Medical emergency

tiggger1

<font color=green>I put vicks on my feet<br><font
We just got off the 4 day dream this morning and there were medical emergencies on castaway cay yesterday. Does anyone have any info on them?. Rumors were one was 14 boy and the other was a 40 something year old man. I heard that one or both passed away, but they were keeping it hush hush... Friends were right were the boy was and saw then working on him and another saw the man collapse... Hubby saw the emergency vehicles and staff running but we weren't near it.

Not trying to gossip. Friends were there when it happened and wanted to know if they were OK or not. She said it was very scary.

We just got off the 4 day dream this morning and there were medical emergencies on castaway cay yesterday. Does anyone have any info on them?. Rumors were one was 14 boy and the other was a 40 something year old man. I heard that one or both passed away, but they were keeping it hush hush... Friends were right were the boy was and saw then working on him and another saw the man collapse... Hubby saw the emergency vehicles and staff running but we weren't near it.
I just seen someone post in my cruise fb group the man passed away.. So sad!

Not trying to gossip. Friends were there when it happened and wanted to know if they were OK or not. She said it was very scary.

I agree with not trying to gossip. We were on a 5 night and night 3 our entire family (8,7, 4 year old, too) witnessed a man having CPR performed on him in the Walt Disney Theatre. We were all concerned for his welfare.

That isn't the point. It's about showing respect.

I don't think it's disrespectful to show concern. We witnessed a man collapse on CC years ago and they had to call in a helicopter. He did not make it either. Many were asking around about him that night as they were upset and worried about him and his family.

My uncle died on a cruise ship with his wife, leaving her to find a way to get him home to New England. This was back in the 60's before the kind of travel insurance we have now. She was put in a stressful and financially demanding situation as everyone wanted payment up front.

I for one do not think it is disrespectful at all. Yes, it is sad something happened. However, if there is an underlying cause of this that can be prevented, KNOWLEDGE is key. I am willing to bet that 90+% of cruisers have no clue what a stonefish or scorpion fish is. I bet they never knew they look exactly like a reef rock. One tiny sting from these releases lots of toxins into the body. Some people are far more prone to far more risky outcomes from these toxins. I am sure many people think that stingrays are only at the feeding station. One wrong step on the sandy bottom and you have a nice stinger in your foot. That can cause a multitude of problems as well.

People think because it is Disney, it is safe. I watched a video where a guy filmed a green eel on the snorkeling trail. Eels are mostly docile. However, you corner one and it feels threatened, those sharp teeth are going to cause some serious damage. I bet people don't know about having shiny items on in the water. Bright flashes underwater attracts barracuda. A small size barracuda can shred a bunch of skin off in one fast pass.

I for one do not think it is disrespectful at all. Yes, it is sad something happened. However, if there is an underlying cause of this that can be prevented, KNOWLEDGE is key. I am willing to bet that 90+% of cruisers have no clue what a stonefish or scorpion fish is. I bet they never knew they look exactly like a reef rock. One tiny sting from these releases lots of toxins into the body. Some people are far more prone to far more risky outcomes from these toxins. I am sure many people think that stingrays are only at the feeding station. One wrong step on the sandy bottom and you have a nice stinger in your foot. That can cause a multitude of problems as well.

People think because it is Disney, it is safe. I watched a video where a guy filmed a green eel on the snorkeling trail. Eels are mostly docile. However, you corner one and it feels threatened, those sharp teeth are going to cause some serious damage. I bet people don't know about having shiny items on in the water. Bright flashes underwater attracts barracuda. A small size barracuda can shred a bunch of skin off in one fast pass.

We've seen barracuda at CC in the distance. We've also had stingrays swim past us, but never bothered us. In all my trips to CC (which is 9 times), we've never heard of any reports of attacks like that or water injuries (on our trips -- don't know about others). I've only seen or heard of heart attack cases, etc. on the beach itself. I've never been afraid to go in the water on either beach.

I don't find it disrespectful either as it is quite common occurrence for there to be deaths on cruise ships. I remember after my last cruise a crew member had made a comment in passing about some crazy statistic and I looked it up when I got back and couldn't believe some of the statistics I read about how many people die on ships, the procedures they go through and the facilities on the ships. Obviously it is not something that is advertised, but cruise lines are well versed in the situation.

Wait, I missed the part where anyone said it was a stonefish or scorpion fish. This is why rumors start...

Wait, I missed the part where anyone said it was a stonefish or scorpion fish. This is why rumors start...

I don't think the post claims that was what happened, but that stuff like that would be a good reason to KNOW what happened to him vs. keeping mum about the incident for the family's privacy. :thumbsup2

Neither were in the water or on the beach. The boy was by the water slide and a friend said he either collapsed or for knocked down by the water when the bucket dropped the water. She said they did CPR and shocked him for a while. She was trying to calm down the boys mother. She said they carried him off with towels blocking him. Another family we were with was walking near The man who apparently had a heart attack. The boat was delayed over an hour leaving castaway cay and they announced it was because of a medical emergency

All cruise ships have a small morgue for the unfortunate occasions where a passenger dies on board. Given you have elderly or people with chronic conditions, it happens. Just not something that's announced. These incidents were highly visible.

Agreed with both views that people are curious and want to know what happened with these incidents, but at the same time, one shouldn't wildly speculate or spread rumors out of respect for the families. Unfortunately, it seems to be a more harmful year than ever for theme park deaths with the alligator at Disney and the water slide incident.

Never stated it was. I was pointing out dangers that 99.99% of the people cruising know nothing about. It would be pure speculation of what happened because it is highly unlikely Disney legally has to.

I heard that one or both passed away, but they were keeping it hush hush...
As others have stated, or implied, this is standard practice so as to protect the privacy of the patient and family. Under HIPPA laws (even if they don't technically apply at sea or foreign ports) the company could get into a lot of trouble for disclosing medical information.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter