My nightmare with Disney cruiseline and irma

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry, I just can't possibly imagine traveling out of state without having some sort of funds that I could access if needed. That is mind-boggling to me.

I see your point and also see hers. When you plan for a vacation and then life happens and you have limited funds. As I see it, she probably saved for the vacation and planned how much she spent. There are threads on this board that ask about all sorts of costs from gratuities to laundry. The Hurricane was something that a lot of people don't plan for. I wouldn't blame Disney or DCL for that, I probably would have been stressed about the extra cost I hadn't thought of. The funny thing in my life is that my finances has improved and I can plan for trips. My sister realized that on my accounts that I am the only person with access. She mentioned the fact and included the possibility of being in the middle of nowhere and needing money. I was starting to think of a trip that would put me in the Arctic Circle in Lapland. I told my sister about my thoughts and we both were laughing about it. I am grateful that I was given the advice I was. In the past, finances was not something I thought of regularly and now I am realizing that it is important to have some things in place.

I think OP was willing to not travel. However since DCL hadn't canceled the cruise they were going on. It would have been less a refund.

What would have happened if she had canceled and the cruise still went on. Maybe with a changed itinerary.

The insurance even then would not have covered her.

She was stuck between a rock and a hard space and she made the choice to go forward. It happens.

Luckily the resort took care of you and you are safe. That's all that truly matters.

I see your point and also see hers. When you plan for a vacation and then life happens and you have limited funds. As I see it, she probably saved for the vacation and planned how much she spent. There are threads on this board that ask about all sorts of costs from gratuities to laundry. The Hurricane was something that a lot of people don't plan for. I wouldn't blame Disney or DCL for that, I probably would have been stressed about the extra cost I hadn't thought of. The funny thing in my life is that my finances has improved and I can plan for trips. My sister realized that on my accounts that I am the only person with access. She mentioned the fact and included the possibility of being in the middle of nowhere and needing money. I was starting to think of a trip that would put me in the Arctic Circle in Lapland. I told my sister about my thoughts and we both were laughing about it. I am grateful that I was given the advice I was. In the past, finances was not something I thought of regularly and now I am realizing that it is important to have some things in place.
I've spent some time on lurking on the budget board. I know some people travel with really tight budgets. They put change in a jar every day, cut coupons and sacrifice a lot for their vacations. I've been pretty blessed to be able to cruise 2 or 3 times a year and travel abroad. There were several years of my life when I couldn't afford to travel at all.... so I get it. DCL cruisers seem to be in a higher income bracket sometimes I think they are a little out of touch.

I've spent some time on lurking on the budget board. I know some people travel with really tight budgets. They put change in a jar every day, cut coupons and sacrifice a lot for their vacations. I've been pretty blessed to be able to cruise 2 or 3 times a year and travel abroad. There were several years of my life when I couldn't afford to travel at all.... so I get it. DCL cruisers seem to be in a higher income bracket sometimes I think they are a little out of touch.

So you would travel, potentially out of the country, with no access to money? Not even a credit card if something went wrong? I'm a single woman. I'm certainly not even approaching wealthy. But if I had to travel with no access to more funds whatsoever, I wouldn't be traveling. It's irresponsible and frankly could be dangerous.

I'm not talking about this situation specifically, now we've gotten into more general territory.

This. Tight vacation budgets often leave little or no room for emergency situations. I can understand how the money just isn't there...

The only problem with that is waiting until the hurricane is possibly heading that way, the hotel rooms may fill up with evacuees from other areas and not be available.

I find the National Hurricane Center to be quite precise so my guess is I wouldn't wait too long to do so. We saw Irma coming more than a week in advance.

I find the National Hurricane Center to be quite precise so my guess is I wouldn't wait too long to do so. We saw Irma coming more than a week in advance.

As did everyone else, so there would have been a scramble for available rooms.

Many people told me they book extra nights "cancellable up to 24h in advance" for before, during and after the cruise in case they need them.

I'm not sure I would go that far unless there was a hurricane coming our way.

From another post, I believe OP did consider booking a resort room as contingency. The challenge she faced was mainly that WDW doesn't have a 24-hr cancellation policy for resort reservations. OP was told she would lose her deposit on the extended resort stay if the cruise sailed. She could have looked offsite for a hotel with a more lenient cancellation policy, though she may have then faced transportation challenges. She was looking to do it without risk, and there simply isn't a way to plan for travel without assuming some risk. Again, since she was onsite and went directly to the front desk, they were able to take care of her -- and do so without requiring a credit card or cash. I think that was great service and from the company most able to make that happen -- WDW not DCL.

This. Tight vacation budgets often leave little or no room for emergency situations. I can understand how the money just isn't there...
I can appreciate very well that different people have different budgets for vacation. There are plenty of vacations I'd love to take, but I can't afford to take them, so I don't take them. I think it's simply irresponsible to travel without a contingency. I've never gone anywhere without exceeding my anticipated budget by even a little bit.

Which is why DCL probably could/should have "relaxed" their cancellation policies for people sailing on those upcoming cruises and allowed to them to cancel with a 100% credit.

From another post, I believe OP did consider booking a resort room as contingency. The challenge she faced was mainly that WDW doesn't have a 24-hr cancellation policy for resort reservations. OP was told she would lose her deposit on the extended resort stay if the cruise sailed. She could have looked offsite for a hotel with a more lenient cancellation policy, though she may have then faced transportation challenges. She was looking to do it without risk, and there simply isn't a way to plan for travel without assuming some risk. Again, since she was onsite and went directly to the front desk, they were able to take care of her -- and do so without requiring a credit card or cash. I think that was great service and from the company most able to make that happen -- WDW not DCL.

Remember, this is why they cancelled EARLY and brought passengers back EARLY so that it wouldn't be a last minute decision for anyone. There should have been ample time to get out of dodge, or at the very least find some accommodations.

Which is why DCL probably could/should have "relaxed" their cancellation policies for people sailing on those upcoming cruises and allowed to them to cancel with a 100% credit.

I would say that hindsight is 20/20 but I think this is a great point and DCL probably should have considered figuring out the cancellation for OP's cruise a few days earlier, the decision making window for her was pretty tight. OP I do feel for you in that unfortunately you got stuck in the worst possible timing with trying to figure out what to do and waiting on Disney to make a decision, there's really no way around that, just the timing really didn't work in your favor with how it unfolded and for that I am sorry, that really sucks, I'd be very frustrated too.

Note to self.... if booking in hurricane season, book the WDW land portion AFTER cruise, so as not to have flights in to MCO ahead of any cruise cancellations.

It is very challenging when the cruise is only one part of a trip. OP was lucky that her land portion was with WDW and not, say, a work convention or something where she would have had no ability to ask for help in finding extended arrangements.

I can appreciate very well that different people have different budgets for vacation. There are plenty of vacations I'd love to take, but I can't afford to take them, so I don't take them. I think it's simply irresponsible to travel without a contingency. I've never gone anywhere without exceeding my anticipated budget by even a little bit.

If I had to wait to have a perfect amount of money for vacation, then I'd never get to have one. I budget for food and other things, and maybe enough to get a flight home... maybe. But certainly not enough to stay in a hotel for an indefinite amount of time. I wouldn't even know where to begin cost planning for such a thing, since it's not an exact amount. It may be irresponsible, but the extra money just isn't there. But I'd rather take the risk and roll the dice than to stay home. That's my own personal choice though. Some may have the means to be able to budget for emergency situations. I don't and OP didn't.

If I had to wait to have a perfect amount of money for vacation, then I'd never get to have one. I budget for food and other things, and maybe enough to get a flight home... maybe. But certainly not enough to stay in a hotel for an indefinite amount of time. I wouldn't even know where to begin cost planning for such a thing, since it's not an exact amount. It may be irresponsible, but the extra money just isn't there. But I'd rather take the risk and roll the dice than to stay home. That's my own personal choice though. Some may have the means to be able to budget for emergency situations. I don't and OP didn't.

Yes, that is your choice.

BUT you cannot then turn around and blame someone else for your choice to not have emergency funds available. Or even worse expect someone else to cover your costs associated with choices you made.

The OP got very lucky that the manager at POR trusted her enough to bill her for the room - very few hotels wold be willing to do that.

I am a Florida resident and with all due respect I don't have a whole lot of sympathy for your situation right now. After enduring several days of boarding up ours and several of our elderly neighbors homes and spending an unplanned fortune on hurricane supplies for us and our neighbors.

This is just ugly and uncalled for in regards to sympathy. I am a Florida Resident as well, we choose to live in Florida and we know living in Florida that has what some call the most beautiful beaches in the world, what some call paradise and having quick access to theme parks, Bahamas, Caribbean, etc; omes with a price. That price is hurricanes and all Floridians should remain on alert and be ready for a hurricane at a moments notice. Us Floridians should be better than "well, I had to deal with a hurricane, you missed a cruise."

So what would happen if you go seriously ill and needed a flight home? What would you do? Even if you got insurance, they aren't going to pay for it up front. You have to pay for it and then get reimbursed. Or if your flight got canceled and you needed a last minute hotel. Would you expect someone else to pay for it because you were irresponsible? Fault Disney, or wherever you are, for not helping you because you don't have the money?

It's not only irresponsible, it's dangerous. There are plenty of things I don't do because I don't have the money. Nobody deserves to go on a Disney cruise.

This exactly. People I know who cannot truly afford a vacation do a staycation in our hometown. We've done it before ourselves. Or don't go anywhere at all. That was us as well at one point in our lives -- no vacation for a few years.

I see the OP has a countdown for her next vacation in about a year from now. My best advice is to save, save, save and try to obtain an awesome credit card to have in case of a travel emergency and one that offers travel interruption and cancellation insurance. We have a very good one, and I would be happy to recommend it via a PM.

Good to luck to everyone!

First, there are very often hurricanes coming during this season. But most don't actually get here. Second, even our local ABC station's weatherman Denis Phillips, whom I always watch during hurricanes (he called the Charley turn to Punta Gorda back in 2004 way before the NHC or the Weather Channel did), admitted they did not do a good job of predicting the track of this storm. It is still a very imprecise science. The projection went from the center of Florida, to well off the east coast, to off the west coast, back to the path it actually took up the center again in about 2 and 1/2 days. In fact, on Sunday as it went over the Keys, the NHC was still calling for it to go up the west coast. Add that to the fact that there were millions of people under evacuation orders from the beaches all around the state, and tens of thousands of people around the state kicked out of their beach hotels (which closed) and dumped off cruises ships early (or not allowed to board) and hundreds of cancelled flights and you had the recipe for chaos. The best planning in the world and a pocket full of cash and credit cards does you little good if you are stuck someplace you didn't expect to be and there is no transportation out and there are no hotels to be had. At that point it is all about survival mode.

Last edited:
Disney should have made the decision to cancel the sail date earlier.

Every cruiseline has to make decisions. Some will feel stupid after the fact. Some will seem brilliant. I think this time Norwegian wins the brilliant award. But it's a fluke. Next time they'll do something that makes no sense. A few years ago Royal did the right thing in Sandy while Disney did noooooot.

We're holding these businesses to impossible standards. They have people to pay and guests to please and they make the decisions they make based on the information they have.

You may see it as her "flying into a hurricane", but I see it as not being able to eat the cost.

She already ate the cost. The cost was gone. Spent. What a person loses when they make a decision to cancel and get a partial refund is the experience.

So you would travel, potentially out of the country, with no access to money? Not even a credit card if something went wrong? I'm a single woman. I'm certainly not even approaching wealthy. But if I had to travel with no access to more funds whatsoever, I wouldn't be traveling. It's irresponsible and frankly could be dangerous.

I'm not talking about this situation specifically, now we've gotten into more general territory.

I have. I lost my credit rating early and had no ccards for years. Dh was in the same boat. Worked fine for years. Then we were in a trip and needed funds for something, and thankfully my brother was willing to help. Then we were at my dad's for a few days and I realized how terribly allergic to cats I am and he had two stressed cats. We were stuck. It was a long trip and our money was sunk into other parts of the trip.

After that we said "enough now" because my actual health was in jeopardy because we had no access to an extra hotel stay.

But it worked for years. Until it didn't.

And then what? Funky weather in Vancouver so the Alaska cruises relax their cancellation policy? Winter weather causing December cruises to have relaxed policies? Why have cancellation policies at all?

It's an impossible standard. I'm not being a Disney apologist or even a cruiseline apologist, but I recognize that businesses have to make decisions. Sometimes they are wrong in retrospect and sometimes they are right.

If Irma had pulled a Matthew and went out with a whimper half a day (or however long) after they cancelled the cruise, they would have looked idiotic for that decision, and we would be talking about "why did they make the decision so early???"

The OP got very lucky that the manager at POR trusted her enough to bill her for the room - very few hotels wold be willing to do that.

Yes. So true. I'm actually in awe that he did that.

So what would happen if you go seriously ill and needed a flight home? What would you do? Even if you got insurance, they aren't going to pay for it up front. You have to pay for it and then get reimbursed. Or if your flight got canceled and you needed a last minute hotel.

People like me who used to budget to the bone for things do not think of those issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter