modern day garage sale villas

twooley2

DIS Veteran
I wonder if there is some reasoning that when staying dvc the rooms look like a modern day garage sale meaning the soft goods in the rooms but the regular cash base customer rooms are all nice and fresh looking? Not to mention the villas are always set to be off to the side of the resort and the big awe of the resorts kind of like step children to the resorts?

I wonder if there is some reasoning that when staying dvc the rooms look like a modern day garage sale meaning the soft goods in the rooms but the regular cash base customer rooms are all nice and fresh looking? Not to mention the villas are always set to be off to the side of the resort and the big awe of the resorts kind of like step children to the resorts?

The only place they are off to the side is in locations where there was already an existing resort in place when the villas were built...Contemporary, Beach Club, Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Grand Floridian. The Boardwalk Villas were built at the same time as the Boardwalk Inn and they are equally placed. Saratoga Springs and Old Key West are DVC-only resorts.

As for "modern day garage sale" I don't get that feeling at all. The rooms are well-themed and appropriately furnished. There are several Disney touches throughout and everything has a flow...just like at the non-DVC resorts. They are not refurbished as frequently since our dues pay for those refurbishments, but otherwise they are, IMO, equally appointed.

DVC already has your money. If you want people to pay $450 a night to stay in your hotel it will be nicer.

I'm perfectly happy with the DVC locations and decor.

I havent stayed at all the DVC resort rooms but many pictures on here show lots of wear from others who post pictures here. This concerns me as it seems other threads on the regular cash customers dont have these same pictures. I could be missing it though. when someone goes to say wilderness lodge they are off to the side away from the action and fun pool and the main theming just one example.

DVC already has your money. If you want people to pay $450 a night to stay in your hotel it will be nicer.

I'm perfectly happy with the DVC locations and decor.

I think this is where its at and a bad way of doing business in an economy where people can return it to them if they so chose to. When it comes to choices people will think about this harder and it will end up at their top place to drop off their finances before something else of importance. Of course many people pay cash or the second hand method of buying in and are stuck truley with whatever happens over the years good or bad.

I havent stayed at all the DVC resort rooms but many pictures on here show lots of wear from others who post pictures here. This concerns me as it seems other threads on the regular cash customers dont have these same pictures. I could be missing it though. when someone goes to say wilderness lodge they are off to the side away from the action and fun pool and the main theming just one example.

yes they do - sometimes it is even worst with a cash resort - because if they are due for a rehab in a couple of months - you can forget them doing anything for you. go look at some of the complaints about Polyn on the resort boards.

before the recent redo of All stars - they have a bunch of complaints.

just be glad that BLT does not have the silly sinks that CR has.

the only DVC resort that was truly an addition after the fact was BCV. one of my favorites - but yes it is not in a great location. Now BLT is in a wonderfully location - due to tearing down the north wing.

WL and AKL to me are not - mainly because the same architect that designed them also designed VWL and AKV - so they seem to be part of the entire resort not an addition.

now love BLT - but since it does (to me) out shine CR - it does look like an addition.

will have to wait until DVC GF is finished to know if more like BLT or BCV.

Members pay for all renovations. Our annual dues go for salaries of the staff, maintenance on the resorts, housekeeping, room amenitities (like shampoo, soap and other stuff), transportation costs, recreation costs, everything at the resort. I'd rather pay less than pay a whole lot more and try to keep up with the GF or YC with their decor. DVC is required to keep dues as low as possible. They don't pay for anything in the villas other than DVC sales staff and sales promotions.

DVC renovations occur a lot less frequently than the hotel renovations. And they just raise the cost of the hotel room to pay for the cost of the renovations.

I think this is where its at and a bad way of doing business in an economy where people can return it to them if they so chose to. When it comes to choices people will think about this harder and it will end up at their top place to drop off their finances before something else of importance. Of course many people pay cash or the second hand method of buying in and are stuck truley with whatever happens over the years good or bad.

So in this economy you are in favor of increased dues to pay for more frequent renovations? DVC is a timeshare, Disney does not pay for renovations.

Also, there aren't 'cash' rooms and 'point' rooms at DVC resorts.

ALL of the DVC rooms in inventory are available to book with cash or points.

Because of the point system, and not a fixed week and fixed unit system, they have to leave ALL rooms open to book with either cash or points. However, there is a certain percentage of inventory at each resort that is left to book with cash because there is an amount at each resort not owned by members. AND the percentage is different from day to day due to members exchanging their points out of their home resort.

BUT, I really don't think DVC villas are in bad shape - we've stayed in rooms at OKW before the remodel and they still had a very nice feel to them and were well decorated! In fact, I miss some of the decor that had been in place at OKW!

I have more of an issue with daily maintenance/housekeeping than the general overall condition. There is always hair on the floor, toothpaste spots on the mirrors, and lint/string on the floors and carpeted baseboards.

I wish DVC would commit to spending one more minute each day on each villa to regularly clean things like cabinet detail, doors, door jambs, air vents, window sills, patio details (railings, furniture etc), and other small details that aren't cleaned every day.

Spending 1 extra minute a day, 7 minutes each week, on each villa, I really think the overall condition of the DVC villas would improve dramatically in 3 months or less.

The devil is in the details, so too is the dust, dirt, and grime. It just takes a minute to take care of a detail every.

Let's just hope that the changes that Claire Bilby is bringing continue to be great changes that make a difference for every single member!

So in this economy you are in favor of increased dues to pay for more frequent renovations? DVC is a timeshare, Disney does not pay for renovations.

No but I want something of value that I can still feel like I am on a deluxe vacation for the money I am giving already. I am not saying the villas are not o.k. just not deluxe- five star in my opinion. I can get just ok at any place but when I choose to make an investment I want it to be one of along the lines of spectacular. I think I would be willing to pay for dues if it equated to what I was paying for. currently I pay equal dues as I do property tax on my home

You seem intent on seeing only negatives so it might be better if you sold your membership. We have never been unhappy with our DVC purchase. We have stayed in all of the DVC resorts, except Aulani, and have enjoyed each one. We choose to focus on the positives of each resort, rather than the negatives. Again, if you are unhappy you are under no obligation to continue your membership.

You seem intent on seeing only negatives so it might be better if you sold your membership. We have never been unhappy with our DVC purchase. We have stayed in all of the DVC resorts, except Aulani, and have enjoyed each one. We choose to focus on the positives of each resort, rather than the negatives. Again, if you are unhappy you are under no obligation to continue your membership.

What I do with my membership is my business. I simply am stating that this could be viewed in such a way. Read all the bad views of different villas in the threads under DVC resorts they are unsurmountable. Many People obviously arent happy thats not to say all of course if its paid off who would sell it. A old house paid off is better than a new one with payments. The positives are there in that we have a guaranteed place to stay every year with more room than a value resort but now the value resort rooms are growing too for a measly 300+ a night. so obviously it is a better bargain when comparing to that price.

VGC is an addon..along with a bunch more hotel rooms.You need to weave through the lobby and go outside along a walkway to enter the new building. Not a stepchild..this wing has some gorgeous views and is built with attention to detail and style. The villas are fabulous and we have no complaints.

VGC is an addon..along with a bunch more hotel rooms.You need to weave through the lobby and go outside along a walkway to enter the new building. Not a stepchild..this wing has some gorgeous views and is built with attention to detail and style. The villas are fabulous and we have no complaints.

Never been there so cant compare. I think I am being misunderstood it just feels that way to me when all the perks and the DVC resorts get things last. Along with reading all the bad stuff about TV's not working and bad housekeeping and no housekeeping. I knew this going in but an afterthought has made me reevaluate the true value. I am sure after years of having it paid off I may see a better value but even friends who we take are so surprised there is no housekeeping without a charge. People who have been to Disney before on the regular(not DVC side) I would expect loyal customers such as DVC owners to have more perks and be treated for their loyalty.

Never been there so cant compare. I think I am being misunderstood it just feels that way to me when all the perks and the DVC resorts get things last. Along with reading all the bad stuff about TV's not working and bad housekeeping and no housekeeping. I knew this going in but an afterthought has made me reevaluate the true value. I am sure after years of having it paid off I may see a better value but even friends who we take are so surprised there is no housekeeping without a charge. People who have been to Disney before on the regular(not DVC side) I would expect loyal customers such as DVC owners to have more perks and be treated for their loyalty.

Reality can be a tough pill to swallow. First and foremost, Disney is a business, they focus on what brings in the money. Put yourself Disney's shoes, they make money by selling new resorts, they fit in a DVC building where they can because selling DVC units will make more money than adding rooms for cash guests.

Over the years they have learned that perks and loyalty hasn't greatly affected sales so why give them away? They tend to offer perks that don't cost them anything while keeping most owners happy.

:earsboy: Bill

But where would the money for those perks, and room updates, and treats for our loyalty come from? Which division of the Disney company? And what business case would there be for spending those millions of dollars to update thousands of resort rooms, and continually give goodies to many thousands of members as a thank-you for spending money on DVC?

It wouldn't be DVD, Disney Vacation Development, the people who sold you your DVC contract. They're a real estate developer, they exist to sell timeshares, and that's it. They're out of the picture after you buy.

I don't know the name of the division that operates the DVC resorts, but it wouldn't be them, cause we members pay the operating costs of the resorts through our maintenance fees.

The point I'm trying to make is, timeshares are designed to be supported by their owners. We pay for any room updates. If you want nicer furnishings in the rooms, it's going to come out of your maintenance fees.

ETA: I forgot to explain why there's "no housekeeping without a charge". WE pay the cost of housekeeping. That's part of what your maintenance fees go for. We pay the wages of the housekeepers, and their benefits, and we pay for their cleaning supplies, and we pay to replace the vacuums when they wear out. If DVC resorts had full daily housekeeping like the other resorts, our maintenance fees would increase greatly. Many members don't even want daily housekeeping. I don't need it and I don't want someone coming into my room to make my bed while I'm trying to take a nap.

So, the fair thing to do is to give a basic level of housekeeping to everyone, and then those who want additional days of housekeeping can pay for it themselves. That sounds like a good deal for me, because the per-night cost of a room on DVC points, even paying out of pocket for extra housekeeping, is still WAY the heck lower than a cash reservation for the same room.

I think perhaps you're misunderstanding the way DVC (and timeshares) work. You're thinking of it like a loyalty program, where you pre-pay for stays at a nice hotel and then the hotel company rewards you by giving you perks and things. That's not what DVC is at all. It's a shared-ownership thing. To really understand DVC, you need to think like an owner, not like a hotel guest.

I would expect loyal customers such as DVC owners to have more perks and be treated for their loyalty.

your expectations need an adjustment - you really don't sound like a good candidate for DVC ownership... it's going to be a long list of disappointments...

(also, if you've been loyal to your local cable company, you may want to call and threaten to leave and see if they offer you a better deal...)

DVC does bring out more perks but it never seems to be enough for some people. The $399 PAP offer was a great deal. It may not work for everyone but it was a good deal on top of the regular AP/PAP discount. There's a free D23 membership coming out next year. TIW card for members at the discounted rate ($100, regular is now $125). I think the perks are way better than when I bought in 1999.

I'm not the OP but I do want a fair all around refurbs on all the resorts.
SSR has received a refurb and they are a newer resort than WLV.... :sad2:
I wish they would do WLV ...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter