• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Max pass & Wifi

nickyl

Earning My Ears
Planning my trip from Australia to Disneyland in October. We have never bothered with getting an international phone with data/internet allowance because we have just used wifi at the hotel and when out. Do you think it’s possible to use Disneyland wifi and our hotel wifi for max pass, or do you really need a connection on your phone?

Planning my trip from Australia to Disneyland in October. We have never bothered with getting an international phone with data/internet allowance because we have just used wifi at the hotel and when out. Do you think it’s possible to use Disneyland wifi and our hotel wifi for max pass, or do you really need a connection on your phone?
When I was there in March, the park wi-fi wasn't reliable for my AT&T cell.
The hotel was fine though. I just broke down and used my data plan to connect when in the parks.

Geemo

At DL, it isn’t park-wide wi-fi, there are hot spots throughout the park and if you aren’t near one there is no wi-fi. The hotspots are shown on the park map. So I would not rely on the in-park wi-fi solely if you are using MaxPass.

Some international guests buy cheap phones at WalMart or other stores to use only for their DLR needs. There is a Target about a mile south of the parks on Harbor and sometimes there are Best Buy vending machines in the airport that sell cheap phones with prepaid cards. Depending on how often you visit the US, you can hang on to the phone for future visits and make a deposit on the card as needed or sell the phone after your trip.

We have just purchased US sims for our phones for our up coming trip in september. They cost us $30AUD and will be active for 30 day’s once activated.
We get unlimited texts within the US and internationally. Also unlimited calls within US.
They have 3GB of data. Which will be plenty. We purchased two. That way we can split up and call/text each other to meet back up.
We’ve already received them and will put them in our phones and activate once we are over there.

I think the US sim might be the best option, what brand/where did you get your sim a&s?

My phone has never worked with a us sim. I was able to use the wifi hotspots in the park for maxpass. You just have to go to where they are to make your new selection rather than making it wherever you are.

My daughter and I did not have much luck in March trying to use the Park WiFi. I would say best to get a data plan if you can.

I'd get a SIM. I do that every time we travel internationally and it works well. Good luck!

It seems so much easier to have unfettered access data to make full use of MaxPass. However, if you do find that you can't conveniently or affordably get a data plan, you can still benefit from MaxPass. The only significant drawback would be the need to find a (hopefully usable) WiFi hotspot to use the app or to simply walk to the FastPass distribution kiosks. But you would still have some of the benefits of MaxPass: shorter wait times for next eligibility and access to PhotoPass photos (when a data network is available). One tricky part is the process to purchase MaxPass. If it's not already included when you purchase your park tickets, I think I've read that Guest Relations can add MaxPass to a ticket if you don't have data access on the app. But I don't have direct experience with that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter