Monorail issues?

That may be a seasonal thing because most of our holidays we had monorail service for MK magic hours, just twice last year early on our visit (we are usually there 10th-26th December). We get the resort monorail if the express hasn't started but last year even that hadn't started on those two occasions.
The monorails do run extended hours around he holidays but they haven't ran for just for EMH in years.

During the month of Dec. Disney is switching to a driverless monorail system hense the issues folks are experiencing. Told to me by one of the monorail personal at the Contemporary resort.
Monorails are not switching to a driverless system. You were misinformed. A new train spacing and speed system is being installed. Kind of like an auto pilot/adaptive cruise control system but the trains are not becoming driverless.

The monorails do run extended hours around he holidays but they haven't ran for just for EMH in years.

Monorails are not switching to a driverless system. You were misinformed. A new train spacing and speed system is being installed. Kind of like an auto pilot/adaptive cruise control system but the trains are not becoming driverless.
I am just going by what the CM told us. He did say there would now be no drivers up front. Since he works on the monorail line I guess he would know what is going on.

I am just going by what the CM told us. He did say there would now be no drivers up front. Since he works on the monorail line I guess he would know what is going on.
Well he misinformed you. There will always be a driver in the front cab, the trains cannot opperste in any fashion without someone being there. This includes with the new system enhancements.

For the original poster that asked, the "Monorail hasn't run for EMH in years" answer is simply not 100% accurate. You have to be a bit more specific about which extra magic hours (AM or PM) and which monorail line (Resort, Express, Epcot). There have certainly been hours when the monorail is running that cover some - but not all - of many of these options.

That's correct. The monorail is well past its life expectancy. I wish they would prioritize a real fix, even if it means a lengthy closure. This scraping by thing has gone on for years and isn't going to get any better on its own.

As much as I love the monorail, I agree. Its time for a real fix. When we went to MK back in March, the monorails were down for issues both days we were there, even though they were only scheduled to be down around lunch time. And when we went two weeks ago, we had a long wait while maintenance tried to fix a door on one of the cars that wouldn't close. We had to wait for that repair, then wait for two more trains because of the crowd. When it comes to MK, getting there is not half the fun!

I would have rather seen Disney plow the money they spent in Shanghai into new Monorail trainsets or a new light rail system.

Thank you all for your responses and insight.

I did experience two issues with the monorail during my visit:

1) Going to Epcot on 12/10: Boarded at GF. Had to roll back to MK and evacuate. Took boat from MK to TTC. Epcot beam also down, bussed to Epcot. Seemed like forever, but we had fortunately left enough time not to miss our CP ADR.

2) Going to MK on 12/13: Walked from Conch Key to get the monorail to MK. Monorail was evacuated. Entire crowd made its way to boat. Walked back/past Conch Key. Two normal sized boats came and went. A GF CM informed us a larger boat was coming. It did, and I was the last family on board. Made it to Poly, then MK. Took about 50 minutes.

I did utilize LYFT about 4x during my trip in addition to the Walt Disney transportation. Besides the two monorail incidents above, I have to say we lucked out with boats and busses arriving shortly.

Overall it went well and I just wish I could be back lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter