My 73yr. old mother was diagnosed with

anny_c_99

Mouseketeer
Stage 3 breast cancer a month ago.

She has had a lumpectomy, with the removal of the sentinel lymph node (which had a tumor in it also), along with the removal of all of the lymph nodes under her right arm.

We returned home yesterday from a follow up appt. and removal of the drainage tube from the surgeons office...There was a third tumor in one of the other lymph nodes, that was removed.

She is now facing chemo, and radiation, but the ironic thing is, she had a mamogram 4 months ago, and they said it was fine. No signs of any tumors.

The surgeon said they had to have been there before, and were just not found...I don't know, everything is such a blur right now....trying to take all of this information in..

My mom has always been healthy, she doesn't take any kind of medication, except allergy meds, and there has never been any breast cancer in any of her family..

Please ladies, I know that Ocotber is breast cancer awareness month, but it is so important to do monthly self breast examinations.

Maybe if MOM had of done them, she would have found the lump sooner...It was already the size of a golf ball, when they removed it..

We are suppose to leave Sept 8th for Disney. I don't know if we are going to be able to keep that vacation or not..Thank God we bought trip insurance.

We are to go to the chemo and radiologist on the 28th, and they will tell us when she is to start her treatments...

Please keep her in your prayers, even though you don't know our names, lift us up as an unspoken request.

Thank you all so much,
Nancy

Nancy...I'm sorry about your mother's diagnosis. It is a grim reminder that mammography doesn't find everything, and self exam is an important tool.
It is positive news that your mom is in good health otherwise. Oncologists are much more "individualized" in developing treatment plans for breast cancer patients particular disease characteristics and patients' personal characteristics. It's a fight your mom can win, always have hope and faith.

There is a great website www.breastcancer.org

There's also a great thread on the DIS COmmunity Board of survivors...and family/friends of survivors as well. Some post regularly, others come and go, but there's always someone around if you have questions, need support, etc. You are MOST welcome to jump in there (just pop in at the end, it's a loooong thread, been going for over 2 years!....here's a linkhttp://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=810357&page=453&pp=15

Hugs to your Mom....hopefully she will go through treatment and do well and you can put this behind you. Thanks for reminding us all about the self exams...they are so important..

You Nhann and Mackey Mouse for your kind words of encouragement.

We are keeping our chins up and hope in our hearts.:goodvibes

I am a two years br cancer survivor. I was 41. I am now 44. There are new advances everyday. I will keep you in my prayers.:wizard:

Nancy, :hug:

I'm so sorry your mom is having to face this. Sending prayers you way. :angel:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter