Meg & Ryan's Escape Wedding

PrincessSoshi

Earning My Ears
Meghan & Ryan's Planning Journal

Our Story:
My name is Meghan and my fiance's name is Ryan. We both attended Florida State University and lived in the same dorm. One day, in 2006, I happened to met Ryan while I was talking to his roommate. I can honestly say I felt a drop in the pit of my stomach and I knew that this person was important and I just had to get to know him; I thought maybe we will be great friends in the future. I made excuses to talk to him and I found out that he was enrolled in a multicultural film class which also fulfilled a requirement I needed. Multicultural film is a class where the students are required to go see movies at the student cinema and then we talk about the films in class. Now I couldn't enroll in the exact class he was in because he was in honors and I wasn't, but I was able to get in a different class. So I asked him, since I didn't know anyone in my class, could we go see the movies together; and of course he said yes. It took a while, but after alot of flirting he finally realized that I liked him. We started hanging out all the time and he finally held my hand after a couple weeks(we are both pretty shy people). We had our first kiss at a Valentine's Day party. We updated our facebook status the next day (you can laugh I know that's cheesy) and we were inseparable after that. We were each others first boyfriend and girlfriend. We were that disgustingly in love couple and we both considered each other our best friend. After 3 years of dating we broke up, mainly because he was leaving college and long distance rarely ever works out. We remained friends even after we both left college and went back to our own home towns on opposite sides of FL. After I went on a few dates with some losers I think I realized that Ryan was the most caring and good person I have ever known, we have all the same beliefs and values and I was an idiot for ever letting him go. We started talking more often in the beginning of 2012 and my sister planning a Disney trip for us in May. So I asked Ryan to go to Disney and I think after that trip we both realized we really do belong together. So we got back together and I moved in with him at the beginning of 2013.
4923ce26-d06e-4619-a213-fa88a71923f7_zps7c81472e.jpg

The proposal:
He knows how much I love Disney. I have been going there with my family since I was really little and in middle school we had annual passes, so we went about once a month. He is not a huge disney fan, but I have been converting him into a Disney lover. So in June 2013, one late evening, Ryan says we need to go to sports authority to buy me some new walking shoes because he wants to take me somewhere tomorrow. He also bought me a cute shirt, at the time I had know idea why. My only clues were there will be lots of walking and drinking. So naturally I thought we were just going to a local celebration downtown or something. As I get ready for bed, Ryan is looking at his phone and I hear SIRI say directions to Lake Beuna Vista. Ryan says "Damn you SIRI, well the cat's out of the bag now. We are going to Disney World tomorrow." Of course I was so excited to be hearing that. We woke up super early and drove to Disney. He still kept it a surprise that we were going to Epcot and were doing a drinking tour around the world showcase. After we went on a few rides in future world he asked if before we get all hot and sweaty should we go up front to take a picture next to the Epcot ball. So we went up to the front of the park and found a photo pass photographer to take our picture. He told me to go pick a place to stand and put my purse down so it wont be in the photo. We both got in position and then he was telling me "you know I love you right, and you make me so happy". And of course all I could think was stop talking you're ruining the picture, so I quickly said "yes I know". Then he got down on one knee and asked if I would marry him. I was so surprised I was a little speechless, but I finally got a "yes" out. He says now that it took forever for me to answer, but I think time seemed slower for him because he was waiting for an answer. I asked him later why I had to buy a shirt and shoes yesterday and he said that he remembered I once said I wanted to be dressed in a cute outfit when he proposed, and that was the best he could do because the mall was already closed that evening. I thought it was so considerate of him to think of that.

Planning:
Over the summer my fiance and I decided that we are going to get married at Disney World. So of course I started planning it right away. We started to consider August 2014 and planned everything out. But then of course I changed my mind when I thought about how hot it was going to be. I mean I live in FL so I knew that just walking from the limo to the venue in a heavy wedding dress I would probably be sweating, not to mention I would definitely be sweating for any photos that I would want to take outside. So in September we changed it to March 2014, which meant I could go ahead and call about dates.

:offtopic:We decided to go with an Escape wedding because 1) its cheaper and 2) my fiance said he really didn't want a 4 hour reception anyways. An Escape wedding is a good option if you have a really large family and not a lot of money, but are determined to get married at Disney. My sister had 80 people at her wedding and that wasn't even including everyone that could of come. I just don't want that many people and I definitely can't afford to pay for food for that many people at a Disney Wishes Wedding.

So with almost 6 months to go I called DFTW and tried to figure out dates that would work with our school schedule (we are both teachers). I chose the wedding pavilion because we originally wanted it when we were thinking of August because of rain. I got the date of March 27th because it is during our spring break week of school and I thought my fiance didn't have any vacation days left because he took off almost two weeks due to illness.

Now of course at 4 and 1/2 months to go I want to change everything. My fiance and I went to visit disney last weekend and looked at the wedding pavilion and sea breeze point. My fiance was concerned that the wedding pavilion will look too empty with only about 13 people sitting down. We peaked into the wedding pavilion, which was being decorated for a wedding, and although it looks really pretty it is rather large. The reason I really liked it before was because of the pictures with the castle in the background. And my wonderful fiance reminded me that I should worry less about the pictures and more about what the feel of the wedding will be on that day. Plus we are doing a bridal portrait shoot at the Magic Kingdom so I will get pictures with the castle. After we looked at sea breeze point, we decided we definitely want to have our wedding there instead. Which now means I need to call and change the location and possibly the date. And after that I need to change the hotel reservations and then work on booking the dinner too. :scared: I have so much to do and so little time. They told me I need to finish deciding on things by the beginning of January.

I think if I change the date I would like to change it to a week earlier, so we could have our wedding towards the end of the week right before spring break (we will have to take off a couple of days of work) and then have a whole extra week(spring break) before we have to go back to work. I think that would be better than having the wedding during spring break and we would end our honeymoon on sunday, then go to work on monday. Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated?????

The other thing I keep worrying about is the rain. March is supposed to be a somewhat rainy month, but for the past couple years it has been pretty dry. I don't know what to expect. I'm also not sure if I should do the ceremony in the morning or afternoon. Does anyone know if March is more known for morning or afternoon showers? Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated???

Sorry for the length. I get carried away sometimes.

[/QUOTE]I think if I change the date I would like to change it to a week earlier, so we could have our wedding towards the end of the week right before spring break (we will have to take off a couple of days of work) and then have a whole extra week(spring break) before we have to go back to work. I think that would be better than having the wedding during spring break and we would end our honeymoon on sunday, then go to work on monday. Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated?????

The other thing I keep worrying about is the rain. March is supposed to be a somewhat rainy month, but for the past couple years it has been pretty dry. I don't know what to expect. I'm also not sure if I should do the ceremony in the morning or afternoon. Does anyone know if March is more known for morning or afternoon showers? Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated???

Sorry for the length. I get carried away sometimes.[/QUOTE]

Congratulations on the disney engagment I am a huge disney lover but my DF not so much but he is coming along I am sure you will him a big disney lover! As for the date I think moving it up is smart if your getting more time off a wedding is alot of work so the more time to relax and enjoy the better! As for the showers its a toss up it could or could not I would be prepared either way to help alleviate stress and morning weddings tend be cheaper and not as hot.!
Good luck planning, ill be following along :)

Congrats! We are having our escape wedding in April. I love that it's not overwhelming you with options. Your story was so sweet and I loved your proposal. You looked so surprised. I like that your proposal was at Epcot, which makes it more unique since most proposals are at MK. And I love your engagement ring! Mine is different as well...I have a blue topaz. Looking forward to reason along :)

So I talked to DFTW and apparently Sea Breeze point is going to be under construction for 2 weeks in March 2014. Pretty much during the exact time we could get married, during our spring break. What are the odds that it would be unavailable the entire week before our spring break and almost the entire week of our spring break. The last weekend before we go back to work it's available of course. But I'm afraid to do it the day after the construction is supposedly done because if they are not. I have a feeling they will be like oops well I guess you will just have to get married in a ballroom, which is the last thing I want. :sad:

So the way I see it our only other option is the Canada Pavilion. I'm worried that it won't be available because there is only one time per day, 9am, even though we picked 4 days that would work for us. Hopefully on Monday DFTW will call me back with good news.

I'm sorry about SBP being unavailable! That is the location we have chosen and I know I would've been so devastated not to have it. I'm not too worried about the rain because even if I get moved to a ballroom, it will still be the best day of my life to this point.

I don't think you will have too much of a problem getting Canada terrace. From what I read it's not a very popular location so that works in your favor :)

Dress Shopping at David's Bridal went very well. Here are a couple of dresses I didn't pick but I really liked.

image_zpsb38949d2.jpg

Front:
image_zps3ee9dde8.jpg

Back:
image_zpsfe0a71b1.jpg

And this is the dress I chose. It has a sleeping beauty feel to it I think.
Front:
image_zps7cfbdd54.jpg

Back:
image_zps7fd8903c.jpg

First of all, that lace dress is STUNNING!!! But even BETTER?!? You went with that amazing blush Vera wang!!!! You're gorgeous and I'm obsessed!!!

First of all, that lace dress is STUNNING!!! But even BETTER?!? You went with that amazing blush Vera wang!!!! You're gorgeous and I'm obsessed!!!

You are so sweet thank you. I just love pink.

So it is official... we have changed our date and location. I was considering Canada Pavilion, but after I crunched the numbers I figured out that with the increase in price we may not be able to afford the dessert party and I really wanted that. So we have chosen to change the location to Sea Breeze Point and change the date to March 28th, Friday, which is only one day after the construction ends. DFTW said that they picked the days they did to do construction because there were no weddings scheduled and all they are doing is painting and fixing some boards so I'm gonna take the risk since it's the location we really want. There is already another wedding scheduled that day at SBP so I'm not too worried about it. Choosing this date for our wedding also means I don't have to change our hotel reservations, which works out nicely. The only big change is that we will be switching up our park days. We had planned to arrive on wednesday and do the rehearsal dinner, then wedding on thursday, and parks with family on friday and saturday. Now we will arrive on wednesday and do parks with family on wednesday and thursday, also do the rehearsal dinner thursday night, then wedding friday, and honeymoon just us two on saturday. So all in all some big changes but I think it will all work out.

I'm trying to plan a rehearsal dinner for the day before our wedding. Since we are doing the escape package we will not get an official rehearsal, so I guess the rehearsal dinner is more of a welcome dinner. Normally it is tradition for the groom's parents to pay for the rehearsal dinner, but my DF said we shouldn't count on that happening. I also just found out from my DF that his parents are not thrilled we are having a disney wedding. They would rather see us go to the court house or elope and not spend a bunch of money. I get that they don't want us to waste money, but to me its not a waste if it is something I really want. I mean it is our wedding and it will only happen once. Also apparently one of them hates disney, we don't know which one and don't know why, and frankly I don't want to know any more. Ryan and I love disney and that's all that matters. It's frustrating that my DF won't even talk to his parents about if they are paying for the rehearsal dinner or if they are even giving us any money at all. Since they are against it I'm guessing not. DF says hopefully they will show up, and I hope he is kiding.
Sorry I needed to vent.

So anyways the point is if they aren't paying for dinner then I may need to go to a restaurant that is on the cheaper side or have everyone pay for themselves. Is it rude to have people pay for themselves if we just say its a welcome dinner?

I was considering Ohana's, Citricos, or California Grill. Now I'm thinking about Paradiso 37 or Planet Hollywood at Downtown Disney for cheaper options. What do you guys think?

Hi there! :wave: I'm following along now! Your ring in gorgeous, your DF has great taste!

What time did you end up choosing at SBP? I'm glad you were able to get the location you wanted.

I'm sorry the future in-laws aren't as thrilled with a Disney wedding as you are. Some of the stories from parents and in-laws are so selfish it's infuriating! :mad: Especially if they don't end up putting any money towards your wedding, they should just sit back and enjoy that their son is happy! Oh well.......don't worry, you have plenty of Disbrides that support you guys!

The DTD restaurants seem to be pretty popular for rehearsal dinners and the like - I say go for it! I haven't heard bad things.

Your dress is beautiful!!!! I love it. We are doing an escape too and I am not doing a rehearsal dinner since there is no rehearsal. I have booked a group reservation at Be Our Guest for the night before the wedding. Anyone who wants to go can. It is a welcome dinner and if anyone WANs to come, I have sent them info with the menu and prices. So far everyone is coming. We are eating at Ohana for the dinner the night of the wedding.

Congratulations on your engagement and your Disney wedding plans! I think your day will be beautiful.

I love Sea Breeze Pointe, and I'm sure the construction will be done well ahead of time, you won't have anything to worry about.

Your dress is lovely, is it going to be a surprise for your fiance or does he know you are going with pink?

I'm sorry that your fiance's parents are not excited about the idea of a Disney wedding. Hopefully as the time gets closer, they will get more excited. But I think you are smart to assume they won't contribute and plan accordingly, just in case.

There are lots of things you can do for a welcome dinner, whatever your budget. I joke with my mom that as we get to the point where we are paying Disney for the wedding, we'll make the decision then about our welcome dinner...Animal Kingdom or a nice restaurant or pizza by the pool :) either way, it's about spending time with your guests before the big day; they'll be fine with whatever you end up choosing!

Can't wait to read more as your plans progress!

Brooke

Congrats to your engagement! I love your dress it has such a unique style.
I know how difficult it could be with your future in-laws. Mine also have totally different expectations to what DF and I want. So for me it is very inspiring that you make your dreams come true (especially the MK shoot ;-)).

What time did you end up choosing at SBP? I'm glad you were able to get the location you wanted.

I'm sorry the future in-laws aren't as thrilled with a Disney wedding as you are. Some of the stories from parents and in-laws are so selfish it's infuriating! :mad: Especially if they don't end up putting any money towards your wedding, they should just sit back and enjoy that their son is happy! Oh well.......don't worry, you have plenty of Disbrides that support you guys!

Thanks for your support. I'm sure they will enjoy the wedding and all the other festivities but they just won't be going to the theme parks with us I guess. Oh well. :) I chose 2:30pm at SBP.

Your dress is beautiful!!!! I love it. We are doing an escape too and I am not doing a rehearsal dinner since there is no rehearsal. I have booked a group reservation at Be Our Guest for the night before the wedding. Anyone who wants to go can. It is a welcome dinner and if anyone WANs to come, I have sent them info with the menu and prices. So far everyone is coming. We are eating at Ohana for the dinner the night of the wedding.

Your welcome dinner sounds like a great idea. Are your guests paying for themselves, because I'm kind of considering that too. I've heard Ohanas is a fun place to eat. I hope you are having better luck than I am getting a reservation. If you have any trouble talk to you wedding coordinator, mine said he can't book it for me but he can contact them directly and get the ball rolling.:rotfl:

Congratulations on your engagement and your Disney wedding plans! I think your day will be beautiful.

I love Sea Breeze Pointe, and I'm sure the construction will be done well ahead of time, you won't have anything to worry about.

There are lots of things you can do for a welcome dinner, whatever your budget. I joke with my mom that as we get to the point where we are paying Disney for the wedding, we'll make the decision then about our welcome dinner...Animal Kingdom or a nice restaurant or pizza by the pool :) either way, it's about spending time with your guests before the big day; they'll be fine with whatever you end up choosing!
Brooke

Thanks for all the encouragement!

I know how difficult it could be with your future in-laws. Mine also have totally different expectations to what DF and I want. So for me it is very inspiring that you make your dreams come true (especially the MK shoot ;-)).

Thank you for your support. It means a great deal knowing others have gone through the same thing.
:lovestruc

Here are a few engagement pictures my sister took.

Our last picture seems kind of silly, but we did that one because we were both in the circus together at FSU.

So much has happened in the past two weeks. I feel as though I was lost when it came to making the big decisions and now all of the decisions have been made. I'm not sure if I mentioned this before but I am one of the most indecisive people I know or any of my friends know. With that in mind, I have changed almost everything in my wedding from the original vision. I already told you guys about the change in venue, but my whole vision has changed as well. I first thought of wearing my beautiful pink vera wang gown with a black belt and having my bridesmaids wear black dresses. After I switched the venue to the outside location I felt my dress was too fashion runway, and my DF didn't like all the black. We then decided together that he would look great in a blue suit. So as I looked more at my dress (the pink vera wang)I didn't like the way the back laid so flat and it really needed a belt (but black was out now). So after stressing about it for a week or two I talked to my mom and she said why don't we go look at other dresses and see if that makes you secure in the dress you have or if you want to exchange it. After trying on a few more dresses I decided I definitely wanted a different dress. I now know what people mean by "the one" dress. I was debating between a classic lace A-line dress and more of a ball gown dress. The ball gown just made me want to twirl around and I felt like a princess. I knew that was my dress. I'm so thankful that david's bridal exchanged my dress. Now that I have my new dress, which I think fits me and my venue better, I switched the bridesmaids dresses to pink and my new theme is preppy/a little bit nautical with light pink and navy blue colors.

So I went through all the restaurant options with my maid of honor. I was planning on my wedding dinner being at Kimonos, because my DF and I love sushi. We thought they would have more than just sushi, but they really don't and alot of our guests don't like sushi. :worried: I then considered the Yachtsman Steakhouse, The Wave, and The Dinning Room at Wolf Gang Puck's. I'm not super impressed with the food at the wave, but they do offer a private room(which my parents think that's better). I love the food and the decor at the dinning room, but my maid of honor looked up the construction going on in DTD and it is right outside the window(so no view and not private). I really love the food at the yachtsman steakhouse and the location would be ideal to walk from dinner to our dessert party, only bad thing is they said our group will be split up between tables(my dad won't like that).
Does anyone think being split up at separate tables but still probably still being right next to each other is a big deal???

I have called the yachtsman steakhouse about 8 times and left 3 messages and still no answer. Fortunately my wedding coordinator Danny said he could email the restaurant and make sure they call me.:thumbsup2

I was so worried about everything, but as soon as I talked to Danny and asked all my questions I have felt so much better about all my decisions. I could tell that on my wedding day everything will be taken care of and I won't have to stress about anything.:cheer2:

So as I mentioned previously I exchanged my dress. Some great advice the david's bridal consultant gave me was, "Once you find the perfect dress stop looking at all other dresses, you don't need any doubt in your mind. I know it's hard with pintrest, but try to stop looking at dresses and comparing yours." I totally agree with that. So here is my new dress:

Front:
c79dc4c6-3964-4da2-8cad-c490b910fdfa_zps125e32a7.jpg

Back:
20131229_112857_resized_zps4aed3c8a.jpg

Me ringing the bell at David's Bridal making a wish:
20131229_121641_resized_zpsd2974fd6.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter