• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

My broken leg and my upcoming WDW vacation...

Janet2k

DIS Veteran

Oct 3, '03: Just thought I would update the title of this thread since my vacation is definitely on. I added an update on Page 2.

- - - - - - -
Well, I see that my dear, dear friend Minybear has posted about my situation in another thread, so I suppose I should come out of the closet and admit that it was me she was speaking about. :D

A few weeks ago, I sprained one of my ankles, and in the process of attempting to catch my balance as I was falling, I broke the other one. I have a metal plate, a wire, and quite a few screws in my leg (two of which run from one side of my leg to the other). The healing process has been painful. I am currently only taking a blood thinner (I won’t take the pain medication anymore since it made me very ill). I cannot put any weight on my leg for a minimum of three months (if I’m lucky). I use a walker in my home (I actually “hop” with it since I cannot put any weight on my broken leg), and a wheelchair when I venture outdoors (it is painful keeping my leg propped up while I’m in the wheelchair).

My upcoming WDW vacation is in jeopardy. My surgeon has already suggested that I cancel it. I told her that I haven’t been on a vacation since last year and I really, really don’t want to cancel this one (I’ve worked 12-14 hour days for months & months, and the only thing that has kept my sanity is the thought of two glorious weeks in WDW). She mentioned to me that by the time of my vacation, I might be in a removable cast (I still will not be able to place any weight on my leg, but I can remove the cast for sleeping and showering). If I have a removable cast, then I could float in the swimming pool (I can’t tell you how glorious that sounds to me right now, ahhhhhhh!).

I have another doctor’s appointment soon, and hopefully I’ll get my stitches removed. I’ll also get another set of X-rays taken in order to see how my “bionic” hardware is holding up. I’m praying that everything will look good and my surgeon will tell me to keep my vacation plans intact, if I so choose.

Even if all goes well, I still have two big fears: blood clots and DVT (I think that’s what it’s called). From what my surgeon told me, I have to worry about blood clots and DVT for the entire time my leg is in a cast. I know that if I fly, the DVT will be a big worry for me. Since I live on the West Coast, my flight time to Orlando is quite a bit. There are never any non-stop flights from where I live, so I usually have at least two plane segments (sometimes, more). Traveling to Orlando always takes the better part of a full day.

As to what I planned to do while on vacation, pretty much nothing but vegging out. As I mentioned, I’ve been working 12-14 hour days for months & months (my company has had so many layoffs within the past three plus years that my work load has become insane). Several months ago, I told my husband and children that if they wanted to see me while on vacation, they better visit me at the swimming pool, as I had no plans to be anywhere else for at least the first week of vacation. Now I fear my feelings might change since I’ll have done nothing for several months prior to vacation but read & watch TV, arg! For my second week of vacation, my parents were going to join us, along with one of my best girlfriends. That week might have seen me venturing away from my resort a little more (but I still planned on spending some major time at the swimming pool). My guests are waiting on pins and needles regarding whether the vacation will be kept as is or cancelled (I should note that they’re all so very understanding and I don’t feel any added pressure from them to keep the vacation intact).

Several months ago, I pre-arranged some vacation activities: all three of the GF's children's activities (for my daughter), 999 Happy Haunts Event (for my family), Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party (for my family), Disney’s Spirit of Aloha dinner show (a group reservation for my family and guests and a few Dis’ers -- Minybear & her spouse included), the Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue dinner show (for my family), and a Reserve Dinner for the Food & Wine Festival (my husband & I are joining another Dis couple for this). I would love to squeeze in a dinner at Victoria & Albert’s for my husband and I (it’s a vacation tradition), however, I haven’t booked it yet. I might book a special dinner along the GF’s waterfront instead. We haven’t done anything like that yet in all of our WDW vacations, so I think it would be fun and probably easy to do with me in a wheelchair.

I should mention that I currently have the main building booked at the GF for the first week and a studio room booked at the BCV for the second week (if I keep my vacation, I should probably arrange for handicapped-accessible rooms at each resort). I am toying with the idea of spending the whole two weeks at the BCV so that I don’t have to resort hop (please note that my family usually resort hops on a majority of our WDW vacations so I don’t consider that much of an inconvenience).

Please don’t think I’m complaining. I would never dare do that since I have family and friends who love me no matter what. I guess I just need a little guidance from my fellow Dis’ers who can understand what I am going through and who can offer up their own experiences to me. Any information/opinions that you can pass along my way will definitely be appreciated. As you already know, (A) I am in pain (which hopefully will diminish); (B) I am incapacitated to an extent (need a wheelchair to move around); and (C) I am worried about blood clots, DVT, and flying (very worried about that). I look forward to hearing from you all.

Janet

Hi my good freind Janet2K. I hope our friends on the DIS can help you regarding your upcoming vacation. I put a link to my other post for those people to help you also.

I hope you decide to come to WDW. I would love to see you.
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
Minybear

Hi Janet

It seems, from your remarks, that you will be ready for your vacation when it comes up. I think that under the circumstances you should not cancel.

First thing is you should rent an ECV from an off-site company. For example, Walker is $30 per day with $199.50 for a week, and the price goes down for more than a week. They will have no problem dropping off at one location (GF) and picking up from another (BW). Also, you can get a crutches holder attached if you let them know. There are other off-site companies, but I will nto post them at this time.

I use an ECV on all my WDW visits. A couple of years ago our trip was coordinated with another family where the wife had multiple breaks of an ankle ten days before the trip. The only logistical problems we had was it was NOT possible to get six people and two ECVs in one car.

I don't think you will need an accessible room. Almost of of them are designed with a King bed and a roll-in shower. Housekeeping can provide a "bath seat" which allows you to sit down in a fairly standard height chair in the tub for taking a shower.

A last suggestion is to bring "Sharpie" markers with you to have characters autograph your cast and you will have an interesting souvenier of the trip.

Janet.
I was at WDW a week after my surgery much to my surgeon's dispair. I was held together with 2 plates and 16 screws. I went another 3 times over the 3 1/2months where I was non-weight bearing. Only on the last trip was I in a removable cast. That was also at a Tupperware convention as well.
I must say that Disney treated like royalty The provided a tub chair so I could shower. Plenty of pillows to elevate my leg. Also a frig for my sodas since I cannot use coke products at all and must use a brand that cannot be gotten onsite.
The first trip I had Keys to the Kingdom Tour and was really treated wonderfully by the tour guide as well as my interpreters who were constantly vigilant that no one hit my leg or wheelchair. I would rent a wheelchair from offsite that can elevate the leg and go for it. Its a few months away and your leg will be feeling better by then and you will be going stir crazy trust me on this.
Btw that removable cast was great once I got it. Floating in the pool was a real treat. One of the consultants saw me getting into the pool and turns out she was a nurse and everytime I went swimming during the convention she guided my leg into the pool and then helped me out. The bump down steps at All Star Music were great too. Easy ro manuever. Only time I had problems was when someone decided to use the top of the steps for their clothes. Someone always came and removed them including cast members when they saw the problem.
My trips to Disney saved my sanity.

That was nice of your friend, Minybear to aks some questions for you, but I'm glad you came out of the closet.:D
Sorry to hear about your injury and hope everything heals well and as quickly as possible.
Any information/opinions that you can pass along my way will definitely be appreciated. As you already know, (A) I am in pain (which hopefully will diminish); (B) I am incapacitated to an extent (need a wheelchair to move around); and (C) I am worried about blood clots, DVT, and flying (very worried about that). I look forward to hearing from you all.
You are right, they are called DVTs; that stands for Deep Vein Thrombosis and it's basically a blood clot in the veins of your legs. It's something to worry about any time that someone has had surgery involving the hips or knees or is immobile. Veins are the blood vessels that carry blood back toward the heart; your body uses the muscles moving in the legs as part of the way that blood is propelled back toward the heart. When you can't move your leg, the blood doesn't move as effeciently. The biggest problem isn't that the blood clot forms, it's what happens if a blood clot forms and then starts floating around in your bloodstream. Here's a
link to a site about DVTs and air travel. Anyone who travels on a long flight is theoretically at risk of a DVT, but people who already have risk factors are at higher risk. Also, because of your leg injury, you can't do the things that would normally be suggested to help prevent DVTS. Not having non stop flight might actually be better, since you at least would not be sitting so long at one stretch. Even if you can't bear weight, just standing up every few hours would be better than sitting for 6 hours straight . Maybe, at your next doctor visit, mention that and ask if there are any specific suggestions about how you can avoid DVTs while traveling.
Your walker can come on the plane with you; it may fit in the overhead bin or most flights hae a closet it should fit in. The wheelchair can be gate checked; ask when you first check in for your flight. They will give you a tag to put on the wheelchair, you can use the wheelchair to get onto the plane, then leave it at the door. They will load it with the luggage and bring it back to the door of the plane at your next stop. Make sure it is marked to be brought back for your connecting city and not the final destination.
The things you have planned for WDW sound very do-able for someone using a wheelchair. My recommendation would be to keep your resort plans as they are (rather than changing to all BC) since it sounds like a lot of your activities are at MK. The buses and monorails are wheelchair accessible, but it will be a little more time consuming to get back and forth from BC to MK than from GF to MK. The wheelchair accessible rooms will be good (although we have not stayed in the wheelchair accessible rooms in either resort). Someone who has, may have other advice. You will have toilet grab bars and the fully wheelchair accesible rooms have a roll in shower with a pull down seat. Housekeeping can get shower chairs.

If worse comes to worse and your doctor says it is too risky to fly, an alternative to consider might be a visit to Disney Land. I know it's not the same, but I'd hate to see someone who has worked 12-14 hour days lose their sanity because they can't get a little dose of Disney.;)

Your worst fear should be of getting a DVT. The risk should be
taken seriously. Do listen and take the advice of your doctor.
Flying for any length of time in cramped quarters can cause a
DVT to develop. I know scarificing a disney trip is a big deal, but
risking major health problems shouldn't be taken lightly. I have
a friend who recently flew from Mich. to Calif. and 1 week after
arriving suffered a slight stroke due to a clot. She was only in
her late 40s. Luckily she is okay now, but had to miss 3 months
of work to recover!!

Oh, my goodness, am I ever grateful to my fellow Dis'ers. You folks have given me much information to ponder. I just went to the DVT webpage and it scared me, to put it mildly. I am going to have to discuss DVT and blood clots in greater detail with my surgeon during my next appointment. I am hopeful that if I have a removable cast by the time my vacation rolls around, I might be able to perform some leg exercises while I am seated on the airplane (I also would definitely book at least two airline segments). Of course, I will have to discuss this in greater detail with my surgeon and my family before I can make an informed decision. I am the type of person who is extremely cautious. If I had to make the decision right now, the vacation would be cancelled. However, since the vacation is still a little over two months away, the risk for me might be neglible. And if that's the case, and if I take all the precautions that my surgeon prescribes (and believe me, I would follow her instructions to the letter), then maybe the vacation can go on as planned. I wish I had a crystal ball (or at least a Magic Eight Ball) right about now. ;)

Again, I can't thank you all enough for your help. If you have any further suggestions to offer, please post away. I am an information junkie. I need all the information that I can get my hands on so that once I've made my final decision, I can feel comfortable that I made it in the best way possible.

Oh, Janet, I've been so worried about you lately. I sure hope you have a quick recovery.

The best advise I can give you is to follow your heart. If you really have your heart set on going to WDW, I think you should still go. Even with a disability, a day (or couple weeks!) at Disney could sure help you feel much better.

Please keep us updated...

I just went to the DVT webpage and it scared me, to put it mildly.
I hope it scared you enough to help you and not scare you half to death (I try to avoid posting things that will scare people as much as possible):eek:
Anyway, I hope you are able to go, but if you and your doctor decide it is not a good idea rightnow, at least you had a lot of information to help you decide.

Janet2k

These folks on the DIS is great. Thanks for coming out of the closet :).

Minybear

PS Hi Cali.

Just about every day this week, I have seen a commercial on TV regarding DVT. The commercial states that more people die every year from DVT than breast cancer and AIDS combined (that sent a shockwave through my system). The commercial also gave a link to www.dvt.net, which I just went to and read.

This week's doctor's appointment was cancelled at the last minute (my surgeon had an emergency). I cried when it got cancelled (boy, was I looking forward to meeting with her). My next appointment isn't for several days. Nothing like being kept on pins and needles, eh? ;)

In the meantime, I now have a handicapped-accessible room reserved at the GF, and next week I will call Member Services in order to reserve one at the BCV. I still need to determine whether or not I should reserve an ECV or if I should stick with my wheelchair. I've never been on an ECV so I don't know how much of a hassle it might be to use and get around in. Maybe you folks can help me there. How do I move about the World with an ECV (buses, boats, taxi cabs, etc.)?

Okay, I read through just about every post that I could get my hands on in regards to ECVs. I think I now have a general idea as to how to go about moving about the World with one.

Originally posted by Janet2k
Okay, I read through just about every post that I could get my hands on in regards to ECVs. I think I now have a general idea as to how to go about moving about the World with one.
If you think of any mre questions, just keep posting them.
Here's some "no cancellations" Pixie dust. Sprinkle it in the general direction of your doctor's office early in the day before your next appointment (at least 3 hours ahead of time). ;)
Good luck and hope to hear that the doctor says it's OK to go.

I 2nd the "pixie dust" :). Good luck on your DR's appt. You have to be very careful with those DVT's. I don't want you or your family to go through what my DH's aunt is going through right now due to blood clots.

Oh My Janet, Don't have anything to add just wanted to send LOTS MORE PIXIE DUST*~*~*~*~*

My doctor’s appointment is coming up. Yahoo! I actually received a call from my doctor’s office the other day and I immediately said, “You are NOT calling to cancel again, ARE YOU?” The gentleman on the other end of the line, I am sure, had a heart attack when he heard my forceful question (can you tell that I do NOT want this appointment cancelled like the last one?! ;) ). Anyhow, he said that he was calling because my doctor wanted to move up my appointment by a few hours (phew!). I cannot wait to see her.

Disney’s “special needs” department (I’m not sure what it’s called officially) called me again today (I spoke with a very nice gentleman last week). The woman who I spoke with today really made me feel good about my (fingers-are-crossed-that-my-doctor-will-okay-my-traveling) upcoming WDW vacation. She said that I have a handicap-accessible room already designated for me at the Grand Floridian resort, and it has a roll-in shower with a pull-down shower seat. I have stayed in rooms similar to this already at OKW and BWV. No one in my party needed such a room at the time, we were just given one upon check-in. I should note that I did not have any problems with those handicap-accessible rooms, but I sometimes found that I had to put towels along the perimeter of the shower in order to keep the bathroom floor from becoming too slippery from the shower’s spillage (not a big deal).

I had a lot of questions for the woman today regarding all sorts of things. I told her that I have a group dining reservation for the new Luau dinner show at the Polynesian (my family is being joined by some Dis’ers), as well as a regular dining reservation for just my family at the Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue. She said that she would look up my reservations and make a note that I will be in a wheelchair. I was happy to hear that. I then told her that I will be attending both Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party and the 999 Happy Haunts event. I said that I wasn’t worried about Mickey’s Halloween party; however, I was a little concerned about the 999 Happy Haunts event because part of it was at the Coronado Springs Resort and the rest of it was at the Magic Kingdom. I told her that I was probably not going to attend the Coronado Springs Resort portion and join up instead with my family for the Magic Kingdom portion. She told me that I must attend both portions of the event and not let my disability hamper my fun. She went on to explain that the Disney buses that will be used to transport guests between the resort and the theme park will be able to accommodate me and my wheelchair/ECV, not to worry. She made a lot of sense and put me at ease. I think I will listen to her suggestion.

We then began talking about the Grand Floridian resort itself, and how all the restaurants will handle me and my disability just fine. I have personally stayed at the Grand Floridian a few times in the past, and I wasn’t too worried about this, still, it was nice to hear from her that I have nothing to fear.

I also mentioned to her that I am hoping to have a removable cast on my leg by the time of my vacation. Even though I will still not be able to put any weight on my leg at that point, I should be able to float in the swimming pool (yahoo!). I mentioned that the last time I was at the Grand Floridian, I noticed that there was some sort of railing in the deep end of the pool that I was hoping would allow me to easily get into and out of the pool on my own (or with the assistance of my husband). She reminded me that the pool also has a zero-depth entry area and the resort has a water wheelchair that I could use. She stated that I would sit in this wheelchair and it would be wheeled directly into the pool until I could float out of it. This water wheelchair stuff is all new to me, and so I ask you, my fellow Dis’ers, have any of you used such a wheelchair? I would love to hear first-hand how it works so as not to make a complete fool out of myself when I first attempt to use it (a girl has her vanity, after all ;) ).

Janet... dear Janet. More pixie dust to you from NJ!!! Your speedy healing is in my prayers. We just got back from WDW. My mom fell and broke her arm 3 days before we left! It couldn't be put in a cast, only a sling. Needless to say I was a frantic mother hen walking in front of her through the crowds. She was bumped many times, and was in a lot of pain.

I do hope you'll be able to take your trip... if you go, still be very careful while in your wheelchair. Folks in general are well meaning, but sometimes the excitement of rushing from 1 place to another causes bumps to occur. Many don't watch where they're walking until it's too late... I wouldn't want your foot to suffer any more damage.

Keep us posted.

bonzie is right about watching. People in wheelchairs and ecvs are "invisible" to most people and you will find people get very close to you becasue they are busy looking at something or trying to get to a line 2 seconds faster than anyone else.

Anyway, on your pool questions. We have never been lucky enough to be at a pool with a water wheelchair, but some disABILITIES Boards posters have and hopefully will be able to post about it. It's basically a wheelchair that won't be hurt by going into the water. With a zero entry pool, you just have someone push the wheelchair in until the water is deep enough for you to float, you get out of the chair and they wheel it back out. To get back in, just do the opposite. Anytime you are getting in or out of a wheelchair, make sure it is held stationary before you get in. I have seen people fall getting into "land" wheelchairs because they did not lock the brakes and it rolled away from them when they came into contact with it.

For the other way to access a wheelchair that you saw, I don't kow the actual name of it, but It's basically a "bump" access. There is a little set a steps with a larger step-seat on the top. There are handrails on one side. On the side without handrails, it has a space next to it, so you can park a wheelchair next to the steps and the step-seat will be about the same level as the wheelchair seat. You transfer over to the step-seat and then have someone else take your wheelchair away. Using the handrails, you "bump" your bottom down one step at a time until you have reached the water. To get out, you reverse the process and bump back up.

For restaurants, you could choose to stay in the wheelchair or transfer to a regular chair and have the wheelchair/ecv put off to the side after you have transferred.

Don't worry about the busses or other transportation. Almost 100% of them are wheelchair accessible. There are some threads on this board about getting onto a bus with an ecv or wheelchair that I can help you find if you need them (You'll probably find someone has a link; people are pretty helpful).
The most important 2 things to remember are:
1)Make yourself visible to the bus drivers: park your party about there the rear door of the bus will be when it stops (sounds a little mysterious, but easy to see where once you are there). When a bus drives up, let the driver know by shaking your head or nodding whether or not you want that destination.
2) If you have an ecv, practice backing up with it before you leave your resort. You will need to be able to back up onto the lift. (Again, sounds hard, but after the first time, is not bad, especially if you can back with confidence).

Janet,

I had a DVT after delivering my oldest son. I'm glad you are reading up about them. Eight years ago, I couldn't find very much at all online about them.

Your doctors started you on blood thinners and that's a big key to the prevention of DVT. Follow their instructions to the letter. Some docs will tell you avoid vitamin K, others will tell you to eat items with vitamin K and they will adjust your meds. Are you on heparin or coumadin? My experience has been that the heparin is much easier to control dosages.

As for the flying, the two segments will help. As Sue said, put your walker in the overhead and try to at least stand up periodically throughout your flight. Call your airline and request the first row seats for more legroom. As long as it is not an exit row, you should be able to get it.

Enjoy your trip...you have earned it!

Suzanne

SueM in MN, you sure are eloquent: “You transfer over to the step-seat and then have someone else take your wheelchair away. Using the handrails, you ‘bump’ your bottom down one step at a time until you have reached the water. To get out, you reverse the process and bump back up.” My, my; such eloquent words! (I never could have explained it as well as you did.) From your description, I now know how it works. Thank you!

Poohnatic, I don’t have my prescription in front of me, but I believe it is basically a heavy-duty dosage of aspirin. I am sorry to hear that you had DVT after delivering your child. I hemorrhaged with mine and almost died. Life sure can be scary, can’t it?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter