Merged Irma impact on The Fort threads here

I am in Tampa, we have been weighing whether or not I should hook up the popup and get out of the state with the dog and cat. I think we are okay to stay put and ride it out based on the latest forecast. My DH works for St Pete Police so he can't leave. My youngest son goes to a university in Daytona, which is directly in the path of the storm with its current track. They finally announced this afternoon that they are closing the school effective today through Tuesday, so he is on his way to Tampa now. We went through this same thing last year with Hurricane Matthew and I played host to a few other students from his school who are from out of state. We may end up doing that this year too, his school has a very high population of out of state/country students.

To all my fellow Floridians and those temporarily in the state, please be careful and stay safe!

Just saw something somewhat disturbing. Governor Scott of Florida, was talking about the gas shortage that is happening currently and in the next few days. He assures us that gas will be available and has even lifted the load limit restrictions for Semi's. I'm thinking very seriously that I will put a couple of 5 gallon jugs in the back of my truck for that "just in case" scenario while traveling to the Fort the end of next week. I will be coming from the panhandle of Florida via I-10/I-75/Florida Turnpike/429

Last edited:
I
My parents are above Clearwater, they are headed north today. Can't even fathom the traffic on 75 right now. Even with most models showing not going east, it's still likely to effect the whole state as wide as it is.
Stay safe Florida peeps
I live about 3 miles off of 75 about an hour south of Ocala. The traffic going north has been creeping all day. Supposedly it's the same all the way to the Georgia line.

Atlanta Motor Speedway offers free camping, RV parking for hurricane evacuees
By Jerry BonkowskiSep 6, 2017, 12:16 PM EDT

Atlanta Motor Speedway announced Wednesday it will open its camping and RV facilities on Thursday for Hurricane Irma evacuees.

There will be no charge for evacuees, including those from Florida and along the Gulf Coast, seeking temporary refuge from the approaching hurricane.

The camping areas allow evacuees to park their vehicles or to pitch tents. Also, the Rinnai Shower Station camper bath house will allow evacuees free access to hot showers and restroom facilities.

Evacuees should enter the AMS property at Entrance “E” off Georgia Highway 19/41. The Unreserved Campgrounds will be on the left.

Those with campers and RVs should follow Lower Woolsey road to Entrance “H” by the Speedway Credential Building. Turn onto and stay on Richard Petty Boulevard and then turn left into Entrance “G.” The campgrounds are on the right hand side.

AMS is about 25 miles south of Atlanta on Georgia Highway 19/41 and about eight miles west of Interstate 75 off Georgia Highway 20.

Talladega is doing the same

I'm saying prayers for you all whether you live in the hurricane area or are staying at WDW.

Stay safe.

Just saw something somewhat disturbing. Governor Scott of Florida, was talking about the gas shortage that is happening currently and in the next few days.
I was thinking the same thing. I can carry 100 gallons between the primary and auxiliary tanks. That will get me nearly all the way to the Fort (1004 miles). I'll be driving down on Friday the 15th. Hopefully things will be open, but just in case, I'll be topping off the tanks somewhere in Kentucky or Tennessee.

j

I was thinking the same thing. I can carry 100 gallons between the primary and auxiliary tanks. That will get me nearly all the way to the Fort (1004 miles). I'll be driving down on Friday the 15th. Hopefully things will be open, but just in case, I'll be topping off the tanks somewhere in Kentucky or Tennessee.

j
I'd top off in Alabama/Georgia depending on which way you're coming in. Just to be safe.

Latest from hurricane center keeping to East Coast of Florida and heading north. Supposedly being on west side of hurricane is better but not sure that is much better when talking about a category 4 or 5 storm.
235728_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

Well,

A week from now I will be on vacation. Leaving Thursday afternoon to drive just past Nashville for an overnight, then Friday driving down to within 30 minutes of the Fort... hopefully. I have a reservation Friday night for Lake Louisa. I think WDW and the Fort should be fine by then, but the small campgrounds and state parks don't have near the resources to get back up and running as fast. I may be putting my old RV generator from my last 5er in the new one this weekend and finding any parking lot.

I'd top off in Alabama/Georgia depending on which way you're coming in. Just to be safe.

Latest from hurricane center keeping to East Coast of Florida and heading north.
If the very latest predictions hold (they are starting to converge on the same path), this thing may be taking the same path as Matthew, just off the east coast of FL. While not great for the coast, probably a better bet for WDW. I will be coming down I-24 from Nashville and picking up I-75 in Chattanooga. Then right down GA. North GA should be OK for fuel. I wouldn't want to try south of Atlanta.

j

Hi All, We were at the Fort for storm Matthew last year and they closed the Fort with a text message and a note taped to our campsite. They gave us a warning on Tuesday evening and then on Wednesday said we had to be out by 11 on Thursday. Management offered no help in reaccomodating us. They said get on I 4 and head West. I-4 at that time was a parking lot! We were able to book an All star resort room and parked the RV in the large lot. Remember Matthew ( Cat 2) was not as strong as Irma and we felt safe in a concrete building. If we lost the RV to the wind or a tree so be it, we were safe. Good luck to you all!

If the time frame holds true, I-75 and I-95 will be a southbound parking lot probably Monday and Tuesday. Towards the end of the week, it will be traffic as usual ... perhaps a little heavier. Again, I am still gonna bring along 10 gallons of additional fuel ... just in case. We are leaving home the 16th and staying the night at Suwanee River State Park ( hopefully ) then leaving there the 17th for the Fort.

j

Was just wondering today if I could get an aux tank in before our trip, for the same reason.

Yeah, this morning winds are down slightly at 175mph but still category 5. The Hurricane Center model has changed little from last night. Some of the video from the Virgin Islands is impressive to say the least.
145453_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

Hi All, We were at the Fort for storm Matthew last year and they closed the Fort with a text message and a note taped to our campsite. They gave us a warning on Tuesday evening and then on Wednesday said we had to be out by 11 on Thursday. Management offered no help in reaccomodating us. They said get on I 4 and head West. I-4 at that time was a parking lot! We were able to book an All star resort room and parked the RV in the large lot. Remember Matthew ( Cat 2) was not as strong as Irma and we felt safe in a concrete building. If we lost the RV to the wind or a tree so be it, we were safe. Good luck to you all!

I'm surprised by this as years past they would book campers into a room if they had to evacuate the Fort. A family member was booked into the Coronado when Charlie went through. One of the reasons I wasn't worried about going in end of Aug '18 was the thought Disney would provide a room if the Fort needed to be closed. Wonder if it has to do with whether you have travel insurance or not?

Still no news from The Fort but we are thinking of just getting a room ourselves.
Very disappointed in Disney's lack of communication with the only guests that would have to be evacuated. If the above post about the way they treated guests at the Fort during hurricaine Matthew is true then I am afraid to risk it. Will be cancelling reservation. Would have been willing to make a reservaion at a hotel but can't because of dogs.

Ugh I'm scheduled to fly in to Orlando on Saturday. Not looking good for me.

1) We do wish you good luck.
2) I do not know the airline's guidelines for safe wind speed landing.
3) Wind Forecast
. . . Sat-am thru Sun-pm . . . winds up to 40mph
. . . Sat-pm thru Sun-pm . . . winds up to 75mph

I suspect you'll get your word in the next 24 hours. Currently the projection is for Irma to be in that area around late Sunday into early Monday so probably just a bit early yet for them to issue the evacuation of the CG.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter