Military Community Thread

Tina, you about made me cry, I still might. Everytime the news shows troops coming home and them being released and I see all of their families rushing over I start crying.

We don't get that here. It will more than likely just be hubby by himself. And he doesn't want any hoopla. When he came home on leave the Col. came to greet him. It was actully a little sad because the Col. and I got to talking and didn't even realize my hubby had come through the door. Such a bad wife. I am sure it will be different this time with him coming home to stay. Thought about flying to Dallas to greet him but then we would have almost a four hour drive home and I know he will want to get home, shower, and go have some Tex-Mex.

So my DH and I aren't the only ones that end up fighting before he leaves. The stress is just horrible and you are all so right. Just get it over with.

I attended my 20th class reunion last night and one of my classmates' husband has been deployed FIVE times. Can't imagine.

Tina, you are so right! The anticipation is the worst. Just get it started so it can finish!! And I think the Army has it bad on that too. I never have understood the fact that they have to "deploy" stateside for training before the overseas deployment, and that the stateside training does not count towards the actual deployment time. So in reality, a 12-month deployment is really 15 to 18 months away from home and family. At least in the AF, all the training is at home station, so when they deploy for 6 months, it's only 6 months away from family.
Honestly, I'm not real sure about why the have to train elsewhere before deploying other than there are specific areas that are set up for "war." My husband was at Polk for the month of May. He hadn't been in years(normally already gone) but he said that it really did look like an Iraqi village and now it's very important that you get the new people ready to be on their toes at all times. Before JRTC they were complaining about all the training and having to wear their battle rattle 24/7 but after a few "bombings" while they slept and ate, they get the message.

My husband also spent time at NTC in CA earlier this year to see how some new generators, computer equipment, and new weapons would handle out in the sand storms. He said they used something to make actual sandstorms to see if weapons would lock up and their stuff shut down. It would be awful hard to make a sand storm in KY.

Now he is at Ft. Gordon,GA signal capitol of the army to learn about the 5 million dollars of equipment that he apparently signed for in his platoon. I was like you signed for all the stuff and no one knows how to use it?? They have an "idea" but decided my husband should go learn the ins and outs and then meet up in Iraq. It's sort of isn't fair but the people in our company/BN believe that because we don't have children my husband would be fine being on the go all the time.

Tina, you about made me cry, I still might. Everytime the news shows troops coming home and them being released and I see all of their families rushing over I start crying.

We don't get that here. It will more than likely just be hubby by himself. QUOTE]

That is the way it is for me here. My DH is IA and all that means to his unit is that they are short one man. They were really pissy to him when he left and one remarked for him to "have a nice vacation". That is when he lost it. Vacation my *&%%^!:mad: It will be just him when he gets back and he spoke to his reporting support command and they are going to give him leave from there instead of requesting leave from his unit as we knew they would deny it or try to cut it short since they feel my husband is just trying to get out of working by volunteering to go (someone from their unit had to go and as noone else spoke up, he did,). :headache:

I also don't get a whole lot of support from his unit either because of it as well. I understand that it is hard to be supportive to someone when you are not going through it. I heard that the Navy is redoing IA to be an overseas tour instead of a "deployment". They finally figured out it is hard on the units and on the families to just grab someone and go.

The goods news is he has agreed to celebrate our deployment vacation with a Disney Mexican Riviera Cruise and 2 days at Disneyland. We are SO excited. I have never been to the West Coast so this should be fun! :upsidedow

That is the way it is for me here. My DH is IA and all that means to his unit is that they are short one man. They were really pissy to him when he left and one remarked for him to "have a nice vacation". That is when he lost it. Vacation my *&%%^!:mad: It will be just him when he gets back and he spoke to his reporting support command and they are going to give him leave from there instead of requesting leave from his unit as we knew they would deny it or try to cut it short since they feel my husband is just trying to get out of working by volunteering to go (someone from their unit had to go and as noone else spoke up, he did,). :headache:

Not to get OT, but what is "IA"?

ITA about the anticipation being the worst. We knew DH was deploying for about a year before it happened and my kids and I were so stressed. As soon as DH got block leave we HAD to take a vacation, just to get away from the military for a little while. When we returned DH left about 3 days later (he was prepared) and my childrens' behavior improved dramatically. I just wanted him to hurry up and leave so he could hurry up and come back. Now of course time is DRAGGING by at a snail's pace.

IA is Indivudual Augmentee. The Navy (and others maybe) often doesn't need to send whole units but does need people in bits and pieces in different places. They (voluntarily or involuntarily) give orders to individual sailors for different places around the world. The problem comes due to the fact that it often leaves units short-handed which in turn leads to ill feelings toward the person leaving and for the families as they have a tendency to get overlooked since there is no unit support system for the individual. There isn't an entire group of women with deployed spouses having a similar experience to be able to relate with. In other words, you get forgotten. I have heard some awesome stories of great units really caring for families of deployed sailors in this program but it hasn't happened to me. If it goes through and they change IA to a sea tour it would be just like in the Army when you are sent to Korea for a year. This way there isn't the hard feelings at the unit, the position is covered, and the families have a few more options.

Yup, IA is individual augmentee. DH missed being one last year by a hair. Seriously, they (his command of about 10 guys) got contacted and had to come up with a name by the end of the day. 1 year working at prison in Iraq, no one wanted that job!! (this was when the prison scandal was in full force)I think they gave it to an incoming guy, which sucked to be him!

We have 4 weeks until the deployment, and he's gone this week (training) and gone a week in July, so really we don't have much time at all. :( I just want to get it done with! He was home 5 days the whole month of June, so we haven't seen him hardly at all. Yesterday we picked him up from the ship at noon and dropped him at the airport at 8pm, my kids were nearly hysterical, they were so upset by him coming home and leaving the same day. These are the days when I don't love the military, though I wouldn't have it any other way. I'm definately a proud military wife! We are a special breed, that's for sure! ;)

How would the IA thing being called a sea tour change things? Where we are here is a big rotation to Iraq(or used to be) and I know that families totally get left in the cold when their loved one goes to Korea for a year or two. Do sea tour people get better assitance or more pay or something else? The Navy is one area that I'm just not that familiar with. I didn't even realize they get picked up for that sort of duty. Do navy people train for that sort of thing?

The Navy do get picked up for different types of jobs that aren't necessarily sea-related (think admin). It makes it easier as far as tours that you don't have the hostility from the unit about being short-handed and more chance for notice (alot of these come with very little notice). They are expecting units to work one, two, or even more people down with no replacements for up to two years. If the unit is unstable to begin with it doesn't breed very good sentiment. Without going into too much detail, they are sent to training for a certain amount of time prior to being sent over. The system itself is very smooth and so far we have not had very many problems. Great! Now I've jinxed myself! :rotfl:

It is really nice to have somewhere to talk about all this. I am glad this thread was started. :)

I am enjoying reading about the other branches. It is amazing to me, that even though we are in different branches of service, we still have so much in common. It is nice to know there are people I can turn to who are going through what I am. Civilians just don't understand it. They try, bless their hearts, but they still don't get it completely.It's been a few days since I have talked to my hubby. Last time we spoke, he told me someone on their little FOB was killed. He did not go into details, but it's still scary.
I hope you ladies had a wonderful weekend. My Mom took my son and I up to Tucson to do some "Tia stuff." It was great. Just what I needed. :)

My Husband is a nuclear officer now on shore duty working with Navy Space. They get request for certain officers in different fields (unrestricted line, mainly) for IAs that are anywhere from 6-11 months. They are considered tdy orders and you remain attached to your orginial command.
His orders are for a EWO officer. (I believe that is right. Even after 19 years the acronyms still get me!) Now, what a nuclear trained Navy guy knows about IEDs would not even fill up a seabag!!
Basically he gets a week of training on a new system for remote detonating of IEDs and then will go and train Army troops on the new system. He has several friends that have done this and will be relieving a very good friend at the command he is going to now. From my understanding the Army is getting ready to take over that postion and he will be one of the last Navy guys to do it.
The Navy is so different from any of the other forces that it has been a crash course in learning how the Army does things. He is sad to leave us but is excited for a new challenge. As much as they love to go on shore duty, I think they all get bored very easliy with their jobs. I don't know how he will handle retirement!!
I really feel for those who don't get the support they need at home. It is easier when a whole ship is underway than just your husband. Though even then support can be hit or miss!!

I can tell you how the army does things:

1. Make an SOP

2. Make any needed changes to SOP

3. Distribute SOP

4. Read SOP and realize it's all chopped up and ineffective

5. Tell all to throw out SOP

6. Make it up SOP as you go along

welcome to the army;)

1. Make an SOP

3. Distribute SOP

welcome to the army;)

:lmao: :lmao:
Now you did it! The other services know our dirty secret!

Thank you Sailorwife! You explained it much better than I did. I am considered somewhat of a talker and will tell anyone anything if I have a good conversation going. Because of this I was given a strict talking to about OPSEC and the internet that included given stern warnings regarding my "loose lips". Beacuse of this I am so hesitant about putting things out there that when I try to explain something I just end up talking in a circle. :rolleyes: Thanks Again!

Also, about the SOP - ya'll are some crazy gals! :rotfl:

I am enjoying reading about the other branches. It is amazing to me, that even though we are in different branches of service, we still have so much in common. It is nice to know there are people I can turn to who are going through what I am. Civilians just don't understand it. They try, bless their hearts, but they still don't get it completely. It's been a few days since I have talked to my hubby. Last time we spoke, he told me someone on their little FOB was killed. He did not go into details, but it's still scary.
I hope you ladies had a wonderful weekend. My Mom took my son and I up to Tucson to do some "Tia stuff." It was great. Just what I needed. :)

Truer words have neve been spoken. My civilian friends (and parents!) just don't understand why we would be willing to take an assignment where DH travels 10-15 days a month. My response is "at least he doesn't have to deploy." (fortunately, he is currently in a non-deployable position).

My heart and prayers go out to the family of the person killed on you hubby's FOB. :hug:

1. Make an SOP

3. Distribute SOP

welcome to the army;)

And the AF. We just call it OPlan (Operations Plan)!

:lmao: :lmao:
Now you did it! The other services know our dirty secret!

The other services have their own dirty secrets! :smooth: :rotfl:

As to the IA discussion, we call them IMAs or Individual Mobilization Augmentees in the AF and IMAs are strictly reservists. I actually am an IMA, but a very special category. Normal IMAs (not me) are assigned to a position filled by an active duty member, and will do their IDTs (Inactive Days of Training or "1 weekend a month" just not on the weekend) and the AT (Annual Training or "2 weeks a year") side by side with the active duty person assigned to the position. If that active duty member deploys, the IMA then goes to the base to backfill the active duty person. IMAs can also volunteer to deploy if they choose.

Well, we are now looking at one more assignment on the horizon. Lots of planets must align and dominoes to fall, but we are likely 12-24 months out from our final assignment in the AF.

It sounds as if the AF way of doing IA makes more sense. (My husband would kill me if he heard me say that!:lmao: ) That way you are not left with a gaping hole if an individual deploys. I think that was a very smart idea! It isn't always a problem but if you are in a small unit to begin with, every man counts.

Off on a tangent, I was floored today by my DH. He is in California right now for his training prior to deployment and yesterday he went to the Disneyland area to scout out hotels for our upcoming trip . On his own he stopped at Downtown Disney and bought a Disneyland outfit for the Build-a-Bear he gave to my son before he left. He is going to ship it for my son to open before our trip to Disney World (see my ticker-we leave in a month. WooHoo!:banana: :banana: :banana: ) I couldn't believe it. He is a wonderful man but thoughfulness isn't one of his strong suits. He didn't even really want to give him the bear in the first place (too girly) but I made him so my son could hear his voice. Isn't that funny? The outfit has a set of ears and everything. I guess you never really know what your spouse is capable of, huh?:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

The AF way does make alot of sense. The Navy does something similar but it varies by command. I completely understand the loose lips thing! Being on surface ships it is not as bad, but I have a friend whose DH is on subs and their schedules are majorly top secret. She and I have a code that we use so I know what is going on with her!

BTW, in the Navy they are also called SOP and the same thing happens!

Off on a tangent, I was floored today by my DH. He is in California right now for his training prior to deployment and yesterday he went to the Disneyland area to scout out hotels for our upcoming trip . On his own he stopped at Downtown Disney and bought a Disneyland outfit for the Build-a-Bear he gave to my son before he left.

If you are going to Disneyland, I highly recommend the Embassy Suites South! It is about 1 mile south of the gate, and you will probably want to use ART (Anahiem Resort Transit) or drive rather than walk. ART is cheaper than parking, and they have a pick up location right in fromnt of the hotel. We stayed there in Dec for 5 nights so DD1 (left in my sig picture) could dance in a parade down Main Street USA and celebrate her 8th b-day at DL in Dec! We loved the hotel, and made to order breakfast is in the cost of the room.

And completely awesome about the gift for your DS.

Truer words have neve been spoken. My civilian friends (and parents!) just don't understand why we would be willing to take an assignment where DH travels 10-15 days a month. My response is "at least he doesn't have to deploy." (fortunately, he is currently in a non-deployable position).
My heart and prayers go out to the family of the person killed on you hubby's FOB. :hug:
And the AF. We just call it OPlan (Operations Plan)!
There are a lot fo things they don't understand. Then again, there are many things about civilian life I don't get! :laughing:
It sounds as if the AF way of doing IA makes more sense. (My husband would kill me if he heard me say that!:lmao: ) That way you are not left with a gaping hole if an individual deploys. I think that was a very smart idea! It isn't always a problem but if you are in a small unit to begin with, every man counts.

Off on a tangent, I was floored today by my DH. He is in California right now for his training prior to deployment and yesterday he went to the Disneyland area to scout out hotels for our upcoming trip . On his own he stopped at Downtown Disney and bought a Disneyland outfit for the Build-a-Bear he gave to my son before he left. He is going to ship it for my son to open before our trip to Disney World (see my ticker-we leave in a month. WooHoo!:banana: :banana: :banana: ) I couldn't believe it. He is a wonderful man but thoughfulness isn't one of his strong suits. He didn't even really want to give him the bear in the first place (too girly) but I made him so my son could hear his voice. Isn't that funny? The outfit has a set of ears and everything. I guess you never really know what your spouse is capable of, huh?:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Awwww, that is so sweet. We did the Build A Bear the night before hubby left left. Put his voice on the recorder and everything. We dressed him up in BDUs and Ry named him Sarge. ;) Isn't it amazing what men are capable of when they really want to be sweet? :laughing:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter