MNSSHP - Going Overboard on Dates?

I don't have a problem with them having the parties in August. That allows a lot of people to go who otherwise would not be able to. I do see an issue with them having 4 party nights a week. If a family goes for a 6 day trip (for instance 9th - 14 Oct) 4 of those nights are closed to them. The night time atmosphere, the cooler temperatures, even dining in the park for dinner are closed to them on those nights. That leaves two that they can be in the park after dark. It is hard to plan around the party, so I can see why some people are upset with it. We are going in December for 14 nights and are going to the MVMCP (maybe twice) Out of my 14 days, only 6 of those are parties but that is only because the last party is on the 22nd. I have not seen the new fireworks but I am more excited to see the Christmas ones so no big deal for me, but for others who have not been or don't go often, I can understand their frustration. It does seem to be a bit too many.

This is us. Without quitting my job, I can't visit in September or October. I can visit in August, and am, and have dreamed of attending MNSSHP since I heard about them. I never dreamed I could, but this year, Disney have made my dream come true and I am so excited. I'm sorry that other people are upset, but when you spend all that money to fly across the Atlantic, getting a bonus surprise party (we booked in April 2016) is the best thing we could have hoped for.

This is the same for me. Having to go in the summer holidays because my mum works in a school meant we would never get to do the parties, but this year we will be going to the 25th August Halloween party and i'm so excited that i will finally get to experience the party after reading about it for so many years. Luckily for me, i also have a trip booked with friends for November so i will also be going to the MVMCP as well. I'm far too excited for a 31 year old woman

7pm closing 4 days a week bothers me. Maybe if they opened MK earlier, that would help, also keep park open later than 9 on the other nights. Years ago before the parks were crowded beyond belief, they had the parks open very late....I remember being in MK past midnight regularly, now that the parks are crazy crowded they close MK at 7 and 9. The lines are getting out of control and they just keep cutting hours. There's no night life past 9, or very little or unless you want to pay for a party. I do pay for a party once during the trip to get a late night in but I'm not paying for anymore than one late night. I know DS is open late but that isn't someplace that I want to go to every night and don't even want to go every trip although, I must admit that some of the restaurants there are great!

I don't have a problem with August dates for the party and happy for those that can attend it then. I just think there are too many dates each week and they let too many people into the parties.

Celebrating Halloween in Aug is certainly a little overboard. Any sane person should agree. BUT I am ecstatic about the Aug 25th date because it falls during our trip. We have planned fall trips just for MNSSHP because our family enjoys it so much and wasn't planning on it for this trip. So I am looking at it as some pre-trip Disney magic, even though I know PP are correct in that it was a profit based decision. It seems like there are a good number of folks on these threads who are going to attend 8/25 so could be first date of 2017 to sell out and then we can start to speculate on 2018 dates. :duck:

I went to WDW in August of 2015 .. it was hot, humid and stormed every afternoon (or evening). I was not in the "fall" mood for a Halloween party in any way, shape or form.

I feel the same way. Maybe it's because we have such long drawn out winters and cold weather here that I try to hold onto summer and anything summer related until at least after Labor Day. DH and I refuse to close our pool until mid-September :laughing:! Anything fall related (harvest decor, pumpkin patch visits, Halloween, etc.) isn't on my radar until mid-late September. I understand MNSSHP is extremely popular and Disney might be trying to spread out the crowds; but I'm not so sure about starting the parties up in August though :sunny:

I think it is fine if you are a person who wants to do a party as it spreads the crowds out a little but if you don't do the partys and want MK at night, it is just that much more crowded on the few nights that they are open late. I am in both camps- I love a less crowded party but I hate how crowded it is for the few nights to be in MK late those weeks. We still usually do both!
Yes. This! I have attended MNSSHP for the last 4 years and last year was so insanely busy that I vowed I wouldn't attend this year (we'll see if that holds true lol) I HOPE this might thin the crowds a bit (not counting on it though). I will be at WDW for 9 nights from 10/17-26 and 5 of those nights are party nights which means crowded non-party nights for us. The plus for me though this year is that we will be at Bay Lake Tower so we'll get to see Hallowishes from the Top of the World lounge several times! Can't say I am not looking forward to THAT!!

I agree with the posts below that 4 nights a week is unfair.

Hey Disney - how bout summer MVMCP so we can have Christmas in July?! :duck::duck::santa:

I don't have a problem with them having the parties in August. That allows a lot of people to go who otherwise would not be able to. I do see an issue with them having 4 party nights a week. If a family goes for a 6 day trip (for instance 9th - 14 Oct) 4 of those nights are closed to them. The night time atmosphere, the cooler temperatures, even dining in the park for dinner are closed to them on those nights. That leaves two that they can be in the park after dark. It is hard to plan around the party, so I can see why some people are upset with it. We are going in December for 14 nights and are going to the MVMCP (maybe twice) Out of my 14 days, only 6 of those are parties but that is only because the last party is on the 22nd. I have not seen the new fireworks but I am more excited to see the Christmas ones so no big deal for me, but for others who have not been or don't go often, I can understand their frustration. It does seem to be a bit too many.

7pm closing 4 days a week bothers me. Maybe if they opened MK earlier, that would help, also keep park open later than 9 on the other nights. Years ago before the parks were crowded beyond belief, they had the parks open very late....I remember being in MK past midnight regularly, now that the parks are crazy crowded they close MK at 7 and 9. The lines are getting out of control and they just keep cutting hours. There's no night life past 9, or very little or unless you want to pay for a party. I do pay for a party once during the trip to get a late night in but I'm not paying for anymore than one late night. I know DS is open late but that isn't someplace that I want to go to every night and don't even want to go every trip although, I must admit that some of the restaurants there are great!

I don't have a problem with August dates for the party and happy for those that can attend it then. I just think there are too many dates each week and they let too many people into the parties.

Like year round festivals in Epcot I am actually surprised that they don't have other party concepts going on at MK at other points in the year. I actually enjoy the special events so you can count me as part of the problem!!

They're never going to make everyone happy. If they're selling out most nights it's obviously a wise business decision. There are plenty of other days to visit MK if you're that upset about all the party nights and shorter hours.

The way I see it, those of us who will already be there in August or September have our chances, and those that want to do the Magic Kingdom during their trips still have options as well. I am only going to be there 3 days, so I won't have many options for the party(I think only one before I have to head back home), so I am glad I at least have the option. It wasn't planned this way, since my planning was done to separate enough time between that and a weekend cruise to the Bahamas in December(my travel companion, a family member, works Monday through Thursday normally while my work is mobile, and on my schedule, so I split up what was originally a week long trip into two separate weekend trips). I think a schedule with 3 or 4 party nights a week and the rest being regular nights is a fair compromise. Also, keep in mind that from a reservations perspective(I used to be a travel agent(and Disney certified too)), September and October are low and shoulder season dates, so it makes sense to start bringing in local(in state) visitors as the out of state crowds start to wane some.

Because it is SO horrible that a publicly traded company is trying to maximize profits...

Seriously, as one can see from this thread alone, there are people who are super excited about the parties. It's not like Disney sits there and goes "Muwahaha... we should put parties in August even though no one has said they would want them!" Trust me... they don't do this for the heck of it.

And yes, they do need the money. That's sort of the point of a business.

Wow, you should work for their P.R. department. They need the money? Maybe that's a typo --the first two letters should be "gr". Exactly at what point do multi-billion dollar profits stop becoming a "need"?

But your'e right, there really is no limit to what a company should do to maximize profits. In keeping with that apologist philosophy, I encourage the company to start posting big, burly guys at the entrance to the parks, to hold us all by the ankles and shake us until every dime falls out of our pockets and into large baskets. Wouldn't that maximize their profits?

It's all about giving choices! Disney offers the parties. I make the choice to attend the parties and happily hand over my money. On the other hand, I am not going to let any big, burly guy shake even a penny out of me. First, that's illegal and second, I have a choice not to go if I see the big, burly guys at the entrance. I understand that it sucks when the time one can stay in a favourite park is limited. However, this is what capitalism is all about. That's why I work hard every day in order to enjoy my yearly vacation in the summer. Oh! Am I on cloud 9 when I can eventually get to attend the MNSSHP this year! :cloud9:

My sons and I go to WDW at the end of August every year, and always miss the first party by a day or two. Yes, it's going to be a bit starnge celebrating Halloween in August, but we are excited for the opportunity to go on the 25th.

Wow, you should work for their P.R. department. They need the money? Maybe that's a typo --the first two letters should be "gr". Exactly at what point do multi-billion dollar profits stop becoming a "need"?

But your'e right, there really is no limit to what a company should do to maximize profits. In keeping with that apologist philosophy, I encourage the company to start posting big, burly guys at the entrance to the parks, to hold us all by the ankles and shake us until every dime falls out of our pockets and into large baskets. Wouldn't that maximize their profits?
Well, I will say it. If you don't like it, don't go to it. Period. That's all you can do.

I just happen to not be bothered at all by this and understand that there are reasons businesses do what they do. There have been decisions that Disney has done that I don't like (I hate the dining plan and what it seems to have done to restaurants there), but I have a choice that I can make. This specific change makes no difference to me and I personally see it as a sound business decision. Sorry I am not anti business or anti Disney in general. I take each situation on its own and make my own decision on it. That does not make me an apologist.

My sons and I go to WDW at the end of August every year, and always miss the first party by a day or two. Yes, it's going to be a bit starnge celebrating Halloween in August, but we are excited for the opportunity to go on the 25th.

This year marks my first Disney trip ever(a water park one next month and the theme park trip in September), and I am glad to get a chance to go to the party, something I wasn't even planning on originally. Did realize I can possibly do that and Halloween Horror Nights during the same trip, but right now not sure on doing the HHN event, given the other member of my travel party has some medical issues to deal with as well. it is nice to have the choice. Last year I did the Howl-O-Scream event at Busch Gardens Williamsburg(picking up annual passes really), and that was like something out of one of those Horror C-Movies they play on the SyFy Channel.

Well, I will say it. If you don't like it, don't go to it. Period. That's all you can do.

I just happen to not be bothered at all by this and understand that there are reasons businesses do what they do. There have been decisions that Disney has done that I don't like (I hate the dining plan and what it seems to have done to restaurants there), but I have a choice that I can make. This specific change makes no difference to me and I personally see it as a sound business decision. Sorry I am not anti business or anti Disney in general. I take each situation on its own and make my own decision on it. That does not make me an apologist.

You bring up a good point, on the dining plans. Why doesn't Disney offer one to off-site guests as well, if they are going to offer them? That never made sense to me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter