Members Only Cruise - pros and cons

I'll check in here! Also, eventually a person will start a Disboard meet thread that may get more play.

We have a cousin who had never cruised before, but was on the Alaska MC and loved it! She was hoping that Cuba was going to be the surprise destination. She's on the next Magic cruise after the MC and will stick with that.

I'm ready for a trip to Canada!

I understand that a MC cruise is part of your "bucket list" but maybe you should wait till 2017 or 2018 to fulfill your "bucket list" MC cruise item. Other than what goes on on the cruise, there is really not much in the way of port calls or excursions to interest anyone on this cruise. Halifax is nice in the summer but by October it's getting pretty cool or downright cold not only in Halifax but at sea as well. Remember that the water temp will be in the low 50's so your chances of grabbing some "rays" while spending two days at sea are pretty slim. Late Sept and early Oct are also peak Hurricane season in New England and even a 300 mile miss of a minor storm and make even the most seasoned mariner( and their stomach) wanting for dry hard land.

While personally, I cannot fathom spending this much money on a cruise, if I am going to spend the money, I at least want to enjoy the cruise to a warm climate and interesting ports of call, especially if this is to satisfy my "bucket list."
Exactly what my DH says. "It's to cold cruising to Halifax this time of year". I'm waiting till 2017 to see what's offer.

We've done 2 cruises on DCL, both were member cruises. We paid cash, and yes it's plenty expensive, but we'd def do another MC. Having done the 7 day cruise to Alaska, I think the Halifax trip seems a bit skimpy. The events & presentations were excellent, and it's fun to hangout with folks that are dyed-in-the-wool Disney fans--I don't know any in real life. The swag is pretty cool, but it's just stuff.

While we unfortunately wont be able to make this cruise let me add this. Halifax in October is amazing. Depending on how long your at port see about traveling to Mahoney Bay (just under hour away) it has the scarecrow festival going on. In Halifax it self dont miss the Alexandra Keith tour.Have lunch there too, the best lobster chowder. The best beer tour I have ever done, and I have done them all over the world, great for the kids too, yes. Pier 21 is the Canadian entry point for all the immigrants much like Ellis Island.
I will agree it is chilly, but the colors of the trees are something to see too. Enjoy all that can go.

While we unfortunately wont be able to make this cruise let me add this. Halifax in October is amazing. Depending on how long your at port see about traveling to Mahoney Bay (just under hour away) it has the scarecrow festival going on. In Halifax it self dont miss the Alexandra Keith tour.Have lunch there too, the best lobster chowder. The best beer tour I have ever done, and I have done them all over the world, great for the kids too, yes. Pier 21 is the Canadian entry point for all the immigrants much like Ellis Island.
I will agree it is chilly, but the colors of the trees are something to see too. Enjoy all that can go.

Wait..."beer tour?"...:drinking1

YUP<<GULP its all set in the 1800 period and they dont get out of character. It is a lot of fun then their restaurant attached is award winning. Plus you can get a flight of beers cheap. YUP

The NYC cruises to Canada are very popular. I can't find prices for the other 2 they are having, apparently all sold out.

The NYC cruises to Canada are very popular. I can't find prices for the other 2 they are having, apparently all sold out.

Yes, I have found that the one right after ours is sold out. Please post if you find any prices to compare. But remember that the MC usually includes gratuities. I think you said earlier that you couldn't confirm that for this cruise, but it's always been true in the past, right?

Yes, I have found that the one right after ours is sold out. Please post if you find any prices to compare. But remember that the MC usually includes gratuities. I think you said earlier that you couldn't confirm that for this cruise, but it's always been true in the past, right?

I posted this on another thread earlier tonight. We booked when they first opened, and planned to just cancel if the DVC Member Cruise to Canada became a reality.

We have the 10/2 5 Night Canadian Cruise booked for $1325pp in Cat 9A. It was crazy booking on opening day. I wonder how many people will end up cancelling, or if it will actually go out full.

We're also on one of the 7 Night Bahamian Cruises out of NYC. Those include a day at WDW (incl. tickets). We have Cat 7A on that one for $1820pp.

Given the pricing and value of the Member Cruise, we've decided to just keep what we already have booked.

I you are interested in comparing prices, you can find them on www.cruisefish.net

Yes, gratuities have been included in the past, but this time I noticed that was not mentioned. I did a chat with a CM who said she could not find out for me but it would be known by booking day.

DH & I seriously considered the repositioning cruise to San Juan. We will wait until our December cruise and price it out with the onboard discount.

My friend and I have firmed up our plans to call in for the MC. We will try for a starboard side veranda. We talked about other NYC cruises including down to Bahamas, and they will be nice, but in the end we want the Broadway singers and the other Member Cruise experiences.

Last edited:
Yes, gratuities have been included in the past, but this time I noticed that was not mentioned. I did a chat with a CM who said she could not find out for me but it would be known by booking day.

DH & I seriously considered the repositioning cruise to San Juan. We will wait until our December cruise and price it out with the onboard discount.

My friend and I have firmed up our plans to call in for the MC. We will try for a starboard side veranda. We talked about other NYC cruises including down to Bahamas, and they will be nice, but in the end we want the Broadway singers and the other Member Cruise experiences.

I chatted with a CM last Sunday who said gratuities are included.

I understand that a MC cruise is part of your "bucket list" but maybe you should wait till 2017 or 2018 to fulfill your "bucket list" MC cruise item. Other than what goes on on the cruise, there is really not much in the way of port calls or excursions to interest anyone on this cruise. Halifax is nice in the summer but by October it's getting pretty cool or downright cold not only in Halifax but at sea as well. Remember that the water temp will be in the low 50's so your chances of grabbing some "rays" while spending two days at sea are pretty slim. Late Sept and early Oct are also peak Hurricane season in New England and even a 300 mile miss of a minor storm and make even the most seasoned mariner( and their stomach) wanting for dry hard land.

While personally, I cannot fathom spending this much money on a cruise, if I am going to spend the money, I at least want to enjoy the cruise to a warm climate and interesting ports of call, especially if this is to satisfy my "bucket list."

Having done the Canada cruise out of NYC in 2012,you are 100% correct about the weather. But we didn't do it for the weather, but the convenience since I work in the city and we live just northwest. While we didn't get to swim, there was enough to do to keep us occupied. We are going to try for this cruise too for the same reason, and more so because of the added attraction of the member cruise. Only this time I won't be able to disembark and go right to work for the best commute ever.

We did one other in 2006 and while it is more expensive, it was definitely worth it. Where else could I have chatted with Roy Disney on CC and heard a duet from Jodi Benson and Jennifer Hudson? And they price will work out better, since we don't have airfare to worry about.

I'm struggling with the decision. My family is trying to talk me out of it, but I feel like I should book it and I can cancel later if I can't persuade them. But they won't be super supportive of me spending 3 hours on the phone Sunday morning...

I'm struggling with the decision. My family is trying to talk me out of it, but I feel like I should book it and I can cancel later if I can't persuade them.
If you are going to book on points, don't do it. If you book on points and then cancel, those points become reservation points and carry restrictions (can't be used for DVC Reservation nor World Collection Exchanges).

I'm struggling with the decision. My family is trying to talk me out of it, but I feel like I should book it and I can cancel later if I can't persuade them. But they won't be super supportive of me spending 3 hours on the phone Sunday morning...

It's hard to say exactly how much time it's going to take. This year this cruise does not seem particularly popular here, at least. The Magic is a smaller ship than the Dream, and last year they were booking both cruises at the same time. Maybe this year it will be easier. They do have a very generous cancellation policy for cash bookings. Best wishes to you as you decide what to do this Sunday!

My cabin mate for this cruise and I met on board this year's MC on the Dream, and we each have a husband who is less than enthusiastic than we are, so this works out for both of us. She's going to spend some time with us in Cape May before hand. We also have planned a "gals only" WDW trip for next year with some other DVC Members.

My family and I will be celebrating the Christmas Season in Dollywood this weekend, luckily the Park doesn't open until 2 on Sunday, so that gives us time to try to reach Member Services in the AM.

Bobbi

If you are going to book on points, don't do it. If you book on points and then cancel, those points become reservation points and carry restrictions (can't be used for DVC Reservation nor World Collection Exchanges).
Gosh, no, I'd never book any cruise on points, even if I had enough, which I don't. I would book on cash and pay with my Disney Chase Visa, which will give me 6 months interest free before I have to pay, and a month after that before I hit the 100% refundable deadline (90 days out). My only concern is that if I change the booking, like cancel my DH and add a friend, I think I'd have to pay $95.

Last edited:
I think you are right about the $95 change fee. However, I also think there's something about changing the "lead" person. Why don't you call and ask? Suppose you did not add anyone now, you pay the full 2 person fare, and once you decide who is going you add that person. It may not require the change cost. It seems to me that I have read something like that, but of course, I could be wrong.

Bobbi

I think you are right about the $95 change fee. However, I also think there's something about changing the "lead" person. Why don't you call and ask? Suppose you did not add anyone now, you pay the full 2 person fare, and once you decide who is going you add that person. It may not require the change cost. It seems to me that I have read something like that, but of course, I could be wrong.

Bobbi
Hmmm, intriguing. So I might be able to book for a nameless person at first? I'll have to look into that. Thanks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter