Mission Space + claustrophobic?

gemduncan

Mouseketeer
I was talking to one of my friends tonight about Mission Space. She has been to WDW many, many times and said that Mission Space makes her feel claustrophobic. I am claustrophobic so this has me very worried now. Any advice or feedback? Btw, I plan on doing the easier version (green).

Last edited:

I have very mild claustrophobia & thought riding it was horrible. I did both colors to please my little boy, but will never ride it again (btw, one color makes you more nauseous than the other, but they're equally claustrophobic). If you have any claustrophobia at all, stay off. You'll see big warning signs for claustrophobia when you approach the capsule, and you should heed them & stay off the ride.

Keep in mind that Disney rides occasionally go down. The ride lasts about 5 minutes as it is. Imagine being trapped in there for 20+ minutes during a malfunction. It has happened.

Last edited:
I am claustrophobic and was worried too.i told the cast member and she said we will close the door and wait a second and re open the door to see if I wanted to continue.i am understanding of your fear ..i have it to.i did it and liked it but was a Lil uncomfortable

Don't do it. I had a panic attack and was banging on the door and no one heard. One of the others riding the capsule with me was able to help me breath and relax until the ride ended, but I will NEVER go on that ride again...and it was the green side.

I’d stop short of calling myself claustrophobic, but I get very freaked out in tight spaces (I almost lost my MIND in an overly crowded monorail car one time. I only do boats at park closing now.)
I survived mission space, ONLY because there is air blowing in your face the whole time, I focused on the screen and told myself the capsule could open very easily.

I've ridden green a few times and we went to do the new version in August and there was a bit of a delay after they closed the capsule doors. I never thought I had claustrophobia, but that did me in. I started breathing really hard and thought I was going to have a panic attack. I knew if they started the ride and I could focus on that I would be fine, so I thought I would count to 20 and if it didn't start I would start pounding on the door. It did start and I calmed down a little but I could not wait to get out of there. It's just not worth it. The new version isn't as good as the old version anyway, IMHO. I would skip it.

I too had a mild panic attack on that ride (green version). I became VERY claustrophobic. Luckily my parents were beside me helping to calm down and breathe in and out. That was my first time and last time ever on that ride.

That's the one ride at Disney I refuse to ride again.

Sat it out on our trip last summer.

Last Saturday I tried the orange side with dh and dd. As soon as the ride started, I knew I was in trouble. I had to use breathing techniques and I'm not usually chlostraphobic. Thank goodness for the blowing air in your face.

Nope, not again.

My husband rode it years ago, when I was pregnant and could not ride. Seeing the look on his face when he came off of the ride was enough for me. He is not claustrophobic in any way, but he said he would never get on it again. That's all I needed to hear!

I don't do tight quarters, either. I sent my husband and kids off to ride it without me. I hit up the Joffrey's coffee stand outside of MS.

MS triggered claustrophobia for me. I didn't know I had an issue til I rode it. Now I have many issues.
I agree with everyone else. Don't do it!

If you have any claustrophobia at all, stay off.

Mostly I agree (and certainly for the OP) but I wanted to add 1 caveat. I have very minor claustrophobia that is really only triggered by actually feeling that the tight space is restraining me. So I couldn’t crawl thru tight spaces in a cave and as odd as it sounds, trying on clothes that are too tight that are difficult to get off sometimes bothers me. For some reason ride restraints have never bothered me though. I’m perfectly fine on mission space because the ride restraint is normal and the space is not so close that the forward panel is touching you. But I agree that most everyone who has claustrophobia should give this ride a pass.

100% do not go on it.

I had a panic attack on there and I'm mildly claustrophobic

No way would I ever go back on.

I once saw a picture of how close you are to the screen and I started to feel anxious about it. Just the thought of how tight the space is makes my heart rate increase and my breathing shaky. This is for sure one of the rides I would say stay far away from if you are claustrophobic. The only ride I have actually had a panic attack on is Rock 'N Rollercoaster after it stopped at the end but before the unload area.

Nope- this ride triggered anxiety in me in a big way.....it closes up way too tight and I hate it.

100% do not go on it. I didn't even know that I was mildly claustrophobic until I got on this ride. I had a panic attack and was frantically banging on the door to get me out before the ride begin. How terrible in front of my child.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter