Midwest to ground all MD80's by the fall [MERGED]

Yikes! I can't imagine that they can make it on a fleet just half the size as before. I'm hoping they keep the major cities like Orlando and get rid of smaller cities that they serve.

I don't think the airlines consider Orlando a major city. There's alot of tourist traffic but they don't make a lot of money on tourist traffic. It's #85 for population on the list I found, so they don't get alot of local traffic compared to others.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_cities_by_population

I don't think the airlines consider Orlando a major city. There's alot of tourist traffic but they don't make a lot of money on tourist traffic. It's #85 for population on the list I found, so they don't get alot of local traffic compared to others.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_cities_by_population

I meant more of a major city for air traffic and Orlando is certainly that for air traffic from Milwaukee. Midwest probably has more flights to and from Orlando than any other city (I didn't check that though) in their schedule.

Orlando is a major city, but generally not a good place for airlines to service because there is already way too much competition there. Some airlines may eliminate or significantly curtail service to/from Orlando, solely because there is a big problem flying profitable flights to/from there.

The Boeing 717 is a twin-engine, single-aisle jet airliner, developed for the 100-seat market. The airliner was designed and marketed by McDonnell Douglas as the MD-95, a third-generation derivative of the DC-9.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=766272

I really fear for my 3 trips to Florida where I have already purchased tickets from Midwest for a total of 9 round trip tickets. If in Chapter 11, I am hoping to not lose what I have paid for those 9 tickets AND still have to find flights to Orlando!

Midwest Airlines plans to cut its fleet by nearly half, lay off hundreds of employees and negotiate pay cuts of up to 65% from union pilots and flight attendants to avoid a Chapter 11 bankruptcy filing, union officials said Wednesday.

Those moves, including service reductions from Milwaukee's Mitchell International Airport, are in the works as Midwest executives work to create a restructuring plan within 30 days - racing to get a plan created before the airline runs short of cash.

Midwest, like other airlines, has seen profits disappear as fuel costs have nearly doubled over the past year.

In a memo to employees, Midwest Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Timothy Hoeksema said investment group TPG Capital, the airline's majority owner, has agreed to provide additional financing, but TPG partners "need to see a workable plan so their investment makes sense." He said the restructuring plan, which would seek concessions from jet leasing companies and other Midwest vendors, would provide "a low cost structure to compete in this new energy economy."

Midwest announced last week that the plan includes phasing out a dozen MD-80 jets used for charter service as well as regular passenger service to leisure destinations and West Coast cities. That would leave Midwest with 25 Boeing 717 jets, which are more fuel-efficient than the MD-80 jets.

But Jay Schnedorf, head of the Midwest pilots union, said Wednesday that he has received accounts from employee meetings that Midwest executives say the company also plans to phase out five of its Boeing 717s.

Combined with the elimination of the MD-80 jets, those additional aircraft cuts would reduce the airline's fleet by about half.

Individual pilots have been told by some managers that the restructuring would leave Midwest with about 200 pilots, Schnedorf said. Midwest now has 400 pilots, although that number will be down to around 365 by July because of a previously announced reduction.

Midwest also intends to cut about half of its 400 union flight attendants, said Dory Klein, head of the Midwest chapter of the Association of Flight Attendants.

Union balks at cuts
Through an initial presentation to the pilots union, Midwest management is seeking pay cuts ranging from 45% to 65%, Schnedorf said. Those cuts are not acceptable, he said, and the union continues to seek additional financial data from management in order to respond.

The company is seeking pay cuts of 34% to 56% for the union flight attendants, Klein said.

The fleet reduction also would bring job cuts for other employees, including ground crew members and mechanics, said Vaughn Cordle, who operates Airline Forecasts LLC, an Arlington, Va.-based consulting firm. About 1,100 jobs could be eliminated, he said, basing his estimate on how many employees Midwest has per aircraft.

Midwest spokesman Michael Brophy said the airline continues to have discussions with the union leaders but will not comment publicly on those talks. He said it was too early to discuss estimated job cuts, and no final decisions have been made on aircraft reductions.

"We have been transparent in communicating to our employees that there are sure to be reductions in work force and benefits through most parts of the organization, but that they will be fair and equitable," Brophy said in a statement.

"Obviously, Chapter 11 is not our most desirable destination," Brophy said. "That's why we're working on this restructuring plan, so we can avoid that scenario."

Midwest Air Group Inc., the parent of Midwest Airlines, has 3,065 employees, Brophy said. The company cut 380 jobs this spring when it hired Utah-based SkyWest Airlines Inc. to handle all Midwest Connect regional carrier flights, a move designed to save money.

TPG holds a 53% stake in Midwest, and Northwest Airlines Corp. owns 47%. In a Chapter 11 bankruptcy, Midwest would reorganize its finances under court supervision.

Downgrading jobs
The company's presentation to the pilots calls for sharply reduced wage rates, as well as several position downgrades from captains to first officers, Schnedorf said. In one scenario, a pilot now classified as a junior captain, downgraded to first officer and combined with the pay cut, would see his annual salary drop from around $120,000 to around $31,000 to $35,000, he said.

"It's a catastrophic impact on the families," Schnedorf said.

For the flight attendants, the proposed pay cuts would be "devastating," Klein said. She said the flight attendants have been working under concessions granted in 2003, when Midwest last faced a possible Chapter 11 filing. Klein said the starting pay for Midwest flight attendants is just a bit above minimum wage, which is $6.50 an hour in Wisconsin.

"We've sacrificed so much," Klein said. "We really don't have much more to give."

Klein also said Midwest management was responsible for much of the company's financial trouble. She said the MD-80s should have been replaced by more fuel-efficient jets long ago.

Union leaders want to meet with executives from TPG and Northwest, but so far those requests have gone unfulfilled, Schnedorf said. He said the pay cuts initially presented by the company could result in some pilots simply quitting their jobs.

Along with the job cuts, Midwest, like other airlines, will be making service reductions this fall in an attempt to conserve cash and climb back into the black. The company has not yet announced its autumn schedule.

Opening for AirTran?
The pending route cuts, especially to West Coast destinations, could open the door for AirTran Airways to add more departures at Mitchell, said Michael Boyd, president of Boyd Aviation Group Inc. of Evergreen, Colo.

AirTran's corporate parent, AirTran Holdings Inc., attempted a hostile takeover of Midwest last year but was outbid by TPG/Northwest. AirTran had vowed to greatly increase departures from Milwaukee it if succeeded in buying Midwest. But AirTran, like other major airlines, lately has been announcing service reductions to cope with skyrocketing fuel prices.

Another possible outcome: the eventual folding of the downsized Midwest operations into a merged Delta-Northwest, according to Cordle, of Airline Forecasts.

"It appears to me that the Midwest fleet is no longer needed," Cordle said.

Delta Air Lines Inc. is buying Northwest and would acquire its 47% stake in Midwest if that merger is completed.

Delta executives have said their plan is to have Midwest continue to operate as a stand-alone airline. But Cordle, whose firm crunches airline financial performance numbers, believes Delta management wants to reduce the variety of aircraft types it will carry once the purchase of Northwest is completed.

With Midwest operating just 20 or so Boeing 717 jets - which are no longer made - eliminating that fleet makes sense, Cordle said.

Delta's outlook
There are no changes in Delta's plans regarding Midwest, Delta spokeswoman Susan Elliott said. In April, Delta Chief Executive Officer Richard Anderson said it was in Delta's interest for Midwest to maintain its independent status, and Anderson pledged not to interfere with Midwest's operations.

A TPG spokeswoman said the firm's partners had no comment on Midwest's restructuring plan and the future of the airline.

Midwest executives believe the restructuring plan would position the company for growth and profitability, even with oil prices at around $135 a barrel.

Despite the pending route cuts, Midwest Airlines and Midwest Connect "will continue to operate in partnership to offer quality service to business destinations," Hoeksema's memo said.

Notice the last line about how they will continue to offer quality service to BUSINESS destinations? I doubt that means Florida!

I really fear for my 3 trips to Florida where I have already purchased tickets from Midwest for a total of 9 round trip tickets. If in Chapter 11, I am hoping to not lose what I have paid for those 9 tickets AND still have to find flights to Orlando!

Here's what JS Online says about already purchased tickets for flights that change after restructuring:
=====
Are Tickets Still Good?
Midwest Airlines passengers who have bought tickets for trips that later change as a result of the company's restructuring plan have several options, said spokesman Michael Brophy. If there's a schedule or aircraft change, passengers can take the trip if it still fits their plans. If a destination or route is eliminated, airlines have pricing agreements with each other that enable them to rebook passengers on flights to the same destination with certain fare classes. If neither of those options works, passengers can request refunds. Midwest plans changes to its fall schedule, but those are still pending.
==========
So, assuming they get a restructuring plan in place before they run out of cash, we should be able to take a change in flight time (if they still fly to MCO), or hopefully be rebooked on another airline (probably with a connection, but without having to buy a new ticket at a higher fare).
We also have tickets for 2 upcoming trips, a total of 8 tickets. I actually feel a little better after reading that they might be able to move us to other airlines instead of strictly canceling the tickets and leaving us to rebook at new, higher fares.
Of course, there is still a chance that they will keep a leisure destination or two, but I have a feeling they will be refocusing on the more profitable business destinations like Phil, NYC, etc.

I no longer trust Midwest farther than I can throw a 717 aircraft.

I just rebooked 5 tickets for our December trip as that is the one where we are taking my mom and a niece and nephew. I have too much sunk in already for other tickets like MMVCP, Discovery Cove, etc. to have that trip screwed up. I booked us on Air Tran through Orbitz which was actually cheaper than the same flights booked directly through AirTran (have never seen that before.) $1,164 for the 5 of us.

It is a direct flight there but a one stop in Atlanta on the way home. I can live with that. It also means we are allowed only one suitcase each and I can live with that, too. I will also be able to sleep tonight knowing I have seats on a plane to get me to Orlando and back for the December trip. Assuming, of course, that Air Tran doesn't cancel the new flights. Nothing is guaranteed in air travel at the moment.

When Midwest changes my current flights I will request a refund. 2 of the 5 tickets were booked as companion tickets so they were essentially free with Midwest. I'm hoping to get those miles redeposited although I don't know when I'd ever use them in the future, if they still have any value or not at this point. We generally flew Midwest to Orlando and back several times a year. Maybe we can have them converted to Northwest miles, the other airline we use quite a bit. I'm not sure.

Those are HUGE paycuts. This is not going to be pretty.

I have not followed Midwest, but things look very shaky!

I'm keeping my fingers & toes crossed. We have 5 tickets booked for this September. The times are perfect too. Fly out of MKE @ 7:55am and leave MCO @ 7:00pm. I've searched other airlines and no one has anything close to these times or direct flights. I sure hope they don't cancel. If we had to stop in Kan City I could live with that.
I just wish they would make up thier minds and tell the people that have tickets so we could make changes. :(

LeeAnn

The company's presentation to the pilots calls for sharply reduced wage rates, as well as several position downgrades from captains to first officers, Schnedorf said. In one scenario, a pilot now classified as a junior captain, downgraded to first officer and combined with the pay cut, would see his annual salary drop from around $120,000 to around $31,000 to $35,000, he said.

"It's a catastrophic impact on the families," Schnedorf said.

For the flight attendants, the proposed pay cuts would be "devastating," Klein said. She said the flight attendants have been working under concessions granted in 2003, when Midwest last faced a possible Chapter 11 filing. Klein said the starting pay for Midwest flight attendants is just a bit above minimum wage, which is $6.50 an hour in Wisconsin.
I just felt the need to highlight that from the article posted above. A few months ago I started a thread telling those working in the airline industry that I felt really badly for them with all of the uncertainty of their jobs and upset passengers.

I know that the OP has handled this as best as possible, and I continue to encourage posters not to take out their frustration on the front line staff. They are suffering too.... :worried:

I feel for anyone in the airline industry. It's a tough place to be right now and it's going to get worse before it gets better.

Just remember, that Chapter 11 bankruptcy means that the airline is still flying. Lots of the "majors" have been through Chapter 11 over the past few decades, and most are still flying. More importantly, people tickets prior to these airlines' Chapter 11 filings were still accommodated and flown to their ticketed destinations. Note that Frontier Airlines is currently operating in Chapter 11 bankruptcies. The people who lose money with a chapter 11 filing are the creditors, usually not the ticketholders.

The kind of bankruptcy you need to worry about is Chapter 7, where an airline ceases operations (e.g. Skybus, ATA and Aloha so far this year, and I'd be watching Spirit and Allegiant). In these cases ticketholders were out of luck. At present, there does not appear to be a significant risk of Midwest going Chapter 7 and ceasing operations altogether.

Good luck all!

I no longer trust Midwest farther than I can throw a 717 aircraft.

I just rebooked 5 tickets for our December trip as that is the one where we are taking my mom and a niece and nephew. I have too much sunk in already for other tickets like MMVCP, Discovery Cove, etc. to have that trip screwed up.

Nothing is guaranteed in air travel at the moment.

When Midwest changes my current flights I will request a refund.

I ended up doing basicly the same thing. I have too much invested in our trip coming up, and couldn't take the uncertainty of Midwest. I booked a flight with AA in Chicago. It will require us to drive down there, but that's OK, it gets us into Orlando 5 hours earlier than we would have otherwise!:banana: I just hope AA is a safe bet.:confused3 Like Inkmahm said, nothing in the airline industry is safe right now.

I hope to be able to request a refund.

And I am glad I already rebooked with anothe airline, because I think that alot of people will be looking for flights on other airlines and we got in on a decent price. (the night after I booked the flight already went up $50 per ticket.). As others try and rebook, the rates are going to only go up and up.

Good luck everyone!

We will be heading down November 14th - 19th, flying from Green Bay to Milwaukee then on to Orlando, so I will be watching this. Thanks to all who have posted - here's hoping that they will be able to resolve this in the least "painful" way possible to all involved.
I'm going down Nov. 7 from Milwaukee to Orlando and flying home Fort Lauderdale to Milwaukee Nov. 17. I received an e-mail that there was a change. The only thing I could see was the airplane change from a M80 to M717. We want to get tickets for our dd, she will be attending UW-Green Bay, and I thought it would be better for her to get on at Green Bay, than to drive all the way home. But, now I am waiting.

Instead of a refund do you think they would allow you to switch days without incurring the $100 ticket change fee?

I'm just curious and trying to run the different scenarios through.
We changed days, because of a conflict work schedule. They charged me $100 a ticket. It really sucked.

Yikes! I can't imagine that they can make it on a fleet just half the size as before. I'm hoping they keep the major cities like Orlando and get rid of smaller cities that they serve.
Midwest has cut flights from Milwaukee to Escanaba, Marquette Michigan.

I'm keeping my fingers & toes crossed. We have 5 tickets booked for this September. The times are perfect too. Fly out of MKE @ 7:55am and leave MCO @ 7:00pm. I've searched other airlines and no one has anything close to these times or direct flights. I sure hope they don't cancel. If we had to stop in Kan City I could live with that.
I just wish they would make up thier minds and tell the people that have tickets so we could make changes. :(

LeeAnn
I would check that 7:00 p.m. flight. I received an e-mail for our sons flight. They were flying from Milwaukee to Orlando Nov. 13 and their 6:30 p.m. flight was cancelled. The e-mail didn't say anything, but a week later, I noticed on Midwest's webpage, their flight was cancelled. I called and rebooked them to a 11:50 a.m. flight the same day. The flight attendant had no clue that 6:30 p.m. flights were all cancelled.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed. :)

So far, our late Sept trip from MKE to MCO has no changes ~ none that I've been notified about, anyway.

I realize that could all change on a daily basis ~ luckily, our schedule is flexible enough that we could go a day earlier or stay a day longer. ;) Hopefully, we'll be able to keep the room an extra night at Disney!! :goodvibes

Until I hear something, I'm trying hard not to worry about it. :goodvibes

LeeAnn

They are grounding all of the MD-80s which means the planes that they use for Orlando. Assume your flights are gone, not that they will just be moved to something that isn't a direct flight.

I think the article in today's paper referring to continuing service to BUSINESS locations has the writing on the wall as being very clear.

The best you can hope for is rebooking on another airline by Midwest, I think. I will test that with Midwest for my October trip that is just me and my DH, but was not willing at all to let control of my family December vacation in the hands of Midwest. I'm waiting on my tickets that I have booked for next March to see what Midwest does for those, too.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed. :)

So far, our late Sept trip from MKE to MCO has no changes ~ none that I've been notified about, anyway.

I realize that could all change on a daily basis ~ luckily, our schedule is flexible enough that we could go a day earlier or stay a day longer. ;) Hopefully, we'll be able to keep the room an extra night at Disney!! :goodvibes

Until I hear something, I'm trying hard not to worry about it. :goodvibes

Again, they have announced that they are grounding all MD-80s. Those are the planes that fly to Orlando from MKE. The writing is clearly on the wall.

Just remember, that Chapter 11 bankruptcy means that the airline is still flying. Lots of the "majors" have been through Chapter 11 over the past few decades, and most are still flying. More importantly, people tickets prior to these airlines' Chapter 11 filings were still accommodated and flown to their ticketed destinations. Note that Frontier Airlines is currently operating in Chapter 11 bankruptcies. The people who lose money with a chapter 11 filing are the creditors, usually not the ticketholders.

The kind of bankruptcy you need to worry about is Chapter 7, where an airline ceases operations (e.g. Skybus, ATA and Aloha so far this year, and I'd be watching Spirit and Allegiant). In these cases ticketholders were out of luck. At present, there does not appear to be a significant risk of Midwest going Chapter 7 and ceasing operations altogether.

Good luck all!
Thanks. The problem though is that they are only going to be flying a total of 20 planes on business routes. Those aren't the routes I use Midwest to fly, I use them mostly to go to Orlando. Their MD-80s used for Orlando are being grounded. I'd be very happy to get my money back at this point.

I'm going down Nov. 7 from Milwaukee to Orlando and flying home Fort Lauderdale to Milwaukee Nov. 17. I received an e-mail that there was a change. The only thing I could see was the airplane change from a M80 to M717. We want to get tickets for our dd, she will be attending UW-Green Bay, and I thought it would be better for her to get on at Green Bay, than to drive all the way home. But, now I am waiting.

which flight was changed to an 717 plane? Milwaukee to Orlando? Time? That would be encouraging, could mean that they plan to keep at least one 717 going back and forth between Milwaukee and Orlando. The only scheduled 717 that I can find is the one flight a day that goes through Kansas City from Milwaukee to Orlando and vice versa. I can't find any previously scheduled MD-80s that are now 717s.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter