Morveryn's trip report PART 1: 10-12th June

Morveryn

Mumketeer
Pics to follow later folks! :flower:
Cast: Morveryn 32 (me!) mad for chocolate, Disney & shopping.
DH 33, Star Wars nut. Has to video everything.
DD 3 & a half, Disney mad!

Friday 10th

We get up at the ungodly hour of 2am to drive to Exeter airport for 4.30am check in giving me plenty of time to deal with irritable husband & daughter, I of course am an absolute angel at this time of the morning ;) .
We arrive at the airport to find people already queuing & we wait with them. The Flybe check in staff finally arrive at 4.55am. Nobody is very impressed with this as it is very early & we are all tired. We are less impressed when told to, 'make sure you are queuing correctly', by one of the (late) staff! We eventually board the plane & it leaves at 7.04am instead of 6.30, but that’s ok we have loads of time.
After arriving at CDG terminal 1 we follow the instructions given to us by Cresta to find the VEA bus stop. They turned out be wrong & we only found it by chance. We later notice that the correct information is on the actual bus ticket itself :rolleyes:. The VEA is 35 minutes late & I am feeling rough from having to sit in a windy, shaded area. The bus takes about 50 minutes to get to the Explorers.
At the Explorers check in is very fast & our room is ready so we go & quickly unpack & pick up our tickets then head off to Disneyland Park. There was a problem with our Tea Party tickets for today & they weren't there so the Explorer staff try to rearrange this for us for the next day. Luckily we hadn't told DD as we wanted it to be a surprise. We decide to head to Discoveryland on the railroad as DH is desperate for Star Tours & Star Wars merchandise. We enjoy the railroad trip very much. There is a short wait of about 10 minutes for Star Tours & we all enjoy it :teeth: . We go to Star Traders & DH is disappointed at the lack of available merchandise. We visit Disney Studios & Disney Village at a later time & find the same thing there, a few figures, a Chewbacca water pistol & a model of the Star Tours 'shuttle'. After this DD wants to go on Orbitron but there is a huge queue & it is very hot. I suggest the Lion King show & send DH off to get tickets while DD & I sit & have a drink & a rest. After about 20 minutes he returns & we decide to go & get something to eat from the Cafe Hyperion (fast food, but nice). We go & sit at one of the tables in the back half of the theatre, then move to the front when the show is going to start. We all LOVE the Lion King show! It was great, so good in fact we return to see it again later in our stay. One thing I should point out, you only need tickets for the front half of the theatre with no tables. Not the back half with the tables. After this we are all very tired so we stroll back through the park & look in a few shops along the way then get the pink bus back to the Explorers where we look around & have tea then fall into bed tired but glad to be here.
The Explorers pirate:
Is a smaller than I expected. I got the impression it was HUGE! It is a big hotel but not that big. We had a standard room, it had a double bed & two single beds. Bed linen was white. I can understand that they can see how clean it is but it seemed a little clinical. Rooms & hotel in general seemed very clean & food was good & reasonably priced. There was a higher priced restaurant called The Captains Library but we didn't eat in there. Pizzas from Marco's in the hotel are excellent! Breakfast is absolute bedlam. Not enough staff clearing tables. We came to the conclusion that they all went and hid at breakfast time & I don't blame them! I think this really lets the Explorer down. Swimming pool was nice with a toddler area perfect for DD. The ship slide was fully functional but the Dragon slide was closed off & unusable. DD enjoyed playing in 'The Seven Sea Raider', a ship play area which was half in the pool area & half on dry land in the hotel. The hotel had a 'kids club' which turned out to be an amusement arcade in which the rides & games were operated by tokens. The token machine was broken & we reported this three times but it never worked while we were there.

Sat 11th
I wake up to DH & DD both snoring :rolleyes: . I ease my legs over the edge of the bed & bang my leg on the wooden frames surrounding the bed. This was to cause DH much hilarity as I managed to bang my legs or foot everyday we were there :rotfl2: . I jump in the shower & switch it on & prepare to be invigorated, what I actually get is a face full of water as there is a large hole in the shower hose! My half drowned squeals wake DH (& probably most of our floor!). I decide to take a bath which is very nice. Go down to brekkie & feel terrified! Felt a little better as I remembered reading on here where everything was so we grabbed a bit of everything & had our breakfast. We stopped by reception to report broken shower hose & see if they had sorted out our tickets for our Tea Party which was supposed to have happened yesterday. They still aren't sure what’s going on but tell us to stop by Donald’s Desk when we get to DLP. We head out to the bus stop & prepare ourselves for the manic crush that follows when the bus arrives! A note on buses - the pink shuttle buses are very frequent, we never waited longer then 3-5 minutes for one. In the mornings the buses were very busy & let many people on. Some days there were lots of people standing & babies in pushchairs as well. I wondered what would happen in the case of an accident. I always walk with a stick & we probably got to sit about 40% of the time we were there. Luckily the journey is only about 5 mins.
We walk to DLP & along the way notice the large rectangular grids/drain covers in the floor. The size of the square holes in the grid was quite large, large enough for my stick to go down to I had to take great care to walk around them. I also notice in the parks that several of the 'post holes' for putting up posts for the parades,etc had not had there covers replaced, again this could be very dangerous for a person walking with a crutch or stick if their stick went down the hole. We go to Donald’s Desk to collect our tickets, wait for 25 minutes eventually get our Tea Party tickets & discover they are for yesterday. No problem! The CM quickly gets us some new tickets for today. Cresta had given us the wrong information.
After entering the park we hire a stroller for DD to save her getting too tired & then head over to guest services & enquire about a Guest Assistance Card. I feel incredibly guilty doing this as this is my first trip away as a disabled person (I have Rheumatoid Arthritis) & am still coming to terms with the fact that I can't walk far, do as much as I used to, etc. The CM at the desk is very nice & asks me if I have a letter from my Dr or proof of my disability, he says that he is sorry to ask but they have had a number of people abusing the system. I show him my Blue Badge & he gives me the GAC, which is a blue piece of paper & I have to sign it after he has explained its use to me. It is good for the duration of our stay but is only for DLP. If we go to Disney Studios I will need to show my Blue Badge there to obtain a GAC for there. The GAC entitles me & 3 other people (there are only 3 of us in total in our party) to follow the disabled signs for attractions/rides or wait by the exit until directed by a CM as to what to do/where to go. It also lets me sit in the disabled areas during the parade & points out which attractions may or may not be suitable. It does not entitle me or my party to ride or enter an attraction ahead or anyone else without waiting but my experience was that when I used it none of the CMs made me wait more than one ride. I only used it on rides & attractions that had a wait time of more than 20 minutes.
After leaving here there are several characters around so DH takes DD to see them & queue for Goofy while I sit on the seats & listen to the band that is playing. Goofy steals DD's hat & plays with it much to her amusement. Fantasyland next! We go through the castle & enjoy the changing window inside. By this time it is getting close to lunch time & we have done hardly anything! It is hot & very busy. I seem to be wielding the 'stick of invisibility' as people keep walking into me much to my annoyance. After Snow white (wait time 15mins) DD heads straight for Dumbo which has a 60min wait time :earseek: . We decide to use the GAC for the first time & are unsure what to do. We walk to the exit & show the CM the GAC & he tells us to wait, then lets us on the next ride. DH films us while we wave. DD enjoys Dumbo very, very much! We 'do' Pinocchio which only had a short wait of 15 min & grab some delicious hot dogs for lunch. We head over to Peter Pan but DD doesn't want to go on today so we go over to Its a Small World which had a 10min wait. We enjoy this but I can't help thinking they all look a bit 'chucky' & I wouldn't want to be stuck in there at night! I remember that Alice's Labyrinth is closing soon so we visit that as far as the castle. DD doesn't wan to go further as it its busy. She enjoyed the 'jumping' water here, especially when DH lifted her up so she could touch it. We wander back through to Discoveryland & DD meets Stitch who is very naughty! They guy at Donald’s Desk & our Tea Party tickets said get there early so we arrive at 4pm for our 4.30 party. We can't go in yet so we go & watch part of the parade. We come back at 4.20 & still can't go in so we sit in the sun on the seats outside Plaza Gardens. At just after 4.25 hundreds of people turned up & began queuing for the Tea Party so we join them. We are let in & shown to our table at 4.40pm. Not a long wait but I can't stand for long without it causing me pain. The selection of food is great for kids, lots of cakes, jelly, mousse & snacks. DH & DD go to pick out food & wait at the table. They return with a selection of sponge cakes, muffins, custard tart, apple tart, brownies, iced cakes & three chocolate mousses, one for each of us. DD eats all 3 mousses! The cakes & tarts I tried were very nice!
Lots of characters there, Pinocchio & Gepetto, Sheriff of Nottingham, Captain Hook, Minnie Mouse, Friar Tuck, Tweedle Dum & Tweedle Dee, Foxy character from Pinocchio whose name eludes me & a few more I can't remember right now. We take lots of pictures & DD hugs & kisses all the characters & gets to dance with Pluto. We head back to Main Street where we browse the shops & buy DD a few small toys & some Pluto ears.
We head out of the park & go into Disney Village where our bag was glanced into (I can't really say it was searched!) by security staff. We have a look around buy more stuff & go back to hotel & have tea there, where I share chicken nuggets & chips with DD as nobody is very hungry after all that delicious cake!
We go to the Disney shop in the hotel & purchase some Sprite & postcards, then return to our room. DD watches a few cartoons on Boomerang then goes to bed as she is tired , I read & DH edits video on the laptop.

Sunday 12th
Feeling better about breakfast as we know where everything is, we sweep in grabbing pain-au-chocolate, rolls, cheese, ham & yoghurt. After we go to brave the bus crush. We notice that the bus passes a field which always appears to be full of rabbits which we point out to DD to much squealing of 'bunny, bunny!' DH being a bit jaded jokes that the rabbits are Disney property & if we try to photograph them a CM will jump out & charge us 10 euros! :rolleyes:
We head to Disney Studios today. We decide to get a stroller again for DD & then head to guest services to enquire about a GAC or the DS version of it. The female CM behind the desk eyes me with much suspicion making me feel uncomfortable so I show her my DLP GAC & my Blue Badge. She leans over the counter looks me up & down & notices my walking stick. She gives me a light green piece of paper which is the DS version of a GAC. I am relieved to leave there & read the terms of the GAC as they are different to DLP. It entitles me to wait out of line (on a seat) while the rest of my party queue via the normal route, when they reach they front of the line then I can join them & we can all enter the ride or attraction together. Sounds fair but I'm not sure I want to be parted from my family for 40-60 minutes or however long it may be. A CM sees me reading & comes over to explain that they don't often stick to those terms & I will probably find it works similarly to DLP. We enter the Studio 1 area & decide to look in the shops on our way out. DD is very keen on getting an airbrush tattoo & we say we'll think about it for later. We wander through the Studios looking around, enjoying the weather & taking a few snaps before deciding what to do. DH wants to do Armageddon so DD & I wait on some seats for him & sometimes DD dances to the music that is playing. DH returns & says he enjoyed it but was disappointed with the 'vacuum'. Not sure what he expected....perhaps everyone to be sucked form the room? :earboy2: Cruellas show was just starting so we go & watch this DD wasn't too sure what to make of it but we thought it was ok. Hot Dogs for lunch (again-lol) here, very delicious! After lunch we headed over to Animagique where a nice CM let us sit in the disabled seating area so I did not have to go up or down any stairs. I did not have to show him my GAC. We all enjoy Animagique & are singing the tune for the rest of the day! DD is feeling a little 'ride withdrawal' as she hadn't been on anything yet so we go to Flying Carpets Over Agrabah where there is a brief wait of about 8 mins. We like this ride, much the same as Dumbo. DD seems to think Dumbo is faster & goes higher. Who am I to argue with a 3 year old? :teeth: DH says he isn't bothered about R&R much to my surprise as we both liked this at MGM. I decide not to go on it due to my health, though I wonder if a few good spins & shakes might straighten out stiff joints! ;) There was no waiting for R&R. DD has heard about Catastrophe Canyon & is keen to try it out so we walk to the Studio Tram Tour ride. There is a 45 min wait so we walk down the exit & show the CM the GAC & he shows me to a seat. He tells me to wait for the next train. This is the only time I use the GAC in DS. We board the train & DH pulls me up & I am aware of people behind me frowning as I am not going very fast. We enjoy seeing the props from films & TV shows. DD likes Catastrophe Canyon but not the fire. I like it all! As the train leaves this area I remember reading about seeing part of a set from the film Reign of Fire & get worried about DD so I pull her over to me & explain to her what is going to happen. The big jet of fire comes out & we giggle, but she is not amused. She doesn't cry or anything like that but she doesn't like very loud noises or fire. With that in mind we give the Moteurs show a miss & have an ice cream then we go to watch the parade which is excellent & I learn that DH has a 'thing' for Elastigirl :rolleyes: . We were right at the end & had lots of character interaction. Cinemagique next which we all like. Very funny, good fun trying to remember all the names of the films in the clips.
With DD in one arm & me in the other DH quickly got through the crowd leaving Cinemagique. With DD strapped in her stroller we browsed the shops in Studio 1 & buy a few small items. We give in & let DD get an airbrush tattoo & she chooses a small design made up of several hearts to go on her arm. The tattoo cost 6 euros & lasted about 4 days, through baths & showers & several swims in the pool. It takes about 3 minutes to apply it & she is thrilled as the CM who applied it also puts glitter on it for her. :cloud9:
Feeling a little tired & peckish I suggest going into Disney Village where we go to The Rainforest Cafe & have a lovely meal in a wonderful setting. DD was amazed to see al the animals 'come to life' & was surprised by the thunderstorm! After this we resist the urge to buy more stuff & head back to the bus stop passing some guys selling tacky Eiffel Towers & dodgy looking battery operated cats & rabbits. Back at the hotel I write postcards before going to sleep.

Great trip report, Morveryn! It's weird to think that we were there at the same time. When I was reading this, I kept thinking "Ooh, we were in so-and-so when Morveryn was doing that!" Hehe!

I'm intrigued about this "changing window" inside the castle. What's that then? We must've missed that!

I was amused by the security check upon entering Disney Village. I could definitely have stashed a few guns and things in the bottom of my bag and they wouldn't have found them!

The CM at WDS sounds horrible. How rude of her! :( It does sound like the GAC was very useful for you though, which is great. You're entitled to it so don't be ashamed of using it, that's what I say! If it's painful for you to wait in queues then you should definitely use it. :cheer2:

Looking forward to the next installment! :teeth:

Very interesting and detailed trippie Morveryn - thanks a lot. Looking forward to the next installment(s) and the piccies!!! :teeth:

Bonnie said:
Great trip report, Morveryn! It's weird to think that we were there at the same time. When I was reading this, I kept thinking "Ooh, we were in so-and-so when Morveryn was doing that!" Hehe!

I'm intrigued about this "changing window" inside the castle. What's that then? We must've missed that!

I was amused by the security check upon entering Disney Village. I could definitely have stashed a few guns and things in the bottom of my bag and they wouldn't have found them!

The CM at WDS sounds horrible. How rude of her! :( It does sound like the GAC was very useful for you though, which is great. You're entitled to it so don't be ashamed of using it, that's what I say! If it's painful for you to wait in queues then you should definitely use it. :cheer2:

Looking forward to the next installment! :teeth:

If you go into the Castle & face towards Main Street when you look up at the main oval shaped window it changes from 2 doves to a rose. Very pretty.
We chuckled at the 'security' too. They never checked right to the bottom or all the pockets.
I think the CM was just doing her job really as I remembered what the DLP CM had said about people trying falsely get a GAC. I hope none of those people ever has a real problem. The problem is I look quite young & healthy & its only the stick that gives people a clue so its difficult to make people understand sometimes.
Bonnie your report is great I have just read it & you did so much! I don't know how you managed to fit it all in :rotfl: .

Great report, Morveryn!

Can I ask, did you book through Cresta to fly from Exeter? We only live 2 miles from it (hope you waved at me ;) ) and it would be ideal for us. The flights to Paris only started recently so I've no idea if this will be an option ot not with most tour ops.

Looking forward to the next instalment, great start :)

Miffy2003 said:
Great report, Morveryn!

Can I ask, did you book through Cresta to fly from Exeter? We only live 2 miles from it (hope you waved at me ;) ) and it would be ideal for us. The flights to Paris only started recently so I've no idea if this will be an option ot not with most tour ops.

Looking forward to the next instalment, great start :)

Yes booked through Cresta & they were able to sort it so we flew from Exeter.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter