music practice or thin walls at AKV?

DVCkidsMOM

DIS Veteran
We would like DD to continue to practice clarinet during our afternoon breaks on vacation. We are not sure if this is an option, though, since we don't want to wake our neighbors if they are napping. At home, she can practice in a room with the door shut and, while we can hear that she is practicing, it isn't loud. I'm worried that sound might carry differently or walls may be less sturdy at AKV. How much noise carries between villas at AKV? Do you think practicing in the middle of our 1BR would be OK or would it disturb neighbors? Is there anywhere that she could practice other than our villa? I know we might just have to get behind in practice, but she has an audition shortly after we return home so we'd like her to practice if reasonable. Thanks for any ideas.

I would ask the resort where the best place would be and I wouldn't practice in the room.

:earsboy: Bill

We would like DD to continue to practice clarinet during our afternoon breaks on vacation. We are not sure if this is an option, though, since we don't want to wake our neighbors if they are napping. At home, she can practice in a room with the door shut and, while we can hear that she is practicing, it isn't loud. I'm worried that sound might carry differently or walls may be less sturdy at AKV. How much noise carries between villas at AKV? Do you think practicing in the middle of our 1BR would be OK or would it disturb neighbors? Is there anywhere that she could practice other than our villa? I know we might just have to get behind in practice, but she has an audition shortly after we return home so we'd like her to practice if reasonable. Thanks for any ideas.

Good for your daughter! DS is now a professional musician, but when he was in school and we went to WDW, he brought his trumpet and practiced every day. Boy was I surprised! But he recited some quote by Dizzy Gillespie(?) about practicing, something about 1 day you notice, 2 days your band notices, 3 days the public notices. Anyways, he had a trumpet mute, so it was pretty quiet. Does the clarinet have anything like that? If not, it sounds like practicing in the middle of the room might be OK. Otherwise, there's always the balcony! There's a real cute video on youtube about a jazz group stopping on the countryside, playing for cows, who are fascinated by the music. Or maybe she could get some experience playing before people and go practice in the lobby, especially if she can "play the sunset" a-la A. Belk.

Please not on the balcony! You could have her try the middle of the bedroom while you go out in the hallway to see if the sound comes through. I know if I was trying rest in our villa and heard someone practicing, I might be a little annoyed. I'm glad you're concerned about it and hope you find a solution.

Since it's AKV, I wouldn't practice on the balcony as it would be likely to disturb the animals (even if you're not on the Savannah). I'd call the resort and ask - I'm sure they get questions like this! Kidani has a member lounge area near the lobby that I believe is closed off from the hall and not too close to other rooms - maybe she could practice there? Alternatively, get to know your neighbors and find out when they'll be out of their room - I know we spend most of the day away from the resort so afternoon practices wouldn't bother us! :thumbsup2

I agree - please do not allow practicing in the rooms. What doesn't sound loud to you is still different because it is part of your day and expected because of what you know she is trying to accomplish. To other guests it only will be noise disrupting their vacation. You should check with AKV if there is any place they could suggest to practice without disturbing people but they may not have any options.

On a funny note - when I was selecting an instrument for band I was prohibited from 2 options by my dad. One was the drums. The other was the clarinet. My sister had played one and he felt he had listened to it enough. ;)

We won't noise pollute the balcony - no worries. We will ask at the resort and see what we can do. If all else fails, we can drive around with her in the car :lmao: Thanks for all the ideas.

The master bathroom with the door closed might be a good location. There is also a hallway just to the left of the entrance to Sanaa. That area is probably fairly empty mid-day and may be a good location. You could probably go out by the tennis courts, but it may be hideously hot. Somewhere in the garage under the building may be a good outdoor location, as well, but the smell of exhaust may be a little too much.

Clarinets are usually not too loud until you get into those upper ranges. Maybe she can work on mastering the skill and control of playing pianissimo while on vacation!

I'm interested to see what they'll say at the resort. I'm sure they'll tell you to do whatever you want. LOL

But I do tend to agree about practicing in the rooms. Also, I'm a music player, practicing music never sounds pleasant to other people, even when you're good at what you do. If you're actually practicing, you're working on scales, parts and bits of pieces of songs, etc. Rare that you play a whole song from beginning to end unless you're working on that piece in its totality. LOL It's usually repetition of something over and over. Not pleasant.

But I hope she finds a place that isn't an issue. :)

Too bad you are not staying a BWV. She could go out to the Boardwalk and become part of the entertainment. Have a wonderful vacation.

Agree with ask the resort. One thought - how about the Kidani Village gazebo over by the tennis courts. Rarely anyone over there.

Too bad you are not staying a BWV. She could go out to the Boardwalk and become part of the entertainment. Have a wonderful vacation.

Actually that's kind of what DS did when we went to WDW. We were staying at BWV in a BW view, so he had no hesitation about going out on the balcony. And one day he even went down to the Boardwalk and played.

Being a musician myself, I can totally understand your desire, and your daughter's desire to practice, practice, practice!

A few things to consider....

1) Sound bounces off solid surfaces. The more soft surface there is, the less the sound will travel. That being said, hang as many clothes in the closet, take a few clothes pins and pin the music to the clothes, and have her sit in front of the open closet to practice.

2) Practice time doesn't have to involve an instrument! Reading academic journals, clinician research on playing techniques, listening to masterworks while reviewing the conductor's score listening for your instrument's part, OR reading music for dynamics, breathing, and other detail are all great alternatives when you can't have an instrument in your hands.

3) They DO make clarinet mutes, just Google and see if you can find a set in your budget!

4) You can make a very inexpensive practice cubby out of the tri-fold cardboard display boards (think science fair display) and quilt batting. This is an option of you are driving or will have a vehicle while you are there.

5) Contact a local music store or University or College and see if an instructor would be available for a few hours for a master class. A few hours of practice on one afternoon with an excellent musician could be better than an hour of practice every day! For $100 or so, your daughter could have a wonderful experience and go home with food for thought and additional skill. The more professional musicians she works with, the better her ability to take direction and artistic critique. (Often a major hole in the preparation/education of musicians!)

6) Finally, they do make an electronic instruments (yes, even clarinets!) which can be used with headphones for 100% silent practice!

I hope this was helpful or at least thought provoking!

PS....

My dream as a kid was to stay in a hotel room with a piano so I could practice!

HAHA :rolleyes1

It hasn't happened yet, but they do exist!

There are suites at the Swan & Dolphin that have Grand Pianos! HAHA :cloud9:

Agree with ask the resort. One thought - how about the Kidani Village gazebo over by the tennis courts. Rarely anyone over there.

Th.is is what the front desk suggested along with a CM bus stop in the parking lot at Jambo House but near KV. Both areas are removed, rarely see guests, and have covered gazebos.

PS....

My dream as a kid was to stay in a hotel room with a piano so I could practice!

HAHA :rolleyes1

It hasn't happened yet, but they do exist!

There are suites at the Swan & Dolphin that have Grand Pianos! HAHA :cloud9:

There's at least one suite in the Grand Floridian that has a piano. (Although its a smaller upright) I was actually somewhat suprised that VGF GV's had a media room instead of a music room (with a baby grand)

I LOVE hearing people play outdoors--in our small town high school students regularly set up in the town square and play!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter