Michelle & Kevin's 2015 Swan & Dolphin Vow Renewal

Graciesmom77

DIS Veteran
Hi Guys!

My name is Michelle and I will be celebrating my 15th anniversary by having a vow renewal at the Swan and Dolphin in 2015.

A Little About Me

I am a stay at home mom of 4 girls. Grace is almost 13, Emma is almost 11, Maddie just turned 5 and my baby Loralei just turned 3. I have been married to an amazing man named Kevin. He is the sweetest guy, the most amazing dad, and I am very blessed to have him in my life. With 4 girls, I don't have a ton of free time, but when I do have some time, I love to read and scrapbook and do crafts. I am obsessed with Disney, Harry Potter and Doctor Who. My upstairs hallway is decorated with all my Harry Potter stuff, The kids bathroom is Mickey and my corner of my bedroom is starting to collect all my Doctor Who stuff. I know I am a geek and love it! I am also a big fan of Sherlock, Firefly, Marvel and Torchwood. As much as I love my hubby, if John Barrowman decides that he really is straight and needs me in my life.... I will have to go. Its just the way it is! :rotfl:

Why a Vow Renewal?

DH and I have talked about a vow renewal for a few years now. We were considering having one for our 13th, but in 2011, we lost my Mom. I haven't had the heart to have one without her, but I finally feel like we could have the celebration and though she will be so missed, I think she would be happy we are doing it. We have been through a lot, we have each lost a parent, we have had a miscarriage, and DH worked on the road and would be gone for months and months at a time. He is now home and works at a job where he gets to come home every night! 15 years and 4 beautiful girls later, I am ready to commit myself to him all over again.

How we met and a little history.

My husband and I met the last day in January 2000. We met online and I had been in a long term relationship for 6 years, since I was 16. I was determined to get married and my ex wasn't and though I was heart broken, I broke up with my him, as I did every few weeks at that point in our relationship, and it was during that point I met Kevin. As soon as my ex bf found out that I was seeing someone else, he decided yes he wanted to be married and had to have me back. It was awful feeling like there was a future with Kevin, who I fell head over heels for in about 10 seconds, and feeling the guilt over leaving the only relationship I had ever been in. I was 21 at the time and should have not been in such a rush to be married, but I have always been an old soul and helped raise my 2 younger sisters. I think I felt like it was time for me to start my own family. Anyways, it was a mess for awhile but I stayed with Kevin and unbelievably, moved in together sometime in March, less than 2 months after we met. He proposed a short time later and we got married on September 16th, 7 and 1/2 months after we met! Kevin got down on one knee at a restaurant with our friends and said "Marie Michelle, will you marry me? I still said yes, even though he said my middle name first instead of Michelle Marie. To this day, I still tell him he must have wanted to marry some woman named Marie! :lmao:

The first bump in the road. Already???

I have been seriously thinking of this vow renewal for awhile now and have been making inquiries all this week about places and things like that. I had the date pretty set in my head. My girls go to a year round school. They go to school for 9 weeks and then have 3 weeks off. Our anniversary is actually in September so the closest date that my girls would be off of school would be later in October. I had it all planned (in my head anyway) then last night at about 1am, I realized that in October of 2015, my oldest Grace, will be in high school. They do not go year round, they follow a traditional calender. I freaked out!! :headache:

The best I can figure is that we will not be able to go on a cruise as a family afterwards like I had planned. We will have to leave after school on Thursday, drive and get there late at night. Have friday to hang out and do stuff, have the VR on Saturday, spend Sunday at Disney doing whatever and then drive home Monday. She will still have to miss Friday and Monday, but I think that will be ok. She is a good student. I really wanted to spend a lot more time at Disney and soooo wanted to take that cruise, but it will have to wait until another time.

The Pre plan plan!

I haven't booked anything yet but as of now, this is some of the plan I have in my head.

Venue - Swan and Dolphin Crescent Terrace

Guests - We are inviting 32 people, but in all reality, I am pretty sure we will only have 16 tops but more likely between 9-11. I know DH's mom wont come and doubt his sister and her son will come. I have invited some family friends that I have known pretty much my whole life and while it would be awesome if they could come, I am guessing finances and vacation time will play a heavy factor. I am guessing that my 2 sisters, their husbands, my nephew, my cousin and her hubby and maybe just maybe my dad.

Date - Saturday October 24

Reception - I am planning on having a dinner somewhere at a restaurant with everyone. Right now I am thinking about 1900 Park Fare or Garden Grove. We have a few very picky eaters so a plated dinner will be very difficult.

Music - I am thinking I would like to hire Christine McPhail (SP?) to play the harp at the ceremony and after while we have cake. I would like her to play Beauty and the Beast while I walk down the aisle, but is that weird? My hubby isn't a beast and I am far from a beauty. But its so pretty and romantic!

Theme - I was thinking Cinderella, but I am starting to think it may be fun to incorporate something from all the princesses. princess: Like Caramel apples for Snow White, Cinderellas Castle as a cake topper, the song from Beauty and the Beast and so on. I think it might be fun!

I just looked into renting some DVC points for the night of the VR for me and the hubby at Animal Kingdom Lodge. I have always dreamed of staying there in one of the Savannah rooms. With a family of 6, its usually to expensive to stay on property, so I didn't think I would ever get to stay there. My sis said she would take my 4 girls back to the house I am renting for all of us (my family and my 2 sisters families) and keep them for the night. I can rent a studio room at AKL for a little over 200 bucks! I am so excited. I was going to surprise my hubby with it once we are there, but as he will be happy with anywhere and anything, I may just have to tell him now!

I know we have almost a year and a half left, but I plan on starting gathering things for the welcome bags and making things. I am super good at waiting until the last minute and then running around like a nut trying to do everything. As of now I would like to make

-Save the dates
-Invitations
-Informal programs
-Carriage shaped fans for the ceremony
-Personalized welcome bags
-Water bottle labels
-Welcome packets

Things I am considering making are

-pre rsvps
-decorations for the chairs
-my bridal bouquet
-some kind of centerpiece or 2 for wherever we have dinner

Bridal Party

No one! :rotfl: I think just my hubby and I, (and the officiant of course) will be standing at the ceremony. I think I will have my oldest daughter read some kind of passage. We had a bridal party at our wedding in 2000, so this time I think I would like it to be my husband I.

Colors

I havent decided on a color. I was originally wanting pale blue and silver, but I am starting to think I may just go with "soft colors", like pale blues, pinks, greens and purples and teals. I wont have a ton of places to bring in colors, no bridesmaids dresses or bridal bouquets. I won't be having a "reception" so not a lot of places to bring in color. I am sure I will find a way to do a few things to jazz it up! :)

What can I do this far out?

Well, the biggest thing, and no pun intended, is lose weight. I don't mean like 10 or 20 pounds, I mean like 100 or more. I have gained a lot of weight since we were married and I wasn't exactly small when we got married. I know I have to lose the weight due to health reasons and I need to set an example for my 4 girls. I have tried every diet in the book in the past, but this time I just need to change my lifestyle. I fight with depression and have since I was a teenager. I hope that I can fight this depression and start getting this weight off. I guess I will use this PJ as a weight loss journal too!

Any wedding news or just complaining about diets?!? ;)

Just Marry emailed me the same info again today that they did last week saying they weren't sure I received it the first time since they didnt hear from me. I did receive it the first time, but since I can't book anything until October, I didn't think there was any reason to call them. Maybe I will call Monday just to touch base.

I received my Cricut in the mail. If you dont know what that is, its a paper crafting machine that you can hook to your computer and it will cut out and print on paper. Its so cool and sooo much cooler than my older model. I am going to use it to make the invitations and fans. I am going to have Cinderella carriage cut outs and have a popsicle stick glued in the middle and our wedding party info printed on it. I am going to wrap the stick in ribbon and have some kind of charm on it. I am going to try it with a charm because I think it will look cute, but if it gets annoying when you fan yourself with the fan, the I wont add it.

New (ish) Theme
I think we are going to have the theme of "Our Favorite Disney Movies". Tiny touches to represent all the Disney movies we love, Like my hubby's fav is The Incredibles, so I found him some Incredibles cufflinks. I found Some pretty earrings that have little sand dollars at the top and I could wear those to represent Little Mermaid. I know some people might think its cheesy, but I think it will be fun.

As soon as I remember how to post pics, I will start posting some pics of things i am looking at. It's so fun to plan!

Congrats on your Vow Renewal! Your plans so far look like a lot of fun, and I'm enjoying reading along.

If you don't mind my asking, what is Just Marry?

Good luck on your weight loss! I know what a struggle that can be, and I think using your PJ as a weight loss journal too is an awesome idea!

Congrats on your Vow Renewal! Your plans so far look like a lot of fun, and I'm enjoying reading along.

If you don't mind my asking, what is Just Marry?

Good luck on your weight loss! I know what a struggle that can be, and I think using your PJ as a weight loss journal too is an awesome idea!

Thanks for reading!

Just Marry is the company that you go through to rent the space at Swan and Dolphin. They give you a wedding planner to help you plan all your stuff and to coordinate all your vendors. I have heard really great things and some not so great things, so hopefully things will be ok with them.

My sister is getting married in September and I am her Matron of Honor. I live in NC and she lives in OH so planning hasn't been that easy. I am planning her bridal shower for July 19th and will be heading up to Ohio for the weekend then, maybe even child free! Anyone have any great suggestions for her Bridal shower?

Not much on the Vow renewal front, but I thought I would check in.

I've been trying to get a wedding budget together. I am thinking I would like to stay around $5000.00 for the renewal. I plan on doing a lot myself so hopefully that is an attainable goal.

A family friend said that she would be there at the renewal and seemed shocked I thought she might not. She is like a 2nd mother to me so it will be very nice to have her there.

In weight loss news, I am down 4.8 so far. I will try and post my weight loss weekly on here.

Hello!
Amazing background story!

I'm planning to have my wedding on October 21st,2015, at S&D too! So far your VR and my wedding seem to be very similar. I'd also like to have a reception at a nice restaurant and DIY decorations, save the dates/pre rsvps and invitations!

Not only that but my sister is also getting married this year and I am currently planning her shower! We are doing a tea party theme.

It's good to see your weightloss is coming along. I also intend on losing some weight for the wedding. So we can motivate one another!

I'm excited to read more.
Maj x

Hey Michelle!

Congratulations on your vow renewal! I also met my husband online. I used to think it was so odd but we are meant for each other. I guess it was just a matter of time before we met.

I am also planning a Swan and Dolphin VR. I'm excited to read your PJ. I love your ideas and can't wait to see everything unfold. I'm so glad you are planning early too! You make me feel so normal about starting to plan our VR.

Congratulations on your weight loss! That is incredible. I just had a baby so I am working on losing weight too. I'm just counting calories and doing light work outs.

Eager to see all the lovely items you will be creating!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter