Navigating DLR, Pixar Pier Opening, and AP Blockouts June 18-30

It WAS busy today. Space Mountain and Splash were 100 min wait mid afternoon. That is significantly busier than last June. They extended hours at DCA to 11 and a CM said they will be extended tomorrow and the next night too.

The day was hard on my mom and her sister. They were discouraged because Pirates, Haunted Mansion, and a few other rides were all 45 to 60 minutes.

ETA: Roger Rabbit had an 80 min posted wait early evening when they thought they'd try that. They waited the 45 min each for Pirates and Haunted Mansion, but not for RR.
80 minutes for Roger Rabbit? :faint:

My dh has been having fun checking the DLR wait times before we go. So, we are used to WDW wait times...he keeps getting all excited cause Soarin is 30 mins vs the 120 mins we frequently see (even in Sept!!) and even POTC was like 20 on Saturday at what seemed like should be a crazy time. Even in Sept, POTC at WDW is much longer than 20 mins.

I'm not sure what the VidCon and unblocking and 40% off are going to do to the crowds, but at this point, we are feeling like the waits will still be less than what we are used to at WDW :)
Saturdays have a bunch of APs blocked. Always follow the APs. That's why people are upset about the last minute blockout calendar changes.

Saturdays have a bunch of APs blocked. Always follow the APs. That's why people are upset about the last minute blockout calendar changes.

My family is here for 6 days and ending a 13 month AP. We visited last summer for a week and several times for 1 to 3 days over those 13 months. We use FP well. My mom's sister is here for just 3 days. She has COPD and walks slowly. They were not interested in MP as she isn't a thrill seeker and also doesn't plan to do anything twice. They were just frustrated because it was very busy yesterday and there was very little you could do without waiting. I also didn't spend a lot of time with them yesterday because I stayed at my hotel until 2 and my mom isn't as good about FP. She doesn't care for them. They also got a late start. Today we're starting at DCA at opening and I'll be helping them make the most of her last day. The crowds did feel like busy October and my mom commented she was glad my dad chose not to come as he would have not been happy. I'm sure a lot of people were tourists, but I would say AP holders were taking advantage of the deal too. I took my little to see the Incredible preview and I've not seen the theater that full since Frozen musical was playing there.

My family is here for 6 days and ending a 13 month AP. We visited last summer for a week and several times for 1 to 3 days over those 13 months. We use FP well. My mom's sister is here for just 3 days. She has COPD and walks slowly. They were not interested in MP as she isn't a thrill seeker and also doesn't plan to do anything twice. They were just frustrated because it was very busy yesterday and there was very little you could do without waiting. I also didn't spend a lot of time with them yesterday because I stayed at my hotel until 2 and my mom isn't as good about FP. She doesn't care for them. They also got a late start. Today we're starting at DCA at opening and I'll be helping them make the most of her last day. The crowds did feel like busy October and my mom commented she was glad my dad chose not to come as he would have not been happy. I'm sure a lot of people were tourists, but I would say AP holders were taking advantage of the deal too. I took my little to see the Incredible preview and I've not seen the theater that full since Frozen musical was playing there.
I saw quite a few social media posts yesterday and the parks were looking packed - interestingly, some of the posts were from “unblocked” APs, but a lot were tourists - everyone just happened to go the same day. Mondays have been pretty terrible lately; I think a lot of people “avoid the weekends” or want value pricing and end up on Mondays.

I hope you guys have a more relaxing day today. I’m going to be there for PTN tonight with two little girls in elaborate light-up fairy wings, so say hi if you see me!

That is a really good point about Mondays being value days. That would explain a lot about the more recent trend for Mondays to be crowded days. Also, I think many people just assume Mondays aren't going to be crowded, especially while some schools are still in session. Then when they all show up in the parks... boom! Crowded!

That is a really good point about Mondays being value days. That would explain a lot about the more recent trend for Mondays to be crowded days. Also, I think many people just assume Mondays aren't going to be crowded, especially while some schools are still in session. Then when they all show up in the parks... boom! Crowded!
People absolutely assume Mondays aren't crowded in comparison to the weekends. I hear that all the time when friends are planning trips. I even have one friend from MN who was out here for a wedding and posted a picture from the park yesterday with a caption that it was so crowded she'd "hate to see what it's like on the weekends!" Well... we all know that Saturday and Sunday were a lot less crowded than yesterday! For some reason, a LOT of people tell me, "I think we'll go Monday and Tuesday; those are probably the least crowded days, right?" I'm not sure why it's such a common misconception, but it is.

As for pricing, I just looked, and every day so far in June has been "regular" pricing, so I guess that wasn't a factor this time! I do talk to people who picked their days for "value" pricing at other times, though.

I would personally be disappointed if I planned a trip with the expectation of lower crowds and then Disney changed blockouts or hosted a party or did something else on relatively short notice that could drastically affect crowd levels, park hours, or visit costs. That said, that's just my personal disappointment. I rather doubt the Disney corporation is concerned that some people are going to be disappointed by larger crowds because they will have achieved the larger crowds. More bodies through the gates leads to better revenue and/or metrics. They are a business. Since there are so many complaints of overcrowding in general despite the price increases and the closures and the construction and the silly games with the daily schedules, and people are still pouring through the gates and giving Disney their money, I doubt they will be overly concerned in the short term and possibly long term about the disgruntled guests asking for fewer people to be in the parks.

Agreed - I think my biggest gripe then was I was using my DVC points and I am not able to cancel a reservation without penalty without 30 days notice, and they added a 24 hour event to my dates with less than that as notice. All of that being said - like every other Disney trip - we make the most of it (weather, crowds, unexpected closures - whatever it may be) and always have an amazing time.

Looking at the lines right now in DL, it looks like a typical summer weekday right now. HM and POC at 40 minutes is pretty typically mid-day. RR is closed so I don’t know about that but there are literally only 3 rides in the park over an hour (mountains) and there are a lot of 5-20 minute waits posted. With FP this is a totally doable day!

Looking at the lines right now in DL, it looks like a typical summer weekday right now. HM and POC at 40 minutes is pretty typically mid-day. RR is closed so I don’t know about that but there are literally only 3 rides in the park over an hour (mountains) and there are a lot of 5-20 minute waits posted. With FP this is a totally doable day!

We visit in June regularly. The parks are busier than normal. And they extended DCA hours because of crowds. Today RSR was closed all morning, which I think impacted ride times. Mater was a 35 min wait at 9:15 (park opened at 9). FP return time for RSR was at 2-3:00 at 9:30. We waited an hour for GRR at 10:00, posted wait was at 45 when we got in line but it was after 11 when we got on. We were able to get a FP for Goofys that was usable within 20 mins. We lucked out and were able to use our FP for RSR right after it reopened. When we got off the FP line was down past Luigis halfway to Maters. I think the crowds are summer busy with added locals. It isn't horrible, but it is noticeable.

We visit in June regularly. The parks are busier than normal. And they extended DCA hours because of crowds. Today RSR was closed all morning, which I think impacted ride times. Mater was a 35 min wait at 9:15 (park opened at 9). FP return time for RSR was at 2-3:00 at 9:30. We waited an hour for GRR at 10:00, posted wait was at 45 when we got in line but it was after 11 when we got on. We were able to get a FP for Goofys that was usable within 20 mins. We lucked out and were able to use our FP for RSR right after it reopened. When we got off the FP line was down past Luigis halfway to Maters. I think the crowds are summer busy with added locals. It isn't horrible, but it is noticeable.
Also, keep in mind that somewhere in the ballpark of 2,000 riders per hour of capacity is offline at DCA right now. The Incredicoaster is around 1,500 riders per hour and TSMM is another 700-800 per hour. That's about 2,000 (or more) people per hour that have to be absorbed by other rides in the park. Ride closures don't just impact us by missing out on experiencing the attraction, it also impacts crowds throughout the rest of the park!

We will be in the parks this Thursday - Tuesday with 1 flex day off. What day would you guys recommend we skip the parks? Thanks!

Also, keep in mind that somewhere in the ballpark of 2,000 riders per hour of capacity is offline at DCA right now. The Incredicoaster is around 1,500 riders per hour and TSMM is another 700-800 per hour. That's about 2,000 (or more) people per hour that have to be absorbed by other rides in the park. Ride closures don't just impact us by missing out on experiencing the attraction, it also impacts crowds throughout the rest of the park!
It’s more than that. Incredicoaster if running at full capacity with 5 cars online will take about 2,000/hour. TSMM is close to 1,000/hour as is the fun wheel.

We will be in the parks this Thursday - Tuesday with 1 flex day off. What day would you guys recommend we skip the parks? Thanks!
I would personally recommend skipping Saturday, 6/16. It's the only Saturday SoCal and Deluxe AP's are valid for months around. However, there are viable reasons to skip Monday, as it's also been a consistently busy day because Select passes aren't blocked (as they are on Saturday). Saturday the 16th is a "peak" priced one day ticket (driving away some one day visitors), but Monday is "regular" priced day, increasing crowds. There's also the AP bring a friend discounted tickets to factor, so the peak pricing on Saturday may not be as burdensome.

Ultimately, I'd probably skip Saturday as more passholders are off work and accordingly can visit the parks. I imagine it's a coin toss.

Under past history (mine) I would skip Sunday or Monday. Saturdays have been much quieter than those 2 days for a few years now.

I was going to say Monday. Today was busy, but felt better than yesterday. Sunday was pleasant. Saturdays have been good the last few years, but as a PP mentioned this Saturday is not a full blockout and could be busy. So either Sat. Or Mon.

What does everyone think about DL only for Sunday 6/24? Will it be insane even if we stay out of DCA? My friends are coming from out of town and we would love to go together to DL but this is the only day I can go.

What does everyone think about DL only for Sunday 6/24? Will it be insane even if we stay out of DCA? My friends are coming from out of town and we would love to go together to DL but this is the only day I can go.
I would for sure plan for it to be busy, but if you keep away from the Pier area, or DCA it should be ok. I don’t think it will be a nightmare. I would get there early as well as parking tends to fill up on Sundays by afternoon time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter