My Disneyland dining reviews, with pictures

Figment’s Return to Disneyland for Halloween (September 2021), Continued...

Oga's Cantina, Breakfast(?)
Only in Disneyland would we even think of drinking at 9:00 am in the morning! We wanted to check out Oga's Cantina, but hadn't had much luck getting the timing right to join the wait list in the afternoon/evening, so we decided to join the waitlist in the morning. So, we did learn a few important things about the waitlist: 1) the notification that you've been called back only comes via push notifications and 2) even though the app shows that you're on the waitlist, that does not update. So we waited and waited, and after about 45 minutes decided to go over to Oga's to see if there were any updates. They explained what happened and said it was pretty common and they wished that the app and waitlist system was better integrated. They honored the waitlist and let us in after a short wait.
(In order from left to right) - It's hard for Figment's family member to review the drinks because she's not really a drinker and doesn't really like the taste of alcohol. So suffice it to say, everyone enjoyed the drink they ordered.
  • Fuzzy Tauntaun - Cîroc Peach Vodka, Bols Peach Schnapps, and Simply Orange® topped with Tangerine, Pure Cane Sugar, "Buzz Button Tingling" Foam. Oh my, that foam was weird stuff! It made our lips tingle. Weird, but fun...
  • Tarine Tea - Gold Peak® Unsweetened Tea, Peach, Huckleberry, and Mint. Not too sweet, but refreshing.
  • Jabba Juice - Simply Orange® with Pineapple, Kiwi, Cantaloupe, and Blueberry Flavor-filled Boba. Sweet, but good.
  • Takodana Quencher - Bacardi Dragonberry Rum, Bols Blue Curaçao, Simply Orange® with Pineapple, Kiwi flavors.
  • Hyperdrive (Punch It!) - Powerade® Mountain Berry Blast, White Cranberry Juice, Black Cherry Purée, and Sprite®. A little bland (after the Jabba Juice and Tarine Tea).
  • The Outer Rim - Patrón Silver Tequila, Açaí Liqueur, Lime Juice, and Pure Cane Sugar, topped with Exotic Fruit Purée, rimmed with Black Salt.
20210921_09202414.jpg

Clarabelle's, Snack
Strawberry Sundae - Scoops of Vanilla Ice Cream served in a Waffle Cup topped with Strawberry Sauce, Whipped Cream and a Cherry. Who doesn't like ice cream and strawberry sauce?
DSC_0376.jpg

Oswald - Scoops of Vanilla and Chocolate Ice Cream served in a Waffle Cup topped with Whipped Cream, Hot Fudge, Chocolate Morsels, Cherries, and Chocolate-dipped Frozen Bananas. Figment always like the Oswald sundae. Ice cream+chocolate+frozen bananas=yum!
DSC_0375.jpg

Smokejumpers, Snack
Onion Rings - These were pretty standard onion rings...nothing really special.
DSC_0009.jpg

Award Weiner
Uptown Chili Dog - All-Beef Hot Dog topped with Home-style Chili, Pepper Jack Cheese and Corn Chips served on a Toasted Bun with Filmstrip Fries. Figment liked this hot dog. It had lots of chili, medium spice, but it didn’t overpower the hot dog.
DSC_0004.jpg

Halloween Candy Funnel Cake Fries - Dusted in Crushed Chocolate Cream-filled Cookies with Cream Cheese Sauce, Cookie Pieces, Gummy Candies, Chocolate-coated Candies and Whipped Cream. Funnel cake fries are always fun to eat. These were pretty good; not to sweet, but still plenty sweet.
DSC_0006.jpg

Cozy Cones, Snack
Spicy Mac 'n' Cheese Cone - Pasta with Spicy Red Pepper Cheese Sauce topped with crushed Chile-Cheese Puffs served in a Bread Cone. This one had some surprising heat to the crumbles on top. Otherwise, it was a pretty basic mac 'n' cheese.
Bacon Mac 'n' Cheese - Creamy Mac 'n' Cheese Mixed with Roasted Bacon served in a Bread Cone. Figment liked this one better (because of bacon!). The mac 'n' cheese is very thick. The flavor is better when eaten with the bread cone because the bread balances out the saltiness of the mac 'n' cheese.
20210921_16565319.jpg

Starbucks, Snack
Oogie Boogie Macaron - Black Macaron filled with Green Apple Buttercream, Caramel, Brownies, Cookie Crumb Dust and Gummy Candy. This was a fun dessert to look at, but in reality, it just tasted like pure sugar. It was sickly sweet and not something he'd order again.
20210920_1128395.jpg

Studio Catering Co.
Pineapple Jamaica Agua Fresca - With Pineapple Chamoy. This was one of the worst tasting things Figment has had at Disneyland! It's up there with frushi (from DCA's F&W Festival back in 2018 or so). It had a weird texture; kind of gritty, kind of syrupy, and nothing even remotely like a pineapple flavor. Each of Figment's family took one sip and then tossed the rest. It was awful...
DSC_0371.jpg

Portos, Dessert
This isn't a restaurant in the Disneyland Resort, but it's practically an institution down in Southern California. The lines to get food can rival those of Disneyland! We stopped by on our way down for a quick dinner and had to get some of the yummy desserts (note that if you go close to closing, they do run out of the desserts).
Tiramisu Cup and Chocolate Mousse Cake - Both were really good. The tiramisu was very light while the cake was really rich.
20210918_2203231.jpg

Pym Tasting Lab
This was also knew to Figment's family member.
Particle Fizz - Endless Summer Hard Seltzer - POG (Passion Fruit, Orange, Guava) with Fruit Flavor-filled Boba. The response was all over the map. Figment's family member thought this was very bitter and one sip was enough. The person that ordered it, liked it and drank the rest happily. Figment just wanted the beaker cup...
Thank you so much for all of these reports with photos! I had a question: when did Figment (and/or his family) go in order to receive a beaker cup from Pym's? We were there a couple weeks back and they said they didn't have any more in stock and didn't know when they would be getting any more. 😔

Thank you so much for all of these reports with photos! I had a question: when did Figment (and/or his family) go in order to receive a beaker cup from Pym's? We were there a couple weeks back and they said they didn't have any more in stock and didn't know when they would be getting any more. 😔
Figment got the cup on either 9/20 or 9/21.

People will be really happy you included Porto's! The food and desserts menu are pretty vast and really, really good. And how often can you say you've had Cuban food?
I really like Porto's, especially the ropa vieja and the desserts. A colleague of mine is Cuban and he said the food at Porto's is very good. One thing I did notice was that they had far fewer desserts right now than pre-pandemic. I only saw the fruit tart, tiramisu cup, mango mousse, chocolate cake, carrot cake, and napoleon.

Thanks for the awesome photos! Did you mobile order at cozy cone and Award Weiners or just walk up? Those cones look delicious!
We did mobile ordering for both places. I really like mobile ordering...it saves time. The only place where I found somewhat mixed results is Jolly Holiday. It's great because it saves time, but no everything they have is available for mobile ordering. For example, the app did not have the raspberry rose macaron or mickey mummy macaron although both were in the display case and could be ordered at the counter. It seems like they can be mobile ordered in the morning, but then get taken off the ordering menu.

I really like Porto's, especially the ropa vieja and the desserts. A colleague of mine is Cuban and he said the food at Porto's is very good. One thing I did notice was that they had far fewer desserts right now than pre-pandemic. I only saw the fruit tart, tiramisu cup, mango mousse, chocolate cake, carrot cake, and napoleon.
ooo, sad about desert selections! They really elevate cakes and pastries, etc!
Ropa vieja (translates to "old clothes") is a favorite of mine, too. Readers do not let that translation dissuade you, it's delicious!
Another fav of mine is the Cubano and guava or cream cheese Danish. Actually, everything there is yummy!

We did mobile ordering for both places. I really like mobile ordering...it saves time. The only place where I found somewhat mixed results is Jolly Holiday. It's great because it saves time, but no everything they have is available for mobile ordering. For example, the app did not have the raspberry rose macaron or mickey mummy macaron although both were in the display case and could be ordered at the counter. It seems like they can be mobile ordered in the morning, but then get taken off the ordering menu.

Thanks! I was worried that mobile ordering would be difficult. Hopefully it will be ok for Jolly Holiday when I'm there, I love their breakfast sandwiches.

Aspargus app at Blue Bayou.JPEG
Grilled Heirloom Jumbo Asparagus appetizer at Blue Bayou - $13
Tasso Ham and Green Apple Vinaigrette, Cajun Cheddar, Corn Bread Crumbles

This was the one thing we had at BB I really didn't care for. It was just odd to me. Although it was topped with a vinaigrette, the brown sauce on the asparagus was savory, so it felt like two very different dishes. Would have been fine with either just the vinaigrette or just the sauce, but together the two really clashed.

I bought both the Mickey full body gingerbread cookie and the Mickey head gingerbread cookie last week so I could compare them.

25927E27-74A3-46DD-B19F-D7AC9352522B.jpeg550DA4A5-34B6-4D01-929A-899DFA580CD7.jpeg

I know people are obsessed with finding the full body Mickey gingerbread cookies. I was so happy to see they returned as I loved them in 2019. I was hoping the recipe stayed the same and I was happy to discover it did! These are soft, spicy and slightly sweet. Adorable and delicious!

I was really curious to compare the Mickey head gingerbread with the full body Mickey gingerbread since the Mickey head is easily obtainable from many locations via mobile order while I see people waiting 30-60 minutes for the full body Mickey gingerbread at times, and they tend to sell out of them every day.

Guess what? They are the exact same recipe! I dare say the Mickey head is yummier as the thin icing that coats the cookie is slightly thicker, making it just a touch sweeter than the full body Mickey. And it’s very pretty with edible gold glitter, holiday candy decorations and white chocolate holly leaves. So if you’re craving gingerbread but don’t want to wait in a long line, try the Mickey head gingerbread!

Finally, they sell the full body Mickey gingerbread in the lobby of the Grand Californian Hotel (starting at noon), but they are $9 at the GCH … within the parks both styles of Mickey gingerbread are $4.99. Magic Key discounts apply. I paid $4.24 for each cookie.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter