Nary a playground in sight...

lorenni

DIS Veteran
Who on earth decided that kids at DVC and/or deluxe resorts don't need playgrounds?

Has anyone been to the Fort Wilderness playground? Is it worth the boat ride from BLT/Contemporary?

Nary a playground? Oh, my! I never really noticed, but we're taking our DGDs in October (staying at OKW) and I just assumed there were playgrounds at each pool area, or at each quiet pool area.

Playgrounds in the hot Florida sun always sound miserable, to me. That's why splash areas seem to be talked about, more.

Some DVC's have playgrounds. SSR has one near the Congress Park quiet pool. There was one near Paddock, but that was removed for a much nicer splash area.

There is a great one at Jambo House at AKV behind the main pool. OKW had one at a quiet pool we visited. Kidani has an amazing splash area. All over epcot during flower and garden they had several cool playgrounds set up.

Playgrounds in the hot Florida sun always sound miserable, to me.

Exactly! Last week they closed the slide portion of the playground at F&G because it was too hot to slide down. It was only for a few hours, but my son was so disappointed. I told him his legs would hurt more going down the hot slide.

They would have to keep a staff member around to monitor the each DVC playground area. That means higher dues!

Who on earth decided that kids at DVC and/or deluxe resorts don't need playgrounds?

I've seen playgrounds at the DVCs I've stayed at.

One website I looked at said that BLT does have one. Have you asked? Another site said it was closed, but that was written for Contemporary at the time that Bay Lake was being built.

VWL has a great playground!

It is on the sandy beach area near the boat dock & bike rental area. It's nice and shady -- if you have little ones be aware that there is no barrier to keep them from falling into the lake if they get too close to the edge! ::yes::

Has anyone been to the Fort Wilderness playground? Is it worth the boat ride from BLT/Contemporary?

Fort Wilderness playground (or one of them) is RIGHT off the boat dock, making is very convenient off of a boat ride from BLT. It is also surrounded by trees, so may offer some more shade than others in other resorts. Bonus: it is also right next to Trail's End which has a walk up window to order drinks from that you could then enjoy on their decking looking out onto the playground or right at the playground. Better yet, take in the Hoop Dee Doo or a meal at Trail's End while you are there!

Nary a playground? Oh, my! I never really noticed, but we're taking our DGDs in October (staying at OKW) and I just assumed there were playgrounds at each pool area, or at each quiet pool area.

OKW has a playground near the main pool. It's basically behind the pool and sandy area.

I've seen playgrounds at the DVCs I've stayed at. One website I looked at said that BLT does have one. Have you asked? Another site said it was closed, but that was written for Contemporary at the time that Bay Lake was being built.

BLT does not have a playground. The contemporary used to, but it was removed.

We have been to the OKW playground - forgot about that one.

Thanks for other posters tip about Fort Wilderness - when I had called guest services yesterday they were checking on the closest playground but after about 8 minutes on hold I gave up. :) We're headed to HDD this afternoon so if the rains let up we'll head over early and definitely hit up that playground.

There's a nice little playground at SSR near the quiet pool in Congress Park. At least there was last time we were there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter