March 20 show Topic: Disney Overcharging?

Greenfield1984

DIS Veteran
Loved the discussion on the latest show regarding the ever increasing Disney prices. There was a variety of opinions that were offered up, discussed, challenged and thought over. Was great. Many different angles were discussed.

Thought i'd share my thoughts on the topic.

I agree that the price to go to Disney in the last 5 to 10 years has gone up dramatically. As a result I have been priced out of staying on site and have found many different ways to cut costs.

So while I completely understand Rhyno's Pete style rant about Disney no longer being affordable for the common folk I do think it is still doable.

For example.

-I now drive down instead of fly. (drive straight through the night and day from ottawa for a total drive time of 27 hours!)
-I now stay offsite at a house/condo that offers up tons of additional space,room,amenities such as our own private pool and most importantly a fully equipped kitchen that leads to:
-I cook, prepare and bring in much of my food into the parks and use the Disney restaurants far less then I used to.

I'm going to the World for 10 days with 7 park tickets and 2 water park tickets in early September.
For a family of 5 it will cost us apx $4000 canadian. That will include our gas, lodging, park tickets and much of the food costs.

This is a trip that we were for a time doing every year that now we are spreading to maybe every 2nd or 3rd year.

Keep in mind if 4k sounds like alot (it is), that is over 10 days. You could also reduce your trip to the standard 5 or 6 night Disney trip.

So I would argue that while I do agree that the prices have gone up way higher then inflation over the last decade, with some tweaks and tricks you can still manage to have an affordable trip.

Furthermore I also agree with I believe it was Steve that said that you are still getting a ton of value from disney.

I couldn't agree more.

My closest theme park is La Ronde in Montreal. It costs nearly the same price to go to La Ronde as it is to go to a Disney park.

But La Ronde doesn't have fireworks, tripple A attractions, characters, theming and won't even allow guests to bring in their own food so you have to also pay high prices for very poor quality food. Essentially the experience is awfully sub par to Disney. You don't get those goose bumps or tearing eyed moments of awe, wonder and pure joy that you get from a DIsney park.

Same comparisons can be made when going to the movies, the theater, a concert etc.

I still believe that you are getting incredible value for a Disney World trip.

Now this all being said. I have also noticed that the experience has gone down in recent years. The crowds are overwhelming, the insane ammount of planning with FP+ is daunting, the cast members service is no longer consistently amazing, and the parks upkeep is now questionable both for ride closures and cleanliness in the park.

While I do believe the value is still there it doesn't mean we shouldn't still be demanding the Disney difference that we all fell in love with and have come to expect.

One other thing i'm kind of curious about.

I was very briefly and amateurishly looking into the Disney financials. I was surprised that their TV division makes such a high percentage of the Disney company profits. But I also became very concerned when I started to look at the different margins of the Disney branches.

The theme parks are in fact making a good chunk of profit for the company at the moment but the margins (difference between the money coming in - the cost for running operations) are actually considerably lower then the other Disney divisions.

This concerns me greatly because right now the economy is doing about as good as it can be. What happens when the economy tanks as it very cyclically does. What happens when this record level attendance drops drastically?

That will be a huge hit to the company. Especially when the company is committing so much money currently to expanding its parks across the world.

If i'm concerned about this there is no doubt that Disney is also concerned and its no surprise that they will be looking at each and every avenue to increase the bottom line. I'm just concerned that they may have already reached that tipping point for what the consumer is willing to spend.

Disney is a good value because they are putting a ton of money into the parks. Like Steve (or was it Shawn?) said. Those fireworks arn't cheap.
It's going to be mighty costly to maintain this value if the market tanks.

So I wonder if Disney is being proactive now during the good times to shelter themselves during the bad.

I'm no economist so i'm curious if there are some other Disers here who may have better insight regarding their margins with their theme park divison as it pertains to the cyclical nature of the market.

Anyhow.
Once again great discussion from everyone on the panel. Was really great to hear all different views on the topic.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts - and I agree that you can still do Disney on a budget

I think it was Sean who brought up how much you still get for your money and compared it to Universal - especially if you buy the express pass there. Just looking an a one day park-to-park ticket to Universal is $170 then yous till need to add Express Pass which varies by day but for 2 parks it starts at $99 - so you are at $270 for one day, both parks, with express - and their parks hours are less than Disney's

One's personal experience also will vary a lot - I have not encountered anything negative with CMs at Disney so I cannot relate to that detracting form an experience at Disney

Thanks for sharing your thoughts - and I agree that you can still do Disney on a budget

I think it was Sean who brought up how much you still get for your money and compared it to Universal - especially if you buy the express pass there. Just looking an a one day park-to-park ticket to Universal is $170 then yous till need to add Express Pass which varies by day but for 2 parks it starts at $99 - so you are at $270 for one day, both parks, with express - and their parks hours are less than Disney's

One's personal experience also will vary a lot - I have not encountered anything negative with CMs at Disney so I cannot relate to that detracting form an experience at Disney
I have yet to have a bad CM on my trip.

I have yet to have a bad CM on my trip.

by no means am I saying they don't happen - but I sometimes feel like the way the DIS team talks about it, they overblow it.

Sometimes the best experiences are with the college program people - and, I feel, the best are often with those on the international program in EPCOT WS

But super glad you have had positive experiences on your trip

by no means am I saying they don't happen - but I sometimes feel like the way the DIS team talks about it, they overblow it.

Sometimes the best experiences are with the college program people - and, I feel, the best are often with those on the international program in EPCOT WS

But super glad you have had positive experiences on your trip
Agreed. I definitely think it’s overblown at times. Is every CM perfect? By no means when there are thousands of them.

Agreed. I definitely think it’s overblown at times. Is every CM perfect? By no means when there are thousands of them.

and I would say the good far, far outweigh the bad and overall add to my experience vs detract

but they are also people and people have bad days, etc. - and having to deal with some guests (who I think bad behavior can be way worse than any cast member) I am sure doesn't often help

now seriously, stop posting and enjoy your vacation!!!

and I would say the good far, far outweigh the bad and overall add to my experience vs detract

but they are also people and people have bad days, etc. - and having to deal with some guests (who I think bad behavior can be way worse than any cast member) I am sure doesn't often help

now seriously, stop posting and enjoy your vacation!!!
Haha thanks. Shouldn’t you be getting ready for Italy?

Haha thanks. Shouldn’t you be getting ready for Italy?

we don't leave until tomorrow night - but we are all packed and everything and jealous of those that are already over there and posting pictures

super excited though!

I think a lot of the "rants" about Disney is due to high expectation. We went to Universal last year , we had fun, but we don't want to go back. Disney is still special to my family. We will work hard to save our $$$$ for a great Disney trip. BTW, we are from NJ. So to us, everyone we meet south of Washing DC would be friendly and courteous.

I think a lot of the "rants" about Disney is due to high expectation. We went to Universal last year , we had fun, but we don't want to go back. Disney is still special to my family. We will work hard to save our $$$$ for a great Disney trip. BTW, we are from NJ. So to us, everyone we meet south of Washing DC would be friendly and courteous.

haha, we are from NY and feel the same way - but it's almost unsettling at times, like, what's their angle? Why are they so nice? What are they trying to scam us with?

I don't think they are overcharging -- as (even at a perceived lack of service) ...Disney World is a better experience than your local Six Flags park run by ho-hum teenagers looking bored during their summer break.

It is supply and demand --- the parks are more crowded, so they can raise prices .. if prices didn't go up in the past 5 years, imagine just how crowded it would be?

I think the resorts are a bit too expensive for what you get. But the fact remains .. people still come, so Disney has a blank check on what they can charge .. UNTIL people STOP coming.

Disney will probably see their "regular" guests cut costs --- cutting their stay short by a day, skipping meals, staying offsite .. but that is maybe what Disney wants .. as that makes room for other guests who want to spend the money (because maybe it is their "once in a lifetime" trip).

I am not sure overcharging is really the right word. Speaking purely in economic terms they are not priced above demand so they are not overcharging. What I do think is happening, and it was talked about in the show, is pricing out an entire class of consumers but there are ways for even those below middle class to go if they make sacrifices to do so. We were not well off at all growing up and made the trip down thanks to my parents making a lot of sacrifices to save for years. We made a lot of sacrifices on the trip as well like sleeping 5 in a standard Days Inn room, not eating in the parks much (2 meals in 5 days), and not getting more than one souvenir but it is possible to go on a tight budget.

It will be interesting to see what happens during the next recession. Recessions are inevitable, and even needed, in the business cycle but it seems Disney is making decisions that assumes one will never happen.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter