"mature" adults (73, 63, & 56) - which resort is adult-friendly?

GSLand

Mouseketeer
We are planning a non-holiday winter trip. Which resort is friendly for "mature" adults? I don't mean we need special access (no wheelchairs, etc) - but we would like a nice, quiet room with a good location relative to the parks.
We are thinking of AKL or WL?

Our family travels to WDW our ages range from 36-85. We have enjoyed our stays at the Beach Club, we walk out the back door and we just take a short boat ride to Epcot or MGM. We usually will boat to Epcot and walk to the front gate and take the monorail to go to Magic Kingdom. We either take the bus or the rental car to Animal Kingdom. We enjoy having the flexibility of really 3 theme parks from there and the setting is beautiful, there is a great pool area, and we have loved the "quiet" pools there also. At night you have the boardwalk right accross the water a nice walk or boat right to have dinner, dessert or even go shopping.

Have a great time on your trip!!!

As far as quiet, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the "Deluxe" hotels.

I'd pick WL over AKL just because it has the boat to the Magic Kingdom, which is a heck of a lot easier than driving. But, if you're taking the bus, I don't think it'd matter much.

My mom (63) likes the Polynesian best because:

1. She likes the theme.
2. It has monorail access to the Magic Kingdom and that can't be beat.

Have a great trip, wherever you stay. And don't pass up Soarin'! There is nothing jarring or fast-moving about it...and it is fantastic.

Mom and I went together last year-I'm in my mid-50's, and she's in her mid-70's. Both of us like BCV the best. It's very close to Epcot (our favorite park), but it seems quieter, more peaceful than BWV (which is also within walking-distance of Epcot).

GSLand said:
We are planning a non-holiday winter trip. Which resort is friendly for "mature" adults? I don't mean we need special access (no wheelchairs, etc) - but we would like a nice, quiet room with a good location relative to the parks.
All the deluxe resorts are wonderful. It would depend on your budget and how quiet or convenient you want it. The AKL is stunning and very quiet. Only trouble is, it is very far removed from all the parks other than DAK. The GF,Poly, or CR are all on the monorail loop so easy access to MK and switch to the other monorail loop to get to Epcot. You could take a boat to MGM from Epcot. Would have to take a bus or drive to the DAK. The wilderness lodge is really stunning, but you need to have transportation to get anywhere. You can take the boat launch to the MK and hop on the monorail to get to Epcot. It does seem very quiet and restful though when I've been there. The Epcot resorts have the advantage of being within walking or boating distance of both Epcot and MGM. I've stayed at BWV twice and I love it, but it does tend to be a little noisy if you have a boardwalk view room. The noise does end around 10:00 and I don't mind it because I tend to go to bed around midnite. I'd have to agree w/ the previous poster that the BCV are probably alot quieter than the BWV. You will have a grand time no matter which resort you choose, because all the deluxe resorts are just that-Deluxe.

My vote is for AKL! It will take your breath away - truly beautiful and has a more "adult" feel to it.

GSLand said:

what do you want more nice, quiet or convience to the parks.

OKW is wonderful for nice and quiet. the best in my mind.

but bus transportation only to the parks.

the Polyn is convenience to both MK and Epcot (my two favorites) - but it does attract alot of families so the noise factor can be greater here. (so can the cost). you can monrail to both parks

BC is probably one of the best - it is quiet (most of the time) - but can attract a bunch of kids - that pool is a big kids magnet. BCV would be a better choice - but there studios only have queen bed and double sleeper sofa. you can walk to both Studios and Epcot (or ride the boat - but walking is generally faster)

OKW has 2 queen beds.

all the DVC resorts - OKW, BWV, VWL, BCV, SSR - have a studio with a kitchennett, the 1-bedroom and up have a full kitchen (with washer/dryer)

you can rent a reservation from a member and save yourself quiet a bit of money.

BC/BCV has a problem getting to MK, AK, DD - bus transportation only and sometimes it shares a bus with the other Epcot resorts (but only sometimes)

WL/VWL has a problem getting to DD, AKL, Epcot, Studios - bus transportation only and it sometimes shares a resort with other MK resort.

Polyn problems are DD, AKL, Studios (direct transportation) - bus transportation only and it can share a bus with the other MK resorts.

OKW and AKL don't share a bus with anyone. But OKW has multiple stops before it leave. AKL doesn't. but AKL is not near any of the parks. it is even a couple of miles from AK. so despite not sharing a bus it can take it around 30 minutes to just get to the MK. DD further away. Epcot & Studios is probably 15 minutes.

OKW even with stops is around 22 minutes to MK.
Epcot is close so 12 minutes.
studios is a little futher so 15 minutes.

AK is the furtherest 30 minutes.

We stayed at the AKL for the first time last year and we loved it. It is a very relaxing and quite resort. The rooms are fantastic. Each room has a balcony that we enjoyed each morning and evening. They have two great restaurants Boma & Jiko. I think you would love the AKL. :)

I vote for AKL too. My husband and I stayed there several times - once for four days and never left the resort! It is peaceful, great restaurants (Boma is great but noisey) (Jiko's much more subdued). Pool bar is great as is Victoria Falls. It is such a treat to be in the resort while everyone else is racing around theme parks! As for the busses to the parks, no sweat. They are prompt and so what if they take a few minutes longer. The CM's at the AKL can't be beat anywhere! Most are actually happy!

My personal belief (and I'm 66) is the Contemporary Tower. Everything is only an elevator ride away. The monorail station (for MK and Epcot) is inside the building. In case of inclement weather you do not have to go outside to get to one of the three restaurants or the lounge in the hotel. The rooms are larger than in AKL or WL and there are no long corridors.

Well, I would base the selection on budget and interests. If budget will support it, YC and BC are good choices. YC may be considered a bit more "adult" by some, but many families enjoy it. YC has a slight edge for me, because all rooms have a balcony. All BC rooms do not (or did not in 2003, which is when we stayed there).

If budget is tighter, a moderate such as POR or POFQ would be nice. These do have exterior corridors, though, rather than interior corridors of the deluxe resorts. POR and POFQ have WDW bus transport to the parks and ferry transport to DTD--shared with SSR and OKW.

If your favourite park is MK, any of the monorail resorts would be good. The Poly tends to have a lot of families, due to larger rooms, theming and proximity to MK. As a previous poster noted, CR tower is nice, as you can stay indoors if you choose. Even the monorail runs through the resort!

And for a real budget trip, the Hourglass Lake side of Building C, 50s section of Pop Century is quiet and about mid-point between the carpark and Centennial Hall! :)

I enjoy either the Wilderness Lodge or the Beach Club. I think both of these would be great.

The Wilderness Lodge is beautiful. The lobby is amazing and there are small sitting areas areound that are nice. Found one on the 2nd floor. Faces out to the lake and the pool and I hardly saw anyone out there. Tried the pool and hot tub over at the villas a few times (just around the building) and it was quieter than the main pool.

The Beach Club is nice, as it's centrally located to EPCOT & MGM Studios and just across the water from the Boardwalk. The pool is great here.

When we used to fly in from out-of-state, we'd stay at the YC for the adult atmosphere and access to the most adult park - Epcot, especially World Showcase. Now that we're locals, we also frequently go to the Animal Kingdom Lodge for drinks at Victoria Falls and dinner at Boma and Jiko and love, love, love the adult atmosphere. So, like others have said, it depends on what kind of access you'd like.

GSLand said:

hey I have been getting a free wheelchair from the front desk for mother (she will be 84 this trip) for the last 10 years. Don't knock them they are great and your friend who is 73 might need one to keep up with you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter