"Millionaire" closing on 8/19

crazy4wdw

Moderator - Restaurant Board
It is being reported that the "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" attraction at Disney/MGM Stuidos is closing on 8/19.

Anyone have any details?

It has been rumored but this is the first date that I seen.

We will be there then and will have to check it out the first week of our stay if it does close on the 19th.

It is true.... Midway Mania will be making its way into this sound stage... Of course it won't be called Midway Mania..

Tink's Tormentor said:
It is true.... Midway Mania will be making its way into this sound stage... Of course it won't be called Midway Mania..

But this is still at the rumor stage, right?

Darn! I'm going to WDW in September, and I was looking forward to going to several shows of WWTBAMPI. So does anyone know what, if anything, will be there by mid-September?

If they close it on 8/19 I doubt anything would be there by September. I would imagine they would have a new attraction up and running by Spring 2007.

Good riddance {IMHO} to millionaire. Don't like the TV show, don't like the attraction. But that's just me......... :teeth:

mitros said:
Good riddance {IMHO} to millionaire. Don't like the TV show, don't like the attraction. But that's just me......... :teeth:

second the motion.

...me neither, but thats only because while I got in the audience during walk-in and win (for the real TV show), I didn't get to the hot seat.

Actually, I like the "Play It" version better than the TV show...no commercials ;) We always see the show once or twice during our visits. Since the show is relatively inexpensive to run, and seems to still be somewhat popular (at last it was over Star Wars weekends), I wonder why they'd be removing it, now that the parks seem generally busier than the last several years.

Yeah, I am not happy. We really won't need to go to MGM ever again at this point unless they put something very cool in there. *cranky*

I for one think they could put soemthing in there a lot more interesting than "Play it". I will not miss it at all.

daber said:
No one has answered this question!

OK, that is because the info is sketchy, but recently it has become a bit more clear.

It seems this is going to be interactive, like Buzz, but not that simple by any means. It is apparently going to 3-D virtual reality based, there is a ride in Universal it is being compared to but I have not been on it. I want to say something about Spiderman, but I'm not sure. It will have a much larger ride vehicle than Buzz, with 6-10 passengers riding back to back facing a mirror image on each side of the vehicle. It will be a shooting game like Buzz, and it seems to involve Toy Story characters, but not just one theme. There has been rumblings that it may include the army guys in one seen, Woody in another scene, etc., etc.

dbm20th said:
OK, that is because the info is sketchy, but recently it has become a bit more clear.

It seems this is going to be interactive, like Buzz, but not that simple by any means. It is apparently going to 3-D virtual reality based, there is a ride in Universal it is being compared to but I have not been on it. I want to say something about Spiderman, but I'm not sure. It will have a much larger ride vehicle than Buzz, with 6-10 passengers riding back to back facing a mirror image on each side of the vehicle. It will be a shooting game like Buzz, and it seems to involve Toy Story characters, but not just one theme. There has been rumblings that it may include the army guys in one seen, Woody in another scene, etc., etc.

That souns like it could be interesting. Would it fit in the Millionaire space?

MJMcBride said:
That souns like it could be interesting. Would it fit in the Millionaire space?

Ahhh, there in lies the rub. When it was rumored to go to Al's Toy Barn, that made more sense, as there is room behind it that they can clear. With this space, it certainly seems like it would be a lot smaller than the plans that are currently floating around would lead me to believe. Time will tell

The Millionaire sound stage is huge... And this ride is going to require a huge space, eliminating Sounds Dangerous, and making it cheaper to just use an existing soudstage that would fit this new ride (Millionaire).... This would also be the cheaper option than building a new show building by Al's.. that also means more money to put into the features of the ride and experience, not the building...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter