• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

My son took some first steps this week Has cp

eeyorelori

Mouseketeer
Hi all i havent been on here for a while but wanted to tell you all the good news ..I was having major probs last year with easter seals ..Some may remember ..Any ways ,we got arm crutches for son over the summer ..Months of practice is paying off..He is standing after i help him pull up his pants in the morning and i let go he is standing like 3 to 4 mins with out going down ..Yestaday since weve been snowed in he took like 5 steps ..I creid he laughed and i said im sooooooooooooo proud of you ..And he just smiles ...Now we def need to take him back to the mouse..Dad made a promice with him when he walks we will go back to see his fav mickey....I just had to tell you all the good news ...:banana: next hell be doing this ...:yay: I cant wait.......thanks for reading ...

party: Congrats to you and your son. My son also has CP . When he was in 4th grade he had track and field at school and he ran the 50 yard dash with his walker. I cried like a baby. Every teacher was crying, the kids were yelling "go Greg" It was great. We have it on video. My son is now in 7th grade, he's going in July to have bone surgery on both legs. He just took a walking test tuesday, the results from this test will decide if the Drs. have to break both hips or not. but both legs are going to be broken and reset. Anyways CONGRATS to the both of you.

Its just so funny how cp effects us ..My son has nothing wrong with his legs or bones its all in mucsle and Balance...:confused3

party: Congrats to you and your son. My son also has CP . When he was in 4th grade he had track and field at school and he ran the 50 yard dash with his walker. I cried like a baby. Every teacher was crying, the kids were yelling "go Greg" It was great. We have it on video. My son is now in 7th grade, he's going in July to have bone surgery on both legs. He just took a walking test tuesday, the results from this test will decide if the Drs. have to break both hips or not. but both legs are going to be broken and reset. Anyways CONGRATS to the both of you.

I had a similar moment in my life and while we dont have video, the moment is etched in my mind forever.

It was the Empire State Games for the Physically Challenged and I was there because I was a "swimming buddy" for a little girl with CP. She couldn't swim unassisted and she has limited lung capacity but when they said "go" she took off. I barely kept up with her the whole length of the pool. We wound up winning the race and she wound up placing 4th or 5th in her division. She was in kindergarten (now shes in 6th grade :eek: ) and she still talks about it when she introduces me to people in her life :lmao: . I tease her that I'll forever be known as "her swimming buddy" even though we havent swam together like that for 5 years.

These kids never cease to amaze us. :goodvibes

Thank you for sharing that wonderful news with us! I'm thrilled for your son and for you!

Great news!! I can't imagine how excited you are. Next you will be running around after him. Congrats!!:cheer2: :jumping1:

The tears are rolling down my face as i replay his face in my head ..He kept telling me that he didnt want to walk without his walker but i keep telling him there are so many things that he can do better with the crutches ..But instead of having 6 legs to walk with he now has 4 so his balance is getting better..He did it like 3 times yestarday..When i cried he just looks at me a smiles and i keep saying IM SO PROUD OF YOU ..He doesnt talk much speech delays ..But you can tell by his smile he is proud to ...Finally ..I took 8 long yrs for me to see him go with just baby steps ..:banana: :cool1: :cheer2:

That is so great for you both,I am so happy for you.My ds is 7 and also has cp.he can walk in his gate trainer and the first time he ever did was at school,they called and asked if me and my dh could come up for a meeting and when we got there MY SON came walking out of his class room and I just stood there crying.They told me that they had been working on him walking for months and being that it was the week before christmas,it was my ds gift to me.Its been 3 years and I will never forget that day as long as I live.Enjoy this great time with you son.

Kayc your story brought tears to my eyes..Can he walk completly by him self or does he need crutches or something...I can tell him going the steps with his crutches are really strenthening his legs 2nd grade going upstairs and not using the elevator has helped..I really want to seee him walk ..Especially last yr the Beep at easter selas said hed not walk ever by himself...None of his docs ever said anything negative but she was a beep...Congrats to you and your son too...:grouphug:

eeyore-When ds was born they told me that I should put him in a home for sick babies because he will never do anything.He has done more than they ever thought he would do.He is in his wheelchair most of the time but does walk in his gatetrainer about 30-40 min each day.A gatetrainer looks like an over sized baby walker in a way.He loves it because its the ONLY thing he can do on his own.Dont you just love watching the smile on your sons face when he is proud of himself.Is cp the only thing he has or does he have other diagnosis (spelling??) as well.

Kayc my so had a gait trainer when he was like 2 till maybe 4 then when he started school he was using this other boys walker kind of like a backwards elderly one.Any ways he did so good with the borrowed one during his therpy lessons that we ordered one last yr..We kept getting the bigger boys hand me downs . When we saw his nuero i asked him if he thinks hell walk and he said how bad do you want him to walk ...Then he said get his balance under control and hell do extremly better...So i went after forearm crutches ..So we went from 6 lgs to 4 ....I am sooo scared when he goes b/c he looks like hell roll it but i got to let him go sometime right ...He has just been working since sept and what a difference.

To answer your other question..He has cp, devel delay,mental retardation,and speech delay ,Plus some eye issues ....They say hes at a 5 yr level now or so ...Almost 8 ..He can write his name and he pratices his letters ...He is a really smart guy but cant comunicate well ..We got a comunication device loaned to us .....:woohoo: What about your son??

eeyore-Your son sounds like a really great kid.Its great that he is useing a comunication device,my son just started using one about 2-3 months ago in school and they said he is doing good, so if he does well we will be able to get one for home.he cant use his hands very much so he uses his head to work his comunication board,its really cool,this is a little boy that they said would never pass a 3 month old level!We are not really sure what level his on but mentally he is somewhere between 2 and 3 years old,but phsically he is only at about 6 month.He lost 7 hours of oxygen on and off at birth so we are very lucky to even have him!

He has Cp,developmental delays,mental retardation,some eye issues,he is non verbal,siezures and Thats it I think!!!Its hard to keep track of it all.

I meant to respond sooner.
Congratulations! That is very cool:grouphug:

Thanks Kayc and sue ..Yes he is a great kid ...driving me nuts from being off to long with the snow ..But hes back to himself now he went to school today ..He is sooo happy ..I got a pic off him standing all by him self ..I guess i need to find out how to post it ....I sit here looking at a pic of him and his twin when he was 2yrs and just finally sitting up and now he can stand for a few mins ..Has come a long way .....:cool1: He is such a flirt if you could see the faces he makes its priceless...thanks everybody ..I really needed some good news once ..:grouphug:

andy_edited.jpg

I wanted to let you see my little guy with his crutches ....

He's a sweet looking kiddo. I love his eyes, he's smiling, but looks like he can be very determined when he wants to be (like walking, yay!!!!)

Yes he can be determined or a complete bull head lol ...He is so proud of himself ...Thanks everybody.. :cheer2:

Congrats on this exciting news! And a big yeah to your son! :banana:

Both of my boys have CP and it's the extreme low tone that's been a problem. My youngest can walk in a gait trainer, but his trunk and pelvis are so loose from the low tone he often collapses when we walk him in his walker. ( Have to keep a hand on him so he doesn't fall).

We recently had one of those teary moments too. My youngest was trying out an adapted trike at therapy. There is something special with the gears that makes it easier to pedal. You should have seen his face light up when he started pedaling! I can only imagine how free he must have felt to move like that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter