N95 mask fitting

I've done the n95 fitting when I worked at a hospital, but the thing is, it's only done once a year to determine what size mask to wear. You get some tips on how to get your mask tight, but when you really need your n95, nobody is spraying banana stuff at you to see if it fits. T I think my n95 fits pretty well because I can walk by smokers and not smell their smoke.

Thanks! I was just able to get some white N95 & used one tonight when I went to visit MIL and the second strap really threw me off with my ponytail so the conversation is helpful. It is restrictive but I've learned to move a bit more slowly with the KN95 anyway, the double straps on this one will take some time to figure out.

Last edited:
Thanks! I was just able to get some white N95 & used one tonight when I went to visit MIL and the second strap really threw me off with my ponytail so the conversation is helpful. It is restrictive but I've learned to move a bit more slowly with the KN95 anyway, the double straps on this one will take some time to figure out.
I have some KN95s that I've tried a few times and have some N95s coming tomorrow. If they aren't a good fit, I'll just donate them to a facility who can use them.

I was refitted for my N95 this week. During my fitting, it wasn't so much that you smelled the spray, they wanted to know if you tasted it. He said that the N95 won't protect you from chemical gases and vapors.

Another note about N95s. They are great at protecting you from others, but they are not great at protecting others from you.

We wear an N95 alone with other PPE in Covid rooms. Have not seen anyone wear a surgical mask over one. Seems like overkill, especially outside of a hospital setting.
If the N95 fits properly, you are correct, a second mask is unnecessary for providing additional protection. I believe people have been wearing a cloth or disposable mask over their N95 to keep it clean so they can use the same N95 for multiple days in a row.

I have seen this most often at the dentist and orthodontist. During the PPE shortage they were keeping their N95 in a plastic bag and using it all week but throwing away the surgical mask they wore on top.

If the N95 fits properly, you are correct, a second mask is unnecessary for providing additional protection. I believe people have been wearing a cloth or disposable mask over their N95 to keep it clean so they can use the same N95 for multiple days in a row.

I have seen this most often at the dentist and orthodontist. During the PPE shortage they were keeping their N95 in a plastic bag and using it all week but throwing away the surgical mask they wore on top.
Yes, we had to re-wear ours, as well. I think that “keeping it clean” with a second mask is giving a false sense of security (and now there are two masks that need to be carefully removed, or ”doffed”, so as not to contaminate the wearer). Our policy was that, if soiled, we were issued a new one. (But it was a big production to get a new one, in order to conserve.) We wear long face shields that cover the mask. Today, we no longer need to conserve N95s. Yet.

Also, just to add, that in the height of the craziness for us (and some, elsewhere, are now back to that experience again 😭 ), it is hard to convey how insane it was at times in the Covid ICUs. Everyone involved in caring for patients had to be trained to don and doff, ie to put on PPE and take it off, and each instance of donning and doffing was also a big production, with others (clinicians, but often whose usual job was not bedside care) there, whose sole assignment was to watch caregivers don and doff to make sure they were doing it correctly so as to protect the wearer - each and every time a caregiver had to enter or leave a patient room, often with a two patient or more assignment. So constantly in and out of multiple rooms, taking time to don and doff (up to several minutes going either in or out), with an observer, over and over again on a 12 hr shift. It was extremely cumbersome, But here’s my point. Peoples’ stuff was everywhere. Hooks were installed on walls in order to hang PPE (face shields, which we had to wipe down after each use with sterillizing wipes, and regular surgical masks) on, and tables placed outside rooms for the same (for N95 bags and containers). Outside of rooms we wore surgical masks. Before donning PPE, the surgical mask had to come off and be hung up on either a hook or an IV pole, to be put on again after doffing. (Those were conserved as well, one per shift unless soiled or broken.) Adding a second surgical mask for everyone going in and out of these rooms to “put aside” would’ve made things even more chaotic - how are you sure which one was the “clean“ one and which one was the “dirty“ one? Mark it? OK, but let’s just say this was not an environment where everything was neatly organized and controlled - it was insanity at times! Alarms going off, you have to RUN into the room after donning. Emergency in the room? Multiple people at once, in the same area, all trying to don quickly to get in there. And these were regular occurrences, all shift. You can see how things could get mixed up and having extra surgical mask around that were potentially contaminated could actually make things worse. This is why our policy was to just wear N95s by themselves with a face shield. That way we knew exactly what to be very careful with. Surgical masks worn outside were not likely contaminated with Covid (as those germs were kept inside negative air flow rooms with doors closed.) Whereas a surgical mask worn over an N95 inside a Covid room likely was contaminated. So let’s not mix these masks up. Sorry for the long winded explanation, but it‘s hard for people to understand what it is like trying to care for the sickest Covid patients. God Bless those who are back in those situations again!

Another note about N95s. They are great at protecting you from others, but they are not great at protecting others from you.
This comes from the n95 that have exhale valves to allow for easier exhales, this means unfiltered breath goes right through.

Two things with this:
1) A lot of n95s do not have valves
2) A study showed that even with vales they were much more effective at protecting others than basic cloth masks.

In case anyone is interested, this is a donning and doffing training video.

One important thing to note. This clinician gets to throw everything away, which is how it was prior to Covid, and perhaps at the beginning of Covid (when this video was made), before there were massive shortages of things like masks, shields and gowns, etc.

For those of us who had to re-use N95s and shields to one per shift or less, we didn’t get to throw them in the bucket, we had to store the contaminated N95s after taking them off very carefully, and put them back on very carefully with next use (which could be just a few minutes from last use). Contaminated shields had to be wiped down very carefully after each use with disinfecting wipes and hung up to dry. Life would’ve been a little easier if we were able to throw things away, as these things were all meant to be after single use.

So we had additional steps to what is shown here. (And basically, we all have nightmares just thinking about it.)

We have N95 masks at work and we don't do any fit testing. Never have. They come in a little individual plastic wrapped things and we pick one up on the way in every morning. For awhile we'd switched back to the KN95 masks, but a month ago they switched us back to these. They are horrible. Not the thickness or anything. Just that the elastic is stapled to the mask and the elastic is so tight (goes around your head, not behind your ears) that the staples dig into your cheek bones all day long. I don't guess I understand how you'd do fit testing when you get a new mask every day. Apparently this hospital is doing it wrong.

I don't guess I understand how you'd do fit testing when you get a new mask every day.
You don't do a fit test for each individual mask you put on. You just do a fit test with a few different types of mask to see which one is the correct fit for your face. Then it would be noted in your file that you fit in X mask. You would need to do another fit test annually, if you have changes to your face (like weight gain/loss), or if the particular brand/type of mask you were using is no longer available. Sounds like your workplace is only giving you all the same mask so there's nothing to compare between size/brand/style.

We have N95 masks at work and we don't do any fit testing. Never have. They come in a little individual plastic wrapped things and we pick one up on the way in every morning. For awhile we'd switched back to the KN95 masks, but a month ago they switched us back to these. They are horrible. Not the thickness or anything. Just that the elastic is stapled to the mask and the elastic is so tight (goes around your head, not behind your ears) that the staples dig into your cheek bones all day long. I don't guess I understand how you'd do fit testing when you get a new mask every day. Apparently this hospital is doing it wrong.
There a bunch of different sizes and styles. You get fitted to see what size you are.

Many (probably even most) of the people at my hospital fail the fit testing and have to use a PAPR system instead.

You don't do a fit test for each individual mask you put on. You just do a fit test with a few different types of mask to see which one is the correct fit for your face. Then it would be noted in your file that you fit in X mask. You would need to do another fit test annually, if you have changes to your face (like weight gain/loss), or if the particular brand/type of mask you were using is no longer available. Sounds like your workplace is only giving you all the same mask so there's nothing to compare between size/brand/style.
Yeah, they've taken a 1 size fits all approach here. Mostly I think bc the ones who make those decisions don't have to wear the masks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter