Monorail may be inspected by DOT if new bill gets passed

The plan so far calls for a yearly plan and a 3 year onsite inspection. But the part that's a little nerve wracking is "other periodic evaluations".
And you know they’re going to find something wrong and then suspend monorail use for a while. Desantis now has a vendetta against Disney so I want to see how this will end up.

How long will Disney acquiesce before taking meaningful action? I suggest setting a (temporary) closing date for the Parks until this is reversed. I know Disney won't do that but an employer of their size should have some clout.
Right?! I would hate to book a monorail resort and then DOT shuts down the monorail unexpectedly.

How long will Disney acquiesce before taking meaningful action? I suggest setting a (temporary) closing date for the Parks until this is reversed. I know Disney won't do that but an employer of their size should have some clout.
Disney just filed suit against DeSantis is Federal Court to get an injunction on all the actions Florida's government has taken.

I suggest setting a (temporary) closing date for the Parks until this is reversed. I know Disney won't do that but an employer of their size should have some clout.
That would be one way to shock some! And they would have to send out a WARN notice that 70,000 Central Floridians will be laid off on that day. Hair on fire in the statehouse LOL

I just read Disney’s entire filing, which (though IANAL) seems very persuasive. DeSantis could well have shot himself in the foot with his musings about building a new prison next to Disney, etc., making it clear that he was openly retaliating against Disney for expressing a viewpoint.
https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/23789600-file-stamped-disney-complaint1

There's also an art to picking a venue. This is a federal lawsuit where there are several possibilities, and there's all sorts of rationale for picking a specific venue, including the possibility of "judge shopping" even though the selection of a judge is supposed to be random. But in this case I could have thought of several locations they could chosen - especially the Middle District of Florida (based in Orlando) where Walt Disney Parks & Resorts is headquartered. Or the Central District of California (based in Los Angeles) where the Walt Disney Company is headquartered, although I suppose the defendants would have asked for a change of venue. They picked the Northern District of Florida (based in Tallahassee) where the state government conducts most of its business and where the legislation took place.

I would HOPE that someone who may well want people to vote for him for president would realize that it’s not a great idea to deliberately inconvenience people on a Disney vacation as part of his petty spat with a corporation that brings pleasure to millions of ordinary Americans.
I would hope that a business does not think it is above the law, and can't continue to do business on un-equal grounds giving it an unfair advantage against its competitors.

I have never been to universal, but they have been fighting on unequal terms all these years. It is not fair.

I would hope that a business does not think it is above the law, and can't continue to do business on un-equal grounds giving it an unfair advantage against its competitors.

I have never been to universal, but they have been fighting on unequal terms all these years. It is not fair.

That's not really true though. While Disney did get benefit from managing their district themselves, that also came with a ton of costs and responsibilities. Universal does not have to manage roads and road maintenance, water retention, a fire department, etc. The deal was always mutually beneficial for both Disney and the state of Florida.

There was an opportunity to dissolve the district and put Disney under local jurisdiction so they’re on equal grounds with Universal. They did not do that.

The state of Florida and the governor himself was just fine with how things were until Disney decided to say something he didn't like. They had zero issue with the "unfair advantage" Disney held until Chapek spoke. This has nothing to do with leveling the playing field to make everyone equal and everything to do with punishing a company that spoke against you. It's textbook retaliation. The legislation that's gone down is all specifically targeted at Disney. None of it affects Universal like the new ride inspections. Universal and SeaWorld were specifically left out. How is that fair?

There was an opportunity to dissolve the district and put Disney under local jurisdiction so they’re on equal grounds with Universal. They did not do that.

That's true too. Dissolving the district (and assuming the debt and costs) was the only way to truly be fair. What they ended up setting up was actually intended to punish Disney more than other similar businesses. How is that fair?

Th

is is beyond that.

No issue if you get rid of Reedy Creek big issue if you pass legislation to punish or control a private entity

And doing so would then transfer the tax burden to the residents of Osceola and Orange counties. There was a loooooot of backlash to that suggestion.

That's not really true though. While Disney did get benefit from managing their district themselves, that also came with a ton of costs and responsibilities. Universal does not have to manage roads and road maintenance, water retention, a fire department, etc. The deal was always mutually beneficial for both Disney and the state of Florida.

Disney was paying a ridiculous amount of taxes (I heard about 3x county taxes) on top of what they owed to Orange and Osceola Counties where they barely received any city or county services. The benefit they did get was that they were able to float municipal bonds with tax breaks to the bondholders. But otherwise they could have theoretically operated a lot of that infrastructure privately, such as privately run roads instead of district owned roads.

Still - I've followed this for some time and there is this frequent misunderstanding that somehow the Walt Disney Company was dodging taxes with the Reedy Creek Improvement District.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter