• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

My brief takes on the Disney Wish: Part I

MinnesotaMouseketeers

DIS Veteran
DW, DS (adult), and I were on the Wish over Christmas. We knew we wanted to sail over Christmas, on the Disney Wish but not for the short cruise duration that is sails. So we did our first ever B2B sailing; four night followed by the three night cruise that was over the holiday. This was DW's and my 11th and 12th cruise so we finally have sailed as a Platinum CC member!!! DS is finally sailing as a Gold CC member.

Because the first thing you see of the Wish when boarding is the Grand Hall lets start there. I have read comments (some of them from released pictures before they were accepting guests) that it is so boring, it's just painted white. I thought it was beautiful, from the chandelier, the sweeping staircase, the stained-glass, the LED lights that sparkle across the ceiling and down the walls and pillars, to the bronze statue of Cinderella, we thought it was beautiful. For the people that couldn't believe that DCL would put a slide in the Grand Hall as an alternate way for the children to get to the Kids Club. Not once did I find it distracting and it was actually fun to see the excitement from the kids when they went to check in there. And I would recommend that you go into the Grand Hall once during your cruise just before midnight (before the clock strikes midnight) for the short light show. I am very much a morning person but am glad I took the time to check it out.

We had a Family sized stateroom with verandah, it was nice having a larger room with three adults. While I do think that there was less drawer space, between the drawers there are and shelves in the closets and hanging up some clothes we had enough places to store our clothes.

Even if you're not directionaly challenged it can/will be difficult navigating your way around a ship you've haven't been on before. The Wish is no exception. And the shorter the cruise, the less time you have to become acquainted with her. And I do agree that there does seem to be more dead ends on the Wish than the other DCL ships. But hopefully; if you run into the same dead end twice it will then be ingrained in your memory and you will avoid it a third time. And you do have the layout for each deck on your phone.

I'm in full agreement that the the promenade deck is all messed up. When I'm on one of the other ships I am out there regularly walking laps. I have no problems with steps so having to climb them at the bow of the ship wasn't the problem. But between them and the fact that it wasn't a full oval track seemed to make me disinterested in getting out there. I'm interested to know what joggers think of the Wish's promenade. And just so you know you can get up to the bow of the ship. And if you want raise your arms and yell "I'm King/Queen of the world".

There is a thread that had been going about how horribly uncomfortable the seats are in the theater. We went to all three shows in the Walt Disney Theater. And we saw two movies, one in the Neverland Cinema and one in the Wonderland Cinema. None of us had a single problem with the comfort of the seats in any of the theaters. Including after having sat through the THREE hour Avatar movie.
And as a side note: the shows in Walt Disney Theater were fun and the performers were as great as ever. But I don't believe I need to see them again in future.

And the elevators are messed up. I don't mind the fact that they didn't have a bank of them mid-ship. But the touch-less key pad is truly a pain. There were many times when it would not light up the floor number when placing your finger near the button. But the keypad was really good at knowing when someone stepped in close to them when allowing other people onto the elevator, I having done that early into the cruise and having seen many others do the same thing throughout the cruise.

I'm going to stop for now. Plan on getting into the food/bar side of things next.

Thanks for sharing! Looking forward to hearing about the food. Love to know more about how the B2B experience was, we are doing the same for the same reason.

Did you like the Little mermaid? It’s the first DCL musical Ive seen that was underwhelming.

Thanks for sharing! Looking forward to hearing about the food. Love to know more about how the B2B experience was, we are doing the same for the same reason.
If the only way you see yourself doing a 3 night or 4 night cruise is by taking a B2B cruise to extend your cruise vacation, DW and I think it is totally worth it and we would encourage it.

On the last night of the first leg or your B2B cruise; you will receive an envelope in your stateroom with instructions on what you need to do the following morning. Included with the instructions is an Orange card that you will need to take with you when you disembark. It also includes instructions for the restaurant you will go to and the time. You don't have to be off the ship until 9:30 so after breakfast you can sit back and relax while all the other passengers disembark.

What is really nice is; you don't need to take anything with you that you done want to carry. Just leave it in your stateroom. Assuming you didn't request a stateroom change for the second half your your trip. There is a designated area in the terminal for B2B passengers to sit while waiting for the announcement that it is time to walk up the ramp to start Part II of your cruise vacation. This is where you will need to hand off your orange card to the CM before heading up the ramp.

Also, we did have to leave the building and walk back around to the security check-in before going to the assigned seating area. So make sure you have all the appropriate identification for all the people in your party.

If I forgot anything hopefully someone will chime in with a post to include what I missed.

If the only way you see yourself doing a 3 night or 4 night cruise is by taking a B2B cruise to extend your cruise vacation, DW and I think it is totally worth it and we would encourage it.

On the last night of the first leg or your B2B cruise; you will receive an envelope in your stateroom with instructions on what you need to do the following morning. Included with the instructions is an Orange card that you will need to take with you when you disembark. It also includes instructions for the restaurant you will go to and the time. You don't have to be off the ship until 9:30 so after breakfast you can sit back and relax while all the other passengers disembark.

What is really nice is; you don't need to take anything with you that you done want to carry. Just leave it in your stateroom. Assuming you didn't request a stateroom change for the second half your your trip. There is a designated area in the terminal for B2B passengers to sit while waiting for the announcement that it is time to walk up the ramp to start Part II of your cruise vacation. This is where you will need to hand off your orange card to the CM before heading up the ramp.

Also, we did have to leave the building and walk back around to the security check-in before going to the assigned seating area. So make sure you have all the appropriate identification for all the people in your party.

If I forgot anything hopefully someone will chime in with a post to include what I missed.
What did you get to do when you got back on? Did it feel like a wasted morning?

Did you like the Little mermaid? It’s the first DCL musical Ive seen that was underwhelming.
As always I love the Disney performers and the sets are always impressive. I don't think DCL can find a better cast than the people they have performing every night on all five ships. This also includes the CM that work behind the scenes to make each performance happen. The problem for me is when they take a well known Disney cartoon and shrink it down to a about an hour. They have to leave too much out and make too big of adjustments to the storyline in order to make it work live on stage in the short amount of time allowed. Hope that makes sense.

While I am glad I saw both Disney's "Little Mermaid" and "Aladdin"; for me it is probably one and done. But I do highly recommend to people that have yet to see the shows to go and see them. I would hate for someone to skip out of the shows based on my or anyone else's opinion. Of one thing I'm sure of, there are many people out there that love one or both of these two show.

Shows like "Disney Seas the Adventure" are more to my liking, where they pick characters and songs from multiple cartoons and movies and perform them.

What did you get to do when you got back on? Did it feel like a wasted morning?
This is the one problem for us and doing a B2B cruise. After breakfast there really isn't anything to do but find someplace to sit and people watch until you have to get off the ship. We wanted to personally give the tip envelopes to our servers the last night of the cruise but forgot them in the stateroom. So we decided to go to our assigned restaurant at the stated time. And because we had Main/Early dining for our rotation we had to get up very early to make it to breakfast to see our servers one last time.

Then you go to the designated area in the terminal and wait some more until the announcement is made that people doing B2B can board the ship. I believe it is typically around 11:00. Unfortunately we were told that because of some computer glitch we would be delayed getting back on. It ended up being about a 40-45 minute delay.

So between getting up really early for breakfast followed by waiting in The Bayou until we had to be off the ship and then sitting in the terminal waiting for the annnouncement that we could board the ship again. It did feel like a very long morning!

As always I love the Disney performers and the sets are always impressive. I don't think DCL can find a better cast than the people they have performing every night on all five ships. This also includes the CM that work behind the scenes to make each performance happen. The problem for me is when they take a well known Disney cartoon and shrink it down to a about an hour. They have to leave too much out and make too big of adjustments to the storyline in order to make it work live on stage in the short amount of time allowed. Hope that makes sense.

While I am glad I saw both Disney's "Little Mermaid" and "Aladdin"; for me it is probably one and done. But I do highly recommend to people that have yet to see the shows to go and see them. I would hate for someone to skip out of the shows based on my or anyone else's opinion. Of one thing I'm sure of, there are many people out there that love one or both of these two show.

Shows like "Disney Seas the Adventure" are more to my liking, where they pick characters and songs from multiple cartoons and movies and perform them.
I like Frozen, Beauty and the Beast and Tangled a lot more. I'd like to give the Wish a second chance when prices come down. Maybe a three day combined with WDW, but it may be a few years.

On a lot of the ships, the B2B cruisers utilize the pools while other cruisers wander around with luggage while trying to figure out the lay of the land.
If you have to stand in line at customs for two hours because DCL"s system crashes it feels like a wasted morning. I know that is not the norm. I've had really bad embarkation experiences since the restart... I won't even go into how bad they've been and were platinum. I'm hoping the pearl status improves things.

Thanks for the review. We are 2 Platinum (almost Pearl) adults sailing next week so I am very interested in your review. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter