Marathon Weekend 2025

That one has been on my list a few years now. I almost registered this year but chose the Clarence DeMar Marathon at the end of September instead hoping for a decent recovery before Wine and Dine weekend.
Mine too! I haven’t done it since it’s historically been just past the POT cut off date. Decided this was the year I was finally doing it!

SAFD: I’m not doing any running or anything else right now. My back gave out on me last week, and I am on forced rest. It’s so frustrating! I’m signed up for Peachtree, but I’m not at all sure what’s going to happen there. I’m not signed up for anything else until the 10k on MW.

DH has been running a trail series this spring, and has several races set up in the next few weeks. He’s been very consistent with his runs, and is doing great. He’ll be doing both the 10k and the full during MW.

SAFD:

After SS I took a little time off but am now in week three of a training plan for a half in late July. After that I will be running a local half in September and then a full in October that Is part of my training for Detroit which will be my A race this year and then on to Dopey. I will be running through the summer and if today is any indicator it is going to be a hot one so lots of hydrating and lots of early morning or late evening runs!

SAFD:

After SS I took a little time off but am now in week three of a training plan for a half in late July. After that I will be running a local half in September and then a full in October that Is part of my training for Detroit which will be my A race this year and then on to Dopey. I will be running through the summer and if today is any indicator it is going to be a hot one so lots of hydrating and lots of early morning or late evening runs!

Have you done Detroit before? It's my marathon PR--flat and fast (with the exception of the bridge and tunnel)

Speaking of hydration, has anyone tried the GU liquid energy? I can’t do gels because of the consistency, but I handles the liquid energy pretty well. The only issue was I felt like I needed a straw. I was probably overthinking things but I had difficulty figuring out how to drink out of the pouch.
I have a variety of fuels and mix them up during longer races. FWIW, I consider all of these as fuel, not hydration. For hydration, I'll consume the water or electrolytes being handed out at the hydration stations.

My feedback:
Gu gels: I like them; some tasty flavors and they don't seem to bother my stomach.
Glukose: Liquid and I haven't had any issues drinking them on the run. Tear the top off, put the opening to my lips like a straw, and drink until the pouch is empty. It's like a shot of fruit punch in a foil pouch. Looking at the Gu website, their liquid energy pouches look just like the Glukose pouches.
Maurtens: Unlike the two items above, the Maurtens does not require additional water in order to be metabolized. No real flavor to them and not the greatest texture, but gotta love the no-water-needed aspect.
Clif-bloks: I like them but consuming enough to make a difference is like trying to ingest the gummi bear from heck, plus water is needed. I'll take them when offered on the course, but I'll likely just tuck one or two of the sub-cubes (where they have the little separation lines) in my cheek and let it dissolve over the next mile or two. Ditto for a pack of the energy beans: I let them dissolve over the course of miles.

Based on advice from others on the forum, I've taken all of my fuel types out on longer training runs to make sure no surprises when I try to consume them during a race.
YMMV

I have a variety of fuels and mix them up during longer races. FWIW, I consider all of these as fuel, not hydration. For hydration, I'll consume the water or electrolytes being handed out at the hydration stations.

My feedback:
Gu gels: I like them; some tasty flavors and they don't seem to bother my stomach.
Glukose: Liquid and I haven't had any issues drinking them on the run. Tear the top off, put the opening to my lips like a straw, and drink until the pouch is empty. It's like a shot of fruit punch in a foil pouch. Looking at the Gu website, their liquid energy pouches look just like the Glukose pouches.
Maurtens: Unlike the two items above, the Maurtens does not require additional water in order to be metabolized. No real flavor to them and not the greatest texture, but gotta love the no-water-needed aspect.
Clif-bloks: I like them but consuming enough to make a difference is like trying to ingest the gummi bear from heck, plus water is needed. I'll take them when offered on the course, but I'll likely just tuck one or two of the sub-cubes (where they have the little separation lines) in my cheek and let it dissolve over the next mile or two. Ditto for a pack of the energy beans: I let them dissolve over the course of miles.

Based on advice from others on the forum, I've taken all of my fuel types out on longer training runs to make sure no surprises when I try to consume them during a race.
YMMV
OMG Clif blocks are so big! I'm looking for something I can consume fast, which is why the GU liquid energy is appealing. I'd like to make it work. Other fuel I use are salt chews and M&Ms. I can get M&Ms quickly, even the peanut ones.

OMG Clif blocks are so big! I'm looking for something I can consume fast, which is why the GU liquid energy is appealing. I'd like to make it work. Other fuel I use are salt chews and M&Ms. I can get M&Ms quickly, even the peanut ones.
Can you handle something the texture of applesauce? Someone else mentioned Huma which I enjoy, but my all time favorite is Spring Energy awesomesauce. Taste/texture like cinnamon applesauce with some dates blended in, and the real advantage to me is they're higher calorie (180) but don't seem to be any higher volume. Downside is soooo expensive so I really just use for races and maybe bring 1 on longer runs as a "treat" lol. Lots of fuel makes me nauseous after 15+ miles but I am good with more natural stuff like applesauce pouches. But I can't carry that many applesauce pouches (and I prefer not to wear a vest anymore) so the awesome sauce was the perfect find for me. I can't do Maurten personally, even though there is no flavor it is way too sweet for me, like white sugar sweet.

Can you handle something the texture of applesauce? Someone else mentioned Huma which I enjoy, but my all time favorite is Spring Energy awesomesauce. Taste/texture like cinnamon applesauce with some dates blended in, and the real advantage to me is they're higher calorie (180) but don't seem to be any higher volume. Downside is soooo expensive so I really just use for races and maybe bring 1 on longer runs as a "treat" lol. Lots of fuel makes me nauseous after 15+ miles but I am good with more natural stuff like applesauce pouches. But I can't carry that many applesauce pouches (and I prefer not to wear a vest anymore) so the awesome sauce was the perfect find for me. I can't do Maurten personally, even though there is no flavor it is way too sweet for me, like white sugar sweet.
I’ve never heard of Spring Energy Awesomesauce, thanks for mentioning it. I’ve used applesauce in the past but like you mentioned, it’s hard to carry enough calories with them. I’m going to try it. Do you buy it locally of online? If I recall you are in the TC metro, I’m in WI but cross the river often!

I can do something like applesauce. I've used honey packets with salt chews the last couple 10Ks I've done. there's just something about energy gels I can't do.

I’ve never heard of Spring Energy Awesomesauce, thanks for mentioning it. I’ve used applesauce in the past but like you mentioned, it’s hard to carry enough calories with them. I’m going to try it. Do you buy it locally of online? If I recall you are in the TC metro, I’m in WI but cross the river often!
I buy them from The Feed online! They're about $4 each but there are often promos. May be worth waiting for a free shipping promo unless you have other things you want to try for the shipping minimum. I like ordering from there since you can buy singles of everything, so I've tried LOTS of different fuels/electrolytes over the years lol. I haven't seen them in stores but I imagine specialty running shops may have them. I looked for them at the last marathon expo but didn't see them, doesn't mean they weren't there of course!

One other thing about the feed, if you add things to your cart while logged in, they often send promos. I always get the Nuun endurance electrolyte packets for races to dump into my handheld. Well instead of just buying the 12 pack, I'll add like 7 individual packs to my cart, and then usually they send me a "special" promo for like 30% off the 12-pack. Some sort of algorithm I suppose!

I can do something like applesauce. I've used honey packets with salt chews the last couple 10Ks I've done. there's just something about energy gels I can't do.
Yeah I can't do the energy gels either, anything artificial tasting just doesn't work for me. I usually use honey stinger chews for training since they are basically a fruit snack. But during races it's a bit harder as they become choking hazards :hyper: Or my whole body is so tired even chewing them is too much effort :rotfl2:

Have you done Detroit before? It's my marathon PR--flat and fast (with the exception of the bridge and tunnel)
Once before, back in 2015, it is my marathon PR. A good race, although the tunnel beat up my legs! I ever hurting a lot towards the end. I was told to watch pace in the tunnel. Did I listen? Nope!

If you think the Clif bloks are too big, give Skratch a try. They’re smaller and chewier.

If you think the Clif bloks are too big, give Skratch a try. They’re smaller and chewier.
Oh yes, I like Skratch. I also like Gu chews since they're smaller too. I'm looking into buying small zip bags since neither packets reseal. I can divvy the chews up for easy consuming

Yeah I can't do the energy gels either, anything artificial tasting just doesn't work for me. I usually use honey stinger chews for training since they are basically a fruit snack. But during races it's a bit harder as they become choking hazards :hyper: Or my whole body is so tired even chewing them is too much effort :rotfl2:
You might want to look into UnTapped. Their "gels" are just shots of real maple syrup in individual long packets, and so so good. Those come in different flavors and a caffeinated option. They also make a hydration drink mix and waffles. I discovered them last year when I moved to Vermont as they are based in a town about 5 minutes from where I live and all the local outdoor/running/grocery stores carry them.

You might want to look into UnTapped. Their "gels" are just shots of real maple syrup in individual long packets, and so so good. Those come in different flavors and a caffeinated option. They also make a hydration drink mix and waffles. I discovered them last year when I moved to Vermont as they are based in a town about 5 minutes from where I live and all the local outdoor/running/grocery stores carry them.
I've seen those and have been intrigued! Do you get the regular or the flavored versions?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter