May 2024 WISH Thread

I am catching up. I am thankful for DD finally getting into the Neurologist. We have a plan but right now it is not working. It just takes time. She is on a daily med now but it will take awhile for it to kick in. We were also told to go to the ER when she got a bad migraine. Well that was Saturday but the meds only worked for about 16 hours. It was nice to be able to send a message to the doctor and get a response buy 8 this morning on what we should do. They said go to the ER again and that she needs stronger meds and those are IV ones. I have it in writing so I know what to tell the ER doc. We haven't gone yet since she is taking her AP gov test and I have no way to get ahold of her. As soon as she is done I am picking her up and taking her. I am so thankfully that after 6-9 months I feel like we have support and someone that can help.

1. Think of your favorite elementary teacher. What made them special?
  • I feel like I had some pretty mean Elementary teachers. My Kindergarten teacher was great. We had monarch butterflies that we released, had a wedding for Q and U, a letters people program that I got to be one of only 6 students out of like 50 to do a dance and she was just so nice. I was behind in speech and had a learning disability but I never felt different in her class. My 6th grade teacher was great too. He was very kind though we all had to take turns reading stuff in class. I hated that.
2. Think of your least favorite elementary teacher. What was wrong with them?
  • I had several. My first grade teacher was mean and I got yelled at a lot because my desk (the inside part) was always a mess and things falling out. Though she is the teacher that caught my eye issue. I had the same teacher for 2nd and 4th grade and she was mean too but looking back maybe she wasn't too bad. She called me Stephy all the time and I hated it and she yelled a lot (we all called her bug eyes because when ever she yelled her eyes got really big. You knew when she was mad) and in 4th grade I started a new school and she pulled me up right at the beginning of class on the first day and embarrassed me. She also didn't fall for me being stick with a stomach ache every day. I am sure it was anxiety because I was so much further behind in Math then everyone. I also had a tutor that for an entire year she could not say my last name properly and every day I would correct her (I had an easy last name too). I think my 5th grade teacher was the worst though. She was horribly mean, painted her nails in class every day. We got in trouble all the time for very minor things. I think I didn't do 1 assignment and I had to stay at recess to write definitions from the dictionary.
3. Who was your favorite middle school teacher and why?
  • My 7th grade science teacher was my favorite of all my teachers. He was a lot of fun. The first assignment was to write the directions on how to make a PB&J sandwich. The day that they were due he brought in everything he needed to make one and then followed our directions. It really showed you how to write out every step. I used this a lot with what I do now at work. I have a huge fear of snakes and when we had to watch a movie on them I turned around and wouldn't watch it. He thought it was the funniest thing. He had Polio as a kid and we all knew that if there was any type of fire or had to be evacuated we knew where to go because it would take him longer to get down the stairs. In high school I also dated his son (we are the same age) for a short time.
4. Who was your least favorite middle school teacher and why?
  • My 8th grade science teach was the worst. He made comments to the girls all the time. Yelled at me because I went to my 7th grade teacher for help once. I even got pulled into the teachers lounge by our police officer to answer questions about him. He was just awful. They ended up moving him to in school suspensions. It was a better place for him but he should never have been teaching.
5. Who was your favorite high school teacher and why?
  • My home ec teacher. She was a great teacher. Helped teach me a lot about sewing. I made my prom dress one year. I also made a flannel and a blazer. She also helped a lot with helping me to find what I wanted to do with my life. I think I had her almost every year for something in home ec. She didn't candy coat things and she expected a lot but was also very caring.
6. Who was your least favorite high school teacher and why?
  • I have 2. My freshman english teacher had no control over the class but because she was the coach of the JV soccer team (I played JV that year) I got in trouble for talking to my friend while other kids were smoking. I don't even really remember her teaching anything. My geography teacher in 10th grade was another one that had no control. It was bad. worse then the english teacher. No teaching went on at all in this class.
7. Who was your favorite university/trade school/etc. teacher and why?
  • My comp 1 teacher. I went to the university for 1 semester but for this class somehow ended up at the local community college. She was great with helping me (this was were my learning disability was at). She took her time and helped me through out the semester. I was going to take her for comp 2 but I ended up going back home and going to the local community college here.
8. Who was your least favorite university/trade school/etc. teacher and why?
  • I don't think I had a bad one just ones I don't really remember. I think I would give this to the office of disability at the university I went to. I went in before school started to set up services because I knew I would need help. They refused to help because my IEP was not active any longer. It ended about 2 years before I graduated high school. I was so mad. Here I was asking for help so I can succeed and no matter what I said, they would not help. I ended up doing great in college and really didn't need it.

I started my post yesterday but didn't finish since DD called. We went to the ER and were their for a pretty long time. They were really busy with a lot of kids coming in but we didn't wait too long until we were in a room. The ER doc on Saturday just wanted to give her Aleve and I asked for the cocktail. She didn't want to because it would make DD tired. The doc yesterday wanted to give her the meds they gave her on Saturday because they worked for 16 hours and told me that they are not there to cure it just to make her feel better. I told him to what her Neurologist said and he was still arguing with me. I told him the meds didn't work if we were back in less then 48 hours. I also told him to contact her neurologist. Finally, after talking to her doctor the gave her the stronger IV meds. she is also on a steroid for about a week. Please pray for me. The last time she was on a steroid she almost threw a chair at me because I told her it was time to take a bath. She was about 7 then now a teenager. I hope it goes much smoother.

Prayers for your daughter @piglet1979 - so hard trying to figure out what is best!

I do take an eye vitamin every morning. My mom has macular degeneration and my eye doctor said taking the vitamin and wearing sunglasses when you're in the sun are about the only things you can do to help your odds of getting it. My mom has to get shots in her eyes every 4 weeks, but so far, they have definitely helped her. There are constant improvements in the treatment, so that's definitely a plus!

I feel like I should be taking other vitamins though - probably a multivitamin for sure, but just haven't started it.

Tomorrow our insurance company is hosting a webinar about gut health that I'm going to watch. I hear so much about probiotics, but definitely don't know enough to try to pick one out of know if one would help. A couple of the girls at work take some of the plexus products, but I just don't know what to think about it all. Hopefully tomorrow will give me some more information about everything.

I started my post yesterday but didn't finish since DD called. We went to the ER and were their for a pretty long time. They were really busy with a lot of kids coming in but we didn't wait too long until we were in a room. The ER doc on Saturday just wanted to give her Aleve and I asked for the cocktail. She didn't want to because it would make DD tired. The doc yesterday wanted to give her the meds they gave her on Saturday because they worked for 16 hours and told me that they are not there to cure it just to make her feel better. I told him to what her Neurologist said and he was still arguing with me. I told him the meds didn't work if we were back in less then 48 hours. I also told him to contact her neurologist. Finally, after talking to her doctor the gave her the stronger IV meds. she is also on a steroid for about a week. Please pray for me. The last time she was on a steroid she almost threw a chair at me because I told her it was time to take a bath. She was about 7 then now a teenager. I hope it goes much smoother.
Great job advocating for what she needs!

I do take supplements and do feel better when I am consistent with them. I take a women's multi, an omega mix, vitamin d3, milk thistle, magnesium, Nutrafol for hair and sometimes probiotics.

Day one is in the books and I did manage to stay keto but didn't quite make my fasting window. This morning the sun is back, and I got down to the beach for a pre-work walk. What a way to start the day!

I do not take any supplements. I need to but I can't swallow to good and the gummies are a texture thing and just doesn't work. I should go back to taking Flinstone Vitamins. That is what I had to take when I was pregnant because the prenatal vitamins were too big.

@piglet1979 Amazon has a liquid vitamin DD was taking before I could trust her to chew one…worked ok. If you are interested it is under children’s but has a dosage for folks over 12. It’s orange flavor with a yellow label.

I take fish oil, magnesium and a multi vitamin every night. Also November-March I add vitamin d3 to the list to combat the lack of sunshine. The magnesium is a life saver since I started taking it my back issues have decreased substantially and I recommend it to everyone (whether they ask or not) who is prone to muscle spasms or has a tough time sleeping.

@piglet1979 Amazon has a liquid vitamin DD was taking before I could trust her to chew one…worked ok. If you are interested it is under children’s but has a dosage for folks over 12. It’s orange flavor with a yellow label.

I take fish oil, magnesium and a multi vitamin every night. Also November-March I add vitamin d3 to the list to combat the lack of sunshine. The magnesium is a life saver since I started taking it my back issues have decreased substantially and I recommend it to everyone (whether they ask or not) who is prone to muscle spasms or has a tough time sleeping.
Have you tried magnesium lotion... it is also great.

Have you tried magnesium lotion... it is also great.
Yes! I have a foam that is great when there is a smidge extra ouch.

Did anyone have their levels tested before they began taking vitamins or just take them knowing they are good for you?
The magnesium was recommended by my chiropractor and the d3 by my gp. The fish oil and multi just started because I knew they were a good idea in general.

I take a Women’s over 50 Centrum, Osteo Biflex, 1000 mg Vitamin C, Florigen-15 billion (refrigerated probiotics), ginger capsules, milk thistle extract, and garlic capsules.

I definitely feel different when I don’t take them especially the probiotics.

Last edited:
Oh, lady sunshine I love you so much. I don't really consider myself a sun-seeker, but I am for sure solar powered and very excited about the upcoming weather forecast which is sunny or partly sunny for the foreseeable future. So that is woohoo number one.

Woohoo number two... due to woohoo number one I can start planting seedlings out in the garden.

Woohoo... this is day three for keto. I haven't had any carbs but am struggling with getting balanced nutrition.

Magnesium is one of the meds they gave DD while she was in the ER on Monday. They gave it to her via IV but may need to look into this for her and I.

I am not fully woohooing today but I will say not having anything but work today is a woohoo. I have been pretty stressed with everything lately. Work has been great and are good with whatever I need but I have been putting stress on myself to try and get everything done. I had a bit of a break down yesterday.

It didn't help my stress any that my aunt reached out to me about my cousin yesterday. My cousin is having brain surgery for Chiari Malformation Type 1. She wanted me to know since one of the main symptoms is headaches. Basically it is where the brain dips down too far in the back of your head. DD's neurologist mentioned this to us without giving us the name. This is why she wants DD to have a MRI. After looking it up and I can see why she is having DD do the MRI. She has almost every symptom of this. I am glad my aunt told me and it it is good for us to know because 1. I would want to know that my cousin is having brain surgery and 2. for DD's doctor to know but now I am worried that DD will be going down the same path.

I am not fully woohooing today but I will say not having anything but work today is a woohoo. I have been pretty stressed with everything lately. Work has been great and are good with whatever I need but I have been putting stress on myself to try and get everything done. I had a bit of a break down yesterday.

It didn't help my stress any that my aunt reached out to me about my cousin yesterday. My cousin is having brain surgery for Chiari Malformation Type 1. She wanted me to know since one of the main symptoms is headaches. Basically it is where the brain dips down too far in the back of your head. DD's neurologist mentioned this to us without giving us the name. This is why she wants DD to have a MRI. After looking it up and I can see why she is having DD do the MRI. She has almost every symptom of this. I am glad my aunt told me and it it is good for us to know because 1. I would want to know that my cousin is having brain surgery and 2. for DD's doctor to know but now I am worried that DD will be going down the same path.
We need a 'love sending hugs' emoji because this laughing heart eyes guy doesn't give the right vibe... but that's my intent, sending hugs.

sending good thoughts to you and dd @piglet1979
If you do start magnesium it is readily available in many different doses and different sized pills as well as lotions and sprays depending on what you need it for.

Woowhoo I managed to leave work, get gas and get home without getting stuck in any crazy downpours. Kids also managed to get off the busses in between them as well.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter