MJ's Wheelchair!

MommytoMJM

Disney is a lifestyle!
Just a quick update (since MJ is still not feeling well)

MJ's Wheelchair has finally been approved, we should get it in a few weeks (hoping for by her birthday Feb 6) It only took them 6 MONTHS to approve it, sigh..... Now we need to come up with 750.00 for the deductible (we already have 250.00 thanks to the 6th grade Clack Cardinals!)

That's great news! :cheer2: I still hope to meet up with you in Disney.

It was nice to see you too Joanna, how is your mom doing? I was so sad we didn't get to see you again.

Cheshire, sadly No, MJ's new fave color is blue, so it will have blue paint with silver sparkles, the cushion covers are black, we don't get a choice about that, tho I may ask MIL to make her some cool Princess ones. The desk will no doubt be covered with Disney stickers when she gets a hold of it. It will have her name embroidered on the cushions, but since she'll be sitting on those you won't likely see it very often. it also has an IV pole for her pump and reclines so that when she gets tired she doesn't fall over.

Now we just have to figure out how to pay for it and get it to fit in our Geo Metro 2 door hatchback

It's a shame you couldn't have gotten it under Disney health insurance, then it would be covered 100%. I would have thought she'd have been covered under CMS here in Florida anyway since she has a disability. You might want to ask the vendor about funding sources to pay the remainder of the balance or I'm sure they have payment plans too. I'm glad it's finally coming. It was such a joy to see her at MGM running around, getting up on her tippy toes to play with the water fountain, squatting and getting back up ( petting Skye!), even though I know it was tough on you to try and run to catch her! She's a beautiful girl. Have you all settled in your new apt. yet? At least being closer will save on gas $ and have you nearer to the things you enjoy and people who can help. I'm glad the New Year is ringing in some blessings. ---Kathy

If I remember right isn't MJ adopted? If so didn't you apply for a medical subsidy for her? If not it's still not to late you can always open one up. We also have what's call Children's Special Health Care Services in Michigan that covers children with special needs there is a copay but if the child is adopted even by a step parent there is no copay.

Michigan said:
If I remember right isn't MJ adopted? If so didn't you apply for a medical subsidy for her? If not it's still not to late you can always open one up. We also have what's call Children's Special Health Care Services in Michigan that covers children with special needs there is a copay but if the child is adopted even by a step parent there is no copay.
Good point to check out.
It's the same in Minnesota.

I have a friend who is a physical therapist that adopted a child with spina bifida. She receives 100% coverage for ANY medical need and received a subsidy for a lift for a van also. Being a PT she could afford to pay herself and also has excellent health insurance but because her child is adopted, she qualifies for that state coverage until she is 21. Some states even give a monthly financial subsidy for adopting a disabled child....definitely something to pursue as her needs will continue. ---Kathy

dclfun said:
Some states even give a monthly financial subsidy for adopting a disabled child....definitely something to pursue as her needs will continue. ---Kathy

All states have monthly subsidies it depends if the child was a ward of the state or a private agency. If it was a private agency they only qualify for the Federal title part which is the same as SSI would be plus medicaid. If the child was a ward of the state they receive the same payment and benefits as the foster parents received.

Also, just as an FYI that child was adopted in Louisiana and when they moved to Texas, the subsidy followed them, so the state of Louisiana ( as well as the federal gov't) is responsible for Sarah until she is 21. I would think the same would apply for MJ even though she wasn't adopted in Florida. Also I thought of something else positive...now that Andrew is a CM, you won't need to renew at least his annual pass...there's a savings there too! ---Kathy

dclfun said:
Also, just as an FYI that child was adopted in Louisiana and when they moved to Texas, the subsidy followed them, so the state of Louisiana ( as well as the federal gov't) is responsible for Sarah until she is 21. I would think the same would apply for MJ even though she wasn't adopted in Florida.

Kathy you are correct. I adopted my youngest from Texas and we live in Michigan the subsidy is from the state the child was in at the time they were placed for adoption.

Cindy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter