My skin hurts **update it's shingles

Interesting! Shingles definitely seems to be on the rise, somehow. We’ve seen it in the hospital, too. I will have to get my vaccine next time I go to the doctor’s.

My doctor couldn’t give me the Shingles vaccine. I had to go to the pharmacy to get it.

I was JOYFUL when I finally aged into a Shingrex prescription. The side effects were harsh (so bad that I self-reported for Covid after the first one, only to have the PCR test come up negative), but I still wouldn't have missed it for the world. I've got a real fear of shingles - I'd take those shots again in a minute, to be protected from it.

I too got it as soon as I turned 50. Will get #2 in a few weeks. It isn’t the only vaccine that I got a reaction from. I too took a COVID test just to be sure. It would be my luck to assume it was the vaccine and have it be COVID.

That's good to know - I didn't realize there was a treatment.

This may have changed with the latest Medicare updates for free vaccines, but my DH got his Shingrix at CVS and each shot cost him $188. That could be a barrier for some. I got mine for free at my doc's office under my regular non-medicare health plan
That is why I didn't get the vax. It was too expensive but medicare is covering it starting in January.

Please everyone get the Shingrix vax, even if you have to pay out of pocket. I got shingles in my optic nerve 4 years ago. The pain was staggering. I had $300 eye drops to preserve the vision in that eye. The virus traveled down the right side of my face, and went into the nerves in my teeth. Thank God that part was only for a couple of days.

I have lingering nerve pain everyday now. I do have Gabepentin for it, but it isn't very effective. What is effective is opioids, which are impossible to get. This outbreak changed my ability to work, and daily life. Please get the vaccine.

Obviously things are a bit different in the UK but here are a couple of relevant extracts from one of our gov pages:

If you have the Zostavax vaccine, you will just need one injection. If you are not eligible for the live vaccine, you will need 2 doses of the Shingrix vaccine 2 months apart to give you the best protection. Once your course is completed, you will not need any more shingles vaccines.

You become eligible for the shingles vaccine as you turn 70 and remain eligible up to the age of 79.
People under 70 years of age are at lower risk of shingles but will become eligible for the vaccine when they turn 70. People aged 80 years and over are not eligible for the shingles vaccination because the vaccine becomes less effective as people get older. If you are worried about shingles speak to your GP.

(The NHS provides the vaccine FOC for 70+. I don't know if it is available for younger people privately here.)

The page might be worth a read, even for US citizens, as it has quite a bit of background info:
Vaccination against shingles guide

my mom told the story of getting into an argument over the phone with my pediatrician when i was a young infant. my brother had come home from kindergarten with chicken pox, been diagnosed by the doctor and now i was showing legions. doctor kept insisting that it was 'impossible' for a 3 month old to get them-that baby immunities protected from it. my mom gave up fighting him on it so i never had an official diagnosis but responded to the same treatment he had prescribed my brother. mom did say that if you have to have 2 kids with chicken pox at the same time that having one that wasn't capable of coordinating their movements to scratch made things allot easier.

op (and all others) with shingles-so sorry, hope you feel better soon.
I remember that I brought Chickenpox home from 1st or 2nd grade, and my mom made no attempt to separate the younger kids from me. My aunt brought my cousins over to play -- on purpose so they'd get it too /get it over with.

With no vaxx and the only treatment being Calamine lotion + time, moms wanted all their kids to get Chickenpox at once so they could be DONE with it. The idea of avoiding it (thus avoiding Shingles later) was just not realistic.
This may have changed with the latest Medicare updates for free vaccines, but my DH got his Shingrix at CVS and each shot cost him $188. That could be a barrier for some. I got mine for free at my doc's office under my regular non-medicare health plan
I hate that's a realistic barrier ... but most of us won't get Shingles, with or without the shot, and I get why people choose to risk going without. But I hate that they have to make that choice.

I don't remember whether I paid for my Shingles vaxx (it's been a couple years), but I know I paid out-of-pocket for my Pneumonia vaxx because I was "too young" ... even though I'd had Pneumonia two years in a row. I just had a booster ... I'm old enough now that insurance paid, but I would've paid out of pocket. I love not having Pneumonia.
Please everyone get the Shingrix vax, even if you have to pay out of pocket. I got shingles in my optic nerve 4 years ago. The pain was staggering. I had $300 eye drops to preserve the vision in that eye. The virus traveled down the right side of my face, and went into the nerves in my teeth. Thank God that part was only for a couple of days.

I have lingering nerve pain everyday now. I do have Gabepentin for it, but it isn't very effective. What is effective is opioids, which are impossible to get. This outbreak changed my ability to work, and daily life. Please get the vaccine.
Your story is awful. Anyone who can read that and say, "No thanks, I'll skip the vaxx" ... well, I just don't understand them.

I read something about the Covid vaxx ... apparently some people who caught Covid /were very sick and hospitalized were saying, "Give me the vaccine now! I'll take it now!" Some people don't understand the difference between prevention and cure.

My doctor couldn’t give me the Shingles vaccine. I had to go to the pharmacy to get it.
Hmm. My doctor offered it to me in the office, but I had just had the Covid vaccine and decided to wait.

Omg. That sounds horrible. I’m sorry you have to deal with that.
You become eligible for the shingles vaccine as you turn 70
Wow. I think we become eligible at 50 here, right?
most of us won't get Shingles
It is on the rise right now as a sequela of Covid. I mentioned earlier in the thread my DD got it that way this past summer and the doctor warned me to come back if I got a rash when I was seen for Covid last month. (Nothing yet, thankfully.) I have seen more cases in the hospital than usual in the past several months.
I love not having Pneumonia.
You can still get pneumonia after the vaccine, which helps prevent and/or lessen the impact of pneumococcal pneumonia. There are lots of other things that cause pneumonia, too. I got that vaccine. They say it was a coincidence, but two or three days after I got it I got a whopping case of pneumonia! Granted, I had walked and watched a game in the pouring, cold rain (under an umbrella) - not sure if that played into it, but I’ve only had pneumonia twice as an adult and the timing of it seemed suspect. I wasn’t sick at all prior to getting the shot. (I would still get it, just saying.)

I am so sorry you got Shingles. It is an awful condition and I hope you don't suffer too long.

I did get the 2 shot vaccine over the summer/fall and have felt unwell (hard to describe) more so after the second shot. I saw my parents suffer from it and my mom lost her hearing in one ear.

Be well.

Hope OP feels better very soon. I had shingles at 37, and was also pregnant. Worst pain ever, just horrible. Because I'd had shingles in the past, I was able to get the old Zostavax before I was 50, I think it was in my mid 40s. Just this year, (now over 50,) completed the 2 rounds of Shingrix. I do NOT want shingles again if I can help it.
I have a friend who has had it multiple times, and at least once, in her eye, and very painful. My mom also had 2 painful experiences w shingles. Hers and mine were mostly in the lower torso area/waistline. Just horrible.

What kind of side effects have people had from the shingles vaccine? I had my first one a few weeks ago and later that week I felt pretty sick. I thought it was a migraine but the pain was different.

What kind of side effects have people had from the shingles vaccine? I had my first one a few weeks ago and later that week I felt pretty sick. I thought it was a migraine but the pain was different.

I had a reaction to the first shot. I was exhausted, chills, achy. Felt a lot like I felt after the covid shot. Second shot I only had soreness at injection site. I did get a mild itchy rash on my legs but not sure if that was from the vaccine or not.

I didn't have much of a reaction to the first shot (Shingrix series), mostly just "normal" sore arm.

Second shot, I got a big (about 3" across) red welt on my arm, and the whole area was hot. Sore arm, couldn't raise my arm up (much like getting a tetanus shot). Upset stomach, and extreme tiredness.

To the posts of people having shingles before 30......wow, I never heard of that before. I thought it was a post 50 problem.....joys of getting older.
I was 31. I was very pregnant and it was a stressful pregnancy. It was so painful and I didn't want to take any meds for it. Even though a long time ago and never returned it was enough for me to get my shingles vaccines. I just wanted to take a knife and cut it out. The pain went so deep.

I worked with a guy who had it in his 20's and his was considered something he would have to deal with the rest of his life???

I had Shingles at age 9 (!) and again about 5 years ago (I'm old now). Just an FYI that I had it as a child, which was very rare. (Yes, I had Chicken pox) The later time, the instant I felt pins and needles (I know the symptoms) and within 5 minutes, over the phone my Dr. called the pharmacy for Zovirax and It was in my body within 15 minutes and never progressed to the blisters, just the painful and weird pimples. My Dr..definitely confirmed Shingles when I actually went to his office and he said the trick is to get the drug Zovirax in your system asap. I cannot get the Shingles Vaccine due to several medical conditions. When I travel I always take Zovirax capsules with me just in case I get symptoms. So far, didn't get a third time.

I feel very sorry for those suffering with Shingles...especially around the eye. 2 friends had it very bad. Scary.

It is on the rise right now as a sequela of Covid. I mentioned earlier in the thread my DD got it that way this past summer and the doctor warned me to come back if I got a rash when I was seen for Covid last month. (Nothing yet, thankfully.) I have seen more cases in the hospital than usual in the past several months.
Well, I spoke too soon. :rolleyes1 Mrsstats, you’re in good company. 😬

Well, I spoke too soon. :rolleyes1 Mrsstats, you’re in good company. 😬
Oh no! I hope you and Mrsstats have mild cases and are feeling better soon.

You're all making me want to rush out and get my first shot. Just had the Covid vaccine though and scheduling flu shot next.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter