More Epcot entertainment cuts...Japan, UK, Italy...so far

I remember the good 'ol days when we would bounce back and forth between the British Invasion and Off Kilter shows :rockband:, with the UK kiosk :drinking1conveniently located between the 2 stages! For years I only thought there were 2 countries in World Showcase! :rolleyes1 I also miss the Living Statues and the World Showcase Players.
I loved Off Kilter. They were fun to watch and very good. After they left, we became fans of British Invasion.
While they have had many groups play in the Canada Pavillion (and some were very good), I haven't seen any that came close to Off Kilter.

If you still go to Disney with all the cuts, then that tells them it's ok to do it.

Disney used to offer all the entertainment and perks to draw people to the parks... the last few years the parks have been super crowded, so Disney doesn't have to do anything to draw people anymore. In fact, it's the opposite...they want fewer people, but those who spend more money. They have been raising prices like crazy, yet people still pack the parks. Disney has been in money grabbing mode... since they are getting packed on the crowds, they then turn to cutting costs to gather more profit. If you think Disney is in it for the 'magic' you are very mistaken, they are in it for the money...the 'magic' is a facade they put on to make people come. The facade does benefit visitors for some feel good moments, but first and foremost they are a money making company. If you have been going for a long time, you know the 'magic' has been on a decline for quite a while.

Also due the crowds, Disney is not a 'relaxing' vacation for most anymore... everyone is on schedule to get to the next ride or dining reservation... very few stop to listen to the entertainment. Know when I went last few times there was rarely more than 10-20 people watching any live music acts. Yeah, a lot heard them in passing, but not many stayed.

Truly bummed, I loved the drumming in Japan. This was one if the things I looked forward to most. Epcot is traditionally the park I had to do twice when I went to WDW, this was one of the reasons.

Hate to say it and many will disagree with me but it's been many many years since I actually stopped to watch any of these performances. If I happen to be walking by a country and music is being played, that's cool that I get to hear it but I don't stop for it. So, in that sense, I feel like the ambiance will take a hit. But I mainly go for the food, the drinks, the shops, etc.

I respect your entertainment likes but I would believe you might be in the minority.

If you still go to Disney with all the cuts, then that tells them it's ok to do it.

Disney used to offer all the entertainment and perks to draw people to the parks... the last few years the parks have been super crowded, so Disney doesn't have to do anything to draw people anymore. In fact, it's the opposite...they want fewer people, but those who spend more money. They have been raising prices like crazy, yet people still pack the parks. Disney has been in money grabbing mode... since they are getting packed on the crowds, they then turn to cutting costs to gather more profit. If you think Disney is in it for the 'magic' you are very mistaken, they are in it for the money...the 'magic' is a facade they put on to make people come. The facade does benefit visitors for some feel good moments, but first and foremost they are a money making company. If you have been going for a long time, you know the 'magic' has been on a decline for quite a while.

Also due the crowds, Disney is not a 'relaxing' vacation for most anymore... everyone is on schedule to get to the next ride or dining reservation... very few stop to listen to the entertainment. Know when I went last few times there was rarely more than 10-20 people watching any live music acts. Yeah, a lot heard them in passing, but not many stayed.
But thats the thing people won't stop going... I'm guessing over time the crowds will probably grow. So Disney will continue to do exactly what they have over the past several years.

I thought I had read that many of the workers in World Showcase had been sent back to their home country. Any idea if that was accurate or just another rumor going around?
Maybe I read it wrong or the report was inaccurate.

I read on here that those participating in the cultural program (I don’t remember the official name) had the option of going home. College program cast members were forced to leave.

I read on here that those participating in the cultural program (I don’t remember the official name) had the option of going home. College program cast members were forced to leave.
correct the international CP is allowed to stay, these are the kids that staff WS.

correct the international CP is allowed to stay, these are the kids that staff WS.
Thats what I had expected, but had read something different. If all those that staff WS were sent home, I didn't see how they could reopen anytime in the next few months. That makes more sense.

100% agree. Without the entertainment, World Showcase isn't really much more than an internationally themed outdoor mall/bar. But I think Disney cutting anything that doesn't increase revenue is pretty much what we can expect after this closure.
I don't think it was Walt's main goal to make money. Nuff said. It was to give people of all ages a magical escape from the world where they could, for at least a little while, forget their troubles and feel free to skip and laugh and be a kid... no matter their age.
ITA. “Disney” the CMs see their jobs as giving guests a magical experience. “Disney” the executives see their jobs as making THEMSELVES gobs of money. They don’t even care about making the company money except that that’s how they get THEIR money. They stay a while, do whatever it takes to rake it in, and then move on. And I doubt any of them are coming back there for their family vacation. Until somebody who actually cares more about the guests than their own pocketbook gets enough clout to overrule that garbage, it’s just going to continue. It truly sucks.

ITA. “Disney” the CMs see their jobs as giving guests a magical experience. “Disney” the executives see their jobs as making THEMSELVES gobs of money. They don’t even care about making the company money except that that’s how they get THEIR money. They stay a while, do whatever it takes to rake it in, and then move on. And I doubt any of them are coming back there for their family vacation. Until somebody who actually cares more about the guests than their own pocketbook gets enough clout to overrule that garbage, it’s just going to continue. It truly sucks.
Just a question, how is this different than any other company? Every company wants their employees to make them money. Thats the whole point.

I don't think it was Walt's main goal to make money. Nuff said. It was to give people of all ages a magical escape from the world where they could, for at least a little while, forget their troubles and feel free to skip and laugh and be a kid... no matter their age.
It may not have been Walt's main goal to make money. It was Roy's goal to make sure they make enough money to cover operational and capital expenses along with making some type of profit to satisfy shareholders.

Just a question, how is this different than any other company? Every company wants their employees to make them money. Thats the whole point.
Sorry, I guess I ran out of steam and never wrapped up my rant LOL

i meant to summarize by saying if they don’t get a CEO (or President?) who cares enough about the guest experience to tell the stockholders they can be happy with a 2% increase in profits every year versus 10% (or whatever), even if it only means a $50K bonus for him versus $1M (or, again, whatever), then the guest experience is just going to continue downhill. Yes, a business has to show a profit; it does NOT have to be a cash cow.
Man, now I’m tired again! LOL

i meant to summarize by saying if they don’t get a CEO (or President?) who cares enough about the guest experience to tell the stockholders they can be happy with a 2% increase in profits every year versus 10% (or whatever), even if it only means a $50K bonus for him versus $1M (or, again, whatever), then the guest experience is just going to continue downhill. Yes, a business has to show a profit; it does NOT have to be a cash cow.
I don’t think that will ever happen in today’s corporate America. It’s always about the stockholders.

I stand by my previous statement, the faster you realize that Disney's top brass is about making money first, serving the guests second. The faster you accept it, the faster you become ok with it, the calmer you'll be.
If you cannot accept that then you're in for a bumpy ride and future Disney trips might not be the best for you
We all hate it but unfortunately there really is no use in fighting it, I say with with no sarcasm or ill will
And for people that bring what would walt do and walt would be rolling in his grave, the era of walt Disney ended the day he died, so technically WDW never operated in walt's philosophy, as much as we would like to think that Roy would carry the banner, he was the money guy, he was old, he had retired and only came back to finish his brother's dream park.
It's a real peaceful place to still enjoy the parks and offerings knowing the priorities of the top brass.

I don’t think that will ever happen in today’s corporate America. It’s always about the stockholders.
I’m only “liking” this because there’s no unlike button :( I know you’re right, but it still stinks to pay more for less.

I stand by my previous statement, the faster you realize that Disney's top brass is about making money first, serving the guests second. The faster you accept it, the faster you become ok with it, the calmer you'll be.
If you cannot accept that then you're in for a bumpy ride and future Disney trips might not be the best for you
We all hate it but unfortunately there really is no use in fighting it, I say with with no sarcasm or ill will
And for people that bring what would walt do and walt would be rolling in his grave, the era of walt Disney ended the day he died, so technically WDW never operated in walt's philosophy, as much as we would like to think that Roy would carry the banner, he was the money guy, he was old, he had retired and only came back to finish his brother's dream park.
It's a real peaceful place to still enjoy the parks and offerings knowing the priorities of the top brass.
Sadly, I do realize this, and once I get inside the bubble, it’s pretty easy to just let go and enjoy the magic. There’s always enough new things (and we don’t go often enough) that we’re usually too caught up in excitement to miss what’s not there. But up front, as I pay for it, it still gripes me. It’s not stopping me from planning for 2021 (c’mon Guardians!!), but I still don’t like paying more for less—doubt I ever will, Disney or otherwise.

Sadly, I do realize this, and once I get inside the bubble, it’s pretty easy to just let go and enjoy the magic. There’s always enough new things (and we don’t go often enough) that we’re usually too caught up in excitement to miss what’s not there. But up front, as I pay for it, it still gripes me. It’s not stopping me from planning for 2021 (c’mon Guardians!!), but I still don’t like paying more for less—doubt I ever will, Disney or otherwise.
I get you completely, I am in a unique situation that I live here so, financially it makes more sense for me to pay $50 a month for an annual pass than to spend money on concerts, sports venues and other activities. Once that aspect goes away where I see that what I'm spending more than what I'm getting I will stop going, the magic is still there, after visiting the parks several times a week for 20 years, I still feel it, so, as of now it's still worth it to me.

I get you completely, I am in a unique situation that I live here so, financially it makes more sense for me to pay $50 a month for an annual pass than to spend money on concerts, sports venues and other activities. Once that aspect goes away where I see that what I'm spending more than what I'm getting I will stop going, the magic is still there, after visiting the parks several times a week for 20 years, I still feel it, so, as of now it's still worth it to me.
I agree with you, there is still magic and we will keep going. I am not local, but get an AP and still find it worthwhile to visit twice a year. If I didn’t have a Disney trip to look forward to my daydreaming would be cut down immensely.

I suspect this was intended to be a rotation more than a cut; other pavilions (Morocco, Canada, Germany) have seen more frequent changes in acts. On the one hand, that's sad--I loved Off Kilter and Mo'Rockin'--but I also enjoy getting to see new things each trip.

However, now that the Parks are closed worldwide, I suspect we will see a *lot* of reductions going forward.

I suspect this was intended to be a rotation more than a cut; other pavilions (Morocco, Canada, Germany) have seen more frequent changes in acts. On the one hand, that's sad--I loved Off Kilter and Mo'Rockin'--but I also enjoy getting to see new things each trip.

However, now that the Parks are closed worldwide, I suspect we will see a *lot* of reductions going forward.

But the thing is we are NOT getting to see continuous "fresh" new Acts on The Mill Stage.

It has evolved into basically a "rotation" of Bodh'aktan,Raffy,Suroît,Blueberry Grass Band and Canadian Holiday Voyageurs.

My question to Disney has always been why not let Off Kilter into that basic 5 band rotation?

Would fill up a few weeks of the schedule each year and would be GREAT PR for Epcot!

But they seem to have no interest in doing so.

Doesn't make any sense to me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter