Missouri to DLR - Take 2 - Oct 2013 - Updated: Trip Report Complete

Nice to hear that you and your family had a great time in Little Tokyo during your trip. It is so fun shopping and eating at Little Tokyo with all the Japanese Anime and food. I should remember to bring my camera out when I go to Little Tokyo when my DA and I go back to SoCal next month. My DA and I stop at Woori Market on the way home to Sacramento which is a favorite market place for us to pick up Japanese food and treats. Village Plaza is a nice place to go around for different stores and restaurants. I like Japanese Anime (YU-GI-OH! Trading Card Game & Gundam) which are very popular Anime shows.

The food looks very appetizing and the pictures are very nice.

My family love mochi which is one of our favorite treats and nice to read that you and your family enjoyed it so much. After reading your trip report, I will get one right now while reading your trip report.

Very nice update from Little Tokyo during your trip.

They have Icecream Mochi in the LA Little Tokyo?

Dang! If I'd known that, I would have been there like a shot! And I love red bean with anything.

Great morning so far; even if you were a little delayed in setting out.

Hi:wave:

I was looking at DL trip reports and stumbled upon yours. I am also from STL! Your trip looks like so much fun! I would love to return to Disneyland someday, its seems like we never think of heading west. I would love to do a road trip out that way...so much to see!

Anyway, I love that you all were representing our Cards out in CA! My DH loves to have pics of himself taken around the country in his cards gear. I was at game 5 disappointing loss, but I am still proud to be a cards fan!

Your family looks like they are really having a great time I am so glad you are sharing your trip.

I also took a look at your Marceline MO. I am hoping we can make it there next year for toonfest. I just found out about it this year and it was too late to make arrangements to go.

I can not wait to hear about the rest of your trip! Glad I found it.

Hi:wave:

I was looking at DL trip reports and stumbled upon yours. I am also from STL! Your trip looks like so much fun! I would love to return to Disneyland someday, its seems like we never think of heading west. I would love to do a road trip out that way...so much to see!

Anyway, I love that you all were representing our Cards out in CA! My DH loves to have pics of himself taken around the country in his cards gear. I was at game 5 disappointing loss, but I am still proud to be a cards fan!

Your family looks like they are really having a great time I am so glad you are sharing your trip.

I also took a look at your Marceline MO. I am hoping we can make it there next year for toonfest. I just found out about it this year and it was too late to make arrangements to go.

I can not wait to hear about the rest of your trip! Glad I found it.

That's cool that you were able to see game 5 in person, but a bummer that they lost. You are right, STL baseball fans still have a lot to be proud of :thumbsup2

I agree, a road trip out west sounds like a lot of fun. We originally planned to drive out there this summer, but had to cancel and fly due to my foot. We are considering another road trip to California the summer after next :cool1: I really hope we can make it happen.

Yeah, Marceline is a cool place to visit for a day trip. I think we are going to try and visit again in the spring (they just closed the Walt Disney Hometown Museum for the season.) Toonfest was cool, and I'd love to go again, but due to the crowds, the museum staff isn't able to give you a lot of personal attention. (From what I've read, if you go when they aren't busy, then the staff will walk around with you and share stories.) Lucky for us in STL, it's close enough that we may go in the spring to focus on the museum and then easily go again in September for Toonfest. Maybe we'll see you there :)

Day 5 - Wednesday, October 16 - Sightseeing in LA continued...

Picking up from our visit to Little Tokyo... We decided to head up north to Griffith Park. We wanted to visit the observatory, get a view of the city and the Hollywood sign, and then maybe head further north in the park to see Walt's Barn and/or the carousel.

Hollywood! I have no idea why I wanted to see this so much. I'm not really into movie stars and stuff, it just seemed sort of nostalgic&like you have to see it at least once.

Pickle with her movie star sunglasses

Amazing view. Too bad the smog affected the visibility.

Heading over to the observatory...

Little did we expect, the kids were captivated by the observatory. We spent a LONG time inside. To the point were my foot was killing me. (I had to leave the scooter back at the hotel.) I'm talking serious pain. Anyway, inside, they had all kinds of interactive models and exhibits. Really cool stuff. Buddy loved the working model of the telescope and dome (you could push buttons to move everything around.) Other exhibits included information about how telescopes work and their history. Also information and samples from all types of telescopes (optical, radio, etc.) They had exhibits about the phases of the moon, how ocean tides work, sun spots, the life of a star (and relative sizes to our sun), and so on. In addition to the astronomy related exhibits, they had a Tesla Coil (insanely cool!) and a Foucault Pendulum. Lot's of cool stuff, we didn't realize that this was more like a museum and it it would be fee. We thought we were just going up for the view. LOL. We'd like to make a dedicated visit here on our next trip!

So, we lost track of time at the observatory and it was getting late. If we wanted to get to the beach before sunset, we would have to skip seeing other parts of Griffith Park. Oh well, let's head to the beach!!! We thought that we'd head to Huntington Beach. We expected traffic, but there were a couple of accidents that made it even slower going. (Happy for smart phones and traffic apps!!) Anyway, we were getting to the point where we only had about an hour or so before sunset, so we hit Seal Beach since it was on the way, but closer. This turned out to be a good choice. The beach was lovely and mostly empty.

We were able to park right up next to the sand...

The kids had a lot of fun playing in the sand and in the ice cold water. Yikes!!

This could have been an outstanding photo. Too bad I cut her head off!!! Doh!

This one turned out OK though :)

Ninja opted to skip her bathing suit and stay dry

You can't visit the beach without burying yourself in the sand, right?

We stayed until sunset. It was a beauty.

Ninja strikes again

We stayed until it was completely dark. Such a lovely evening!

Time to eat. I've always heard about In-N-Out, but never had one of their burgers. So... Let's find one on the way back to Anaheim!!! Hey look, there's one about 15 minutes from here. Let's do this!!!

Pickle loved watching them make the fries! (I'm not sure why she was making a funny face. But we don't call her Pickle for nothing!!!)

So, in the Midwest, we have Steak-n-Shake and Culver's. Both very good burger chains. I'd have to say that these burgers were in a league of their own. Incredibly delicious!

Ninja had a chocolate shake. It, on the other hand, was just OK. The Midwestern competition wins hands down on this one :)

A satisfied customer!

It was fun eating outside. Beautiful weather and good energy from the other people around us. Good times.

We took our time eating, and then it was time to make our way over to the Vans Skatepark (in the Outlets at Orange mall, near Anaheim). So, my foot is still healing and I'm not allowed to skate until December at least, but I still wanted to visit one of the holy grails of skateboarding, the Combi Pool!!

We had just missed seeing some of the pro skaters in the pool :( But we did see 80's legends Steve Alba (Salba) and Jeff Grosso hanging out in the parking lot. I was too shy to go over and say hi. Pros or not, we did see some incredible skateboarding. There were a couple kids, not much older than Buddy, who were tearing the place apart!!! That square end of the pool is like 11 feet deep with a couple feet of vert. These kids were riding it like it was a mini ramp in their driveway. Backside smith grinds around the corners, airs several feet out, 10 foot lip slides, and so on. Amazing! I'm sure that we were watching the next generation of SoCal pro's coming up through the ranks :thumbsup2

I took Ninja inside the shop. This being at an outlet mall, they had some good deals. The staff inside were all very friendly and we had a good time browsing around. Ninja Potato picked out a new pair of Vans shoes and a couple of sweatshirts. At this point, it was about 9pm and everyone was ready to call it a day and head back to the room.

We stopped for gas, dropped the car off in the AMC Movie Theater parking lot, tossed the keys in the return slot, and walked back to our room. I have to say, renting a car for the day form Alamo was really convenient. We sure had an awesome day!

Up next will be early entry for Disneyland!

I thought it might be fun to show the path that we took for the day...

By the time it was all said and done, we probably drove about 100 miles for the day. Not bad for everything we were able to see!

awesome I want to go to the observatory and beach when we go also I really want to see Newport beach and balboa island, looks like you guys had fun on your non park day

Hi! I'm from St. Louis too!!!! Hubby and I are leaving for Disneyland in less than 4 weeks! Subbing because I love to read about anything Disney.

What a great afternoon. Seems like you saw some of the best LA had to offer. I like Seal Beach as well. It seems underrated compared to some of the other beaches around but that's okay with me.

Gorgeous pictures of your kids and the sunset.

Hope that your foot held up well for the next day.

Once we arrived at Build a Bear, Pickle wandered around the store changing her mind about what she wanted. Even though Build a Bear started in St. Louis, this was our first time inside one of these stores (except for Ninja.)

My oldest is 22 yo and still LOVES Build a Bear....fortunately for her, her boyfriend's mom works for them in one of the corporate offices....and she gets her fill of stuffed animals!

I'm taking notes on your cs successes. Putting Garden Grill on my radar but sad to hear about Flo's. Maybe we'll try breakfast there although I do like the idea of bringing some things for us to eat in the room...it's just me and hubby on this trip and we even have a couple character breakfast's scheduled (he humors me with this).

Hollywood! I have no idea why I wanted to see this so much. I'm not really into movie stars and stuff, it just seemed sort of nostalgic&like you have to see it at least once.

We stopped for gas, dropped the car off in the AMC Movie Theater parking lot, tossed the keys in the return slot, and walked back to our room. I have to say, renting a car for the day form Alamo was really convenient. We sure had an awesome day!

Up next will be early entry for Disneyland!

So you arranged the rental through Alamo ahead of time....for less than a 24 hour rental? Dh and I want to spend a day at Catalina so I'm trying to figure out if it's cheaper to rent a car and do the ferry to Catalina or just do the excursion through Disney......we are staying the first two nights at HoJo then moving over to PPH for the last 8 nights. My sis-in-law lives in CA about an hour away and will probably come visit with us at some point so we could go with her if she's able......ugh.....we leave in less than 4 weeks. I'm not really a good "fly by the seat of my pants" kinda gal. I like structure. lol!
We were in LA last June for our niece's hs graduation party and we spent a day touring Hollywood, the sign, the Walk of Fame, and even had an ice cream at Mickey's place. I do love CA. Your pictures are very nice. I'm a scrapbooking freak so I'll have a couple thousand pictures too, I'm afraid. :scared1:

Hey, we'll (Cardinal's) get 'em next year! My two teams fall in the same weekend.....watching Mizzou right now and feeling very nervous.

awesome I want to go to the observatory and beach when we go also I really want to see Newport beach and balboa island, looks like you guys had fun on your non park day

DW and I visited Newport Beach and Balboa Island (via the ferry) on our last trip. I liked it a bit better than Seal Beach, but my favorite so far is Laguna Beach. Exploring the tide pools was a lot of fun!!!

Hi! I'm from St. Louis too!!!! Hubby and I are leaving for Disneyland in less than 4 weeks! Subbing because I love to read about anything Disney.

Awesome! It's fun to see fellow STL folks on the DIS :)

Leaving in 4 weeks? I bet you are excited!!!!!!

What a great afternoon. Seems like you saw some of the best LA had to offer. I like Seal Beach as well. It seems underrated compared to some of the other beaches around but that's okay with me.

Gorgeous pictures of your kids and the sunset.

Hope that your foot held up well for the next day.

Thanks! Yeah, the foot was fine the next day. That scooter was a life saver. I'm good walking/standing for 30 to 40 minutes at a time, riding the scooter between areas in the parks gave me plenty of breaks to rest it.

We saw some good stuff in LA, but I can't wait to go back and see even more!!!! I forgot to say the we drove by "Golf n Stuff" and saw some of it from the highway. That's the mini golf/arcade/go carts place that Daniel took Ali to on their first date in the Karate Kid movie. LOL. I'm a sucker for 80's pop movies set in California. Pee Wee's Big Adventure, Karate Kid, Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure, etc. Right up my alley :)

My oldest is 22 yo and still LOVES Build a Bear....fortunately for her, her boyfriend's mom works for them in one of the corporate offices....and she gets her fill of stuffed animals!

I'm taking notes on your cs successes. Putting Garden Grill on my radar but sad to hear about Flo's. Maybe we'll try breakfast there although I do like the idea of bringing some things for us to eat in the room...it's just me and hubby on this trip and we even have a couple character breakfast's scheduled (he humors me with this).

I'd without hesitation recommend Garden Grill!! I wouldn't discourage you from trying Flo's. We liked the food, but didn't love it. However, we loved the theming of the restaurant and I'd recommend you try it at least once on your trip just for that.

So you arranged the rental through Alamo ahead of time....for less than a 24 hour rental? Dh and I want to spend a day at Catalina so I'm trying to figure out if it's cheaper to rent a car and do the ferry to Catalina or just do the excursion through Disney......we are staying the first two nights at HoJo then moving over to PPH for the last 8 nights. My sis-in-law lives in CA about an hour away and will probably come visit with us at some point so we could go with her if she's able......ugh.....we leave in less than 4 weeks. I'm not really a good "fly by the seat of my pants" kinda gal. I like structure. lol!
We were in LA last June for our niece's hs graduation party and we spent a day touring Hollywood, the sign, the Walk of Fame, and even had an ice cream at Mickey's place. I do love CA. Your pictures are very nice. I'm a scrapbooking freak so I'll have a couple thousand pictures too, I'm afraid. :scared1:

Hey, we'll (Cardinal's) get 'em next year! My two teams fall in the same weekend.....watching Mizzou right now and feeling very nervous.

Yes, I reserved the car online about 2 weeks earlier. It would have been about $30 for the one day if we didn't need the car seat, and even cheaper still if we went with a car that could only fit 4 people. They have a free email club that you can join for 10% off. Also, the prices seemed to get cheaper the closer to the date. It was substantially cheaper 2 weeks out than it was 2 months out...

Yeah, it'll be interesting to see how the Cards do next year. I graduated from Mizzou, but I'm not really into football. It sounds like they are having a tough season, hope they can get things going and do better :cool1:

Marble Bob, this TR is fantastic. I feel like I am there with you guys. Ok, I was invited, but Pop wasn't as enthusiastic as I was. I am amazed at what all you accomplished in one day with a rental car. Do your children realize just what cool parents they have????? I am so glad you were able to make this trip and enjoyed the happiest place on earth (or is that DisneyWorld?) Keep your journalistic talents going!!
Mimi:cheer2:

Marble Bob, this TR is fantastic. I feel like I am there with you guys. Ok, I was invited, but Pop wasn't as enthusiastic as I was. I am amazed at what all you accomplished in one day with a rental car. Do your children realize just what cool parents they have????? I am so glad you were able to make this trip and enjoyed the happiest place on earth (or is that DisneyWorld?) Keep your journalistic talents going!!
Mimi:cheer2:

Aw shucks, thanks Mom :)

Don't know if the kids think we are cool, I know they believe that they have the coolest grandparents though!!!!

We need to get a pre trip report going soon for the WDW family reunion in June :cool1:

I have just been looking up that skate park at Orange for my sister and her boys who are coming on our trip next year.

Do you know if it costs to skate?

That was a nice afternoon. Nice to read that you and your family did some other activities while having a car around SoCal.

Nice pictures of your kids on the beach and the sunset looks very nice.

Where do you pick up the car at DLR? We are staying at PPH but not until a sunday and I think I'd like to rent a car for the day, much like you did. Last summer we went to Venice Beach and that was a very entertaining day trip! I actually love to people watch. Hubby likes Newport Beach. Now that I think about it, I wonder if it would be cheaper to rent a car at LAX that friday evening we fly in, keep the car for 24 hours (so we can drive from LAX to HoJo, drive to beach saturday and have the car back to wherever we can drop it off saturday evening)? It's complicated now because we would still have to get from HoJo to PPH early sunday morning.......I feel like you do when you mentioned early in your TR that I'm not looking forward to lugging our stuff from HoJo to PPH in the early am on sunday......and taking a cab? Hubby says take a taxi. :confused3

I know it'd probably cost more to rent a car at LAX?

I stumbled on this TR and am loving it!

Thanks to a business trip, I was in LA 10/13-16. So, like any good Disney addict, I added a day onto my trip and went to Disney. It was my first visit to the place it all started, and I only had a day, the first Sunday you were there. DCA was not awful in the morning, but DLR was insane. Still loved every minute of it though! Reading this report is like being there all over again:cool1:

Loved it so much that it looks like I am going to be able to pull off a trip with the kiddos (DS9 and DD15), probably in February. Can I just steal your itinerary? It would suit us perfectly! Our trip will be shorter, but I love the non-Disney day plans.

Where do you pick up the car at DLR? We are staying at PPH but not until a sunday and I think I'd like to rent a car for the day, much like you did. Last summer we went to Venice Beach and that was a very entertaining day trip! I actually love to people watch. Hubby likes Newport Beach. Now that I think about it, I wonder if it would be cheaper to rent a car at LAX that friday evening we fly in, keep the car for 24 hours (so we can drive from LAX to HoJo, drive to beach saturday and have the car back to wherever we can drop it off saturday evening)? It's complicated now because we would still have to get from HoJo to PPH early sunday morning.......I feel like you do when you mentioned early in your TR that I'm not looking forward to lugging our stuff from HoJo to PPH in the early am on sunday......and taking a cab? Hubby says take a taxi. :confused3

I know it'd probably cost more to rent a car at LAX?

The Alamo is located behind Earl of Sandwich in Downtown Disney. See the big red arrow on the photo below:

I stumbled on this TR and am loving it!

Thanks to a business trip, I was in LA 10/13-16. So, like any good Disney addict, I added a day onto my trip and went to Disney. It was my first visit to the place it all started, and I only had a day, the first Sunday you were there. DCA was not awful in the morning, but DLR was insane. Still loved every minute of it though! Reading this report is like being there all over again:cool1:

Loved it so much that it looks like I am going to be able to pull off a trip with the kiddos (DS9 and DD15), probably in February. Can I just steal your itinerary? It would suit us perfectly! Our trip will be shorter, but I love the non-Disney day plans.

I'm glad you stumbled on the TR :cool1:

Yeah, that day was the busiest day that we've ever spent in any of the parks in WDW and DLR. But we loved every minute of it too!

Steal our itinerary? Go for it!!! LOL :beach: Looking back on the trip, I'm not sure that I'd have changed a thing!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter