnings. But it got me 🤢

On a related note, my family did an Alaskan cruise a few years ago, and the first night was through very choppy waters. Best sleep of the cruise!
You're both preaching to the choir with Forbidden Journey. For me, I can go on the Incredible Hulk or Hollywood Rip Ride Rocket or even Velocicoaster without any problems at all. However, it's the tilting backward on FJ that gets me almost every single time that I ride it.

I cannot do excessive spinning - I had a few concussions in my youth and ever since, I can’t do things like the Tea Cups or a Tilt-a-Whirl without winding up with a migraine. BUT coasters with milder spinning elements like GOTG and Escape from Gringott’s are perfectly fine.
I can’t ride Forbidden Journey either! I have never experienced motion sickness until that ride. I can ride GOTG, Hulk, teacups, FOP…..but Forbidden Journey and Ratatouille???? Nope 🤢

Do you have a brand you recommend?
I just grab whatever is on sale at Whole Foods, usually. You can also drink ginger ale or snack on ginger cookies, but be sure they have REAL ginger, not just ginger flavoring. (Pro tip: Also good for dog road trips!)

This is actually the WORST motion sickness I've ever had on a ride. Even with my eyes closed, I was praying for it to just end. UGH!

I can do Forbidden Journey only if I take bonine AND I have to stare at one point during the screen parts. Usually at Harry's butt.

I can't do the back row of Star Tours, but any other row is okay.

Going backwards and spinning also make me sick, so I also can't do Everest and any sort of Dumbo-style or teacup-style ride. I was most worried about the backwards launch on Cosmic Rewind, but it was so fast it didn't bother me.

Banking on roller coasters also bothers me a lot. I much prefer going upside down or bunny hops to the long banks that seem to last forever (looking at you, Slinky Dog and Rockin Rollercoaster).

Banking on roller coasters also bothers me a lot. I much prefer going upside down or bunny hops to the long banks that seem to last forever (looking at you, Slinky Dog and Rockin Rollercoaster
And I love banking and can't do hills, especially the bunny hops.

I've only done Guardians once and am excited to do it again because I was so focused on making sure I didn't feel sick, that I didn't really get to enjoy everything.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter