Mission Space postponement???

As far as the Columbia break up i dont think they will postpone it. As for other problems (eh hem test track) there may be some of a postponement.

Originally posted by Pete W.
What estimates have you seen? I've seen rumors (and right now everything on this subject is rumor/speculation) that the budget originally earmarked for a 5th gate had been diverted to Project Gemini and could mean as much as $300 million would be used for a major renovation/retheming of Epcot.
Not everything is rumor and speculation. It's just that very little has been released to the public, and so everything that's "public" is falling under rumor and speculation.

The key words in your post are that it "could" mean "as much as." Remember that when funds get diverted, or when one project is scrapped or put aside for another, those funds are up for grabs, and the entire amount from project A rarely makes it over to project B. Same here. Everything I've read or seen has made me think that tens of millions would be more accurate.

:earsboy:

That would be very disappointing if true. The term "Project Gemini" conjures up images of a very extensive rehab. If M:S cost $150 million, how could the entire park (or at least Future World) be re-themed for "tens of millions?" Maybe they should call it "Project Band-Aid!"

Originally posted by Pete W.
That would be very disappointing if true. The term "Project Gemini" conjures up images of a very extensive rehab. If M:S cost $150 million, how could the entire park (or at least Future World) be re-themed for "tens of millions?" Maybe they should call it "Project Band-Aid!"
Not necessarily. They're rehabbing things, not rebuilding them. Big difference. Now, they're certainly going to do more than throw on a new coat of paint, but it's not like they're gutting the park and starting from scratch. And some expenses -- like the rehab of Spaceship Earth, for example -- are not counted among those in the Project Gemini budget, so that makes a difference in the final number.

Just for comparison The Swan and Dolphin are currently undergoing a $75 Million renovation. If the two buildings are undergoing that much renovation, why would $300 million be out of line for all of Future World.

From a construction point of view, it is always cost more to rehab/renovate than to build new. Take a look at the cost breakdowns for "This Old House". I recently saw a repeat of a show from a year or so ago in which a 1-1/2 story house was stripped of paint, wood filler applied to holes, etc. and painted. The cost for re-painting this house...$57,000!

Also, the cost for building the next "country" in the World Showcase is estimated to be at least $50 million for a single pavillion. Etc., etc....

Originally posted by Minnie's Mate
Just for comparison The Swan and Dolphin are currently undergoing a $75 Million renovation. If the two buildings are undergoing that much renovation, why would $300 million be out of line for all of Future World.
I never said it was out of line. I said it was "a little high on the budget end." That was based on what I've heard, from sources I trust. As for Swan and Dolphin, they are, basically, gutting the places and starting from scratch, so I would expect that number to be that high. However, from what I understand, some things that people might think are included in Project Gemini (like the rehab of Spaceship Earth or the new China movie) are not part of the Project Gemini budget. They're separate projects. So it just depends on how large a scope you're thinking of when you think "rehab of Epcot."

If you have any questions or comments, go over the Rumors and News board for more info on this and Project Gemini and a few other things.

As for the $75 mill renovation of Swan and Dolphin, Disney dosn't *own* either or them. Also, this renovation would yeld immediat results in the form of money and is widely accepted as a good way to invest. But some people don't find the logic of $300 mill in a park that might or might not come back.

....hope a big portion of the budget goes towards renovating "Living Seas", cuz' that place desparately needs a rehab!!

(ok, now I'm off to the "Rumors..." board to check it out....;) )

But some people don't find the logic of $300 mill in a park that might or might not come back.

Where is it going?

FYI, I know Disney doesn't operate the Swan and Dolphin and aren't making the $75 million rehab. This is being done by Starwood Properties, the lessee of the properties.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter